Very Confronting

mixeduppup

A few of my FB friends are sharing this picture. One friend is terribly upset about it as she had no idea this was happening. I didn't realise people still had no idea that BYB is wrong. After she saw this picture she vowed never to BYB. I'm glad it got through to her, I didn't even know she was thinking about breeding her dogs.

Due to the response of my friends, I encourage people to share this picture.

byb_zps352e85a6.jpg

Good poster, but I don't agree that Gumtree should be animal free. It's a great free source of advertising for breeders or people trying to find their animals a new home (sometimes rehoming cannot be avoided). I've also seen it used to advertise foster animals. I've used it myself to find stray kittens good homes.

Neither do I. But anything to promote responsible dog ownership.

I agree. I couldn't stand hearing people say they did terrible things to their dogs just because they couldn't take care of them anymore. Dog owners should be more responsible with their dogs.

Is it assuming that all puppies bought from BYB will end up killed, in a pound or used a bait though? I kind of find that harsh and a bit offensive :( Yes, I got mine from a BYB because I was very uninformed back then and had no idea how wrong it was until I joined this forum. But my dog means the absolute world to me and is a part of my family, and I don't intend on "using him as bait" or putting him in a pound.

Is it assuming that all puppies bought from BYB will end up killed, in a pound or used a bait though? I kind of find that harsh and a bit offensive :( Yes, I got mine from a BYB because I was very uninformed back then and had no idea how wrong it was until I joined this forum. But my dog means the absolute world to me and is a part of my family, and I don't intend on "using him as bait" or putting him in a pound.

The truth is that most of them will. The consumer society far outweighs the carers.

I found my Maui on Gumtree and couldnt be happier.

+1. Just because ppl get a dog from gumtree doesn't mean they won't be a responsible owner. Not everyone gets their dogs from DOL ads ect and reg breeders do advertise via these outlets. A good friend is currently looking on gumtree for a companion for her and her first dog she found on gumtree. Even if I didn't like where she was looking its none of my business anyway.

Edited by german_shep_fan

Yeah I have to agree. It's not the best way to go about it, where the puppies are advertised is irrelevant. It's how they're bred that's the issue.

I'm not completely against BYB in and of itself - mainly because I feel that there IS room for mixed breed dogs in society...

However - I'm not a fan of handing off a pup to the first person that comes along with the right amount of money.

There are some BYB's out there who are a little more fussy about where their pups end up... and I think that we should be encouraging the people who breed one-off litters to make the effort to rehome them responsibly rather than throwing all that over-emotive shite at them. Abuse and denigration doesn't usually make converts to the cause if you will.

T.

Not all backyard bred puppies go onto to the fate depicted in this picture!

The other side of the coin is I'm sure there is pure bred dogs that end up in similar situations.

It should be more about education on breeding practices etc.

I wouldn't have my dogs if it wasn't for backyard breeders so I am not against them as such just against the way some of them go about it and the practices they use. Same could be said for Pure bred breeders, plenty of dodgy ones around. Like anything there is good and bad in everything these days.

Not all backyard bred puppies go onto to the fate depicted in this picture!

The other side of the coin is I'm sure there is pure bred dogs that end up in similar situations.

It should be more about education on breeding practices etc.

I wouldn't have my dogs if it wasn't for backyard breeders so I am not against them as such just against the way some of them go about it and the practices they use. Same could be said for Pure bred breeders, plenty of dodgy ones around. Like anything there is good and bad in everything these days.

There are five puppies in that picture, only two of them don't face terrible futures. I wonder what the actual stats are in comparison.

Sadly; I don't think it would be too far off.