Irresponsible People In Dog And Animal World.

LisaCC

Im so very frustrated by some people at the moment.

I study Animal Science at uni, I have other friends who study the same as well as Vet (and a number of other animal related degrees).

This last year there have been many instances of people who (should) know better doing wrong things, like a group of Conservation science girls going to a primate tourist attraction in Thailand (involving monkeys being chained and trained cruelly etc) for fun.

But this one hit closer to home today.

One particular friend who will actually be fully qualified Vet in a few short months was having a problem with her BYB red Border Collie pup. She has been needing to lock him up in the laundry when she is not home as he is climbing fences and trying to escape when ever possible, the yard is actually very secure he is just an amazing climber. He is around 8mths now so I suggested possible getting him desexed as it might stop him from wondering (I know its not the fix all, just thought it may help in this particular case).

The response I got.. "I don't want to get him desexed because he should have puppies, he is just too pretty not to. Oh and he would get fat".banghead.gif

This I can understand from general public.. every one knows there is a lot of people with views like this. But this woman will be a vet very soon! She knows all the problems that can happen, she just obviously doesn't care because he is "pretty". I can't imagine her giving out good advise to people about dog breeding when she is actually out in the industry.

I was planning on showing her the 'Sick border collier pup thread' but of course anything I say will not taken seriously as she is a Vet student and I just study animal...

I hope its not a common thing and that it's restricted more to students, but are there many people in the Industry that do actually know better... but just don't care?

Writing this has actually made me more sad than frustrated :(

Just because somebody is about to be a vet does not necessarily make them responsible or even knowledgeable about things that were not specifically taught (and even sometimes things that were taught).

I find that many young vets will learn more in 12 months of real vet experience, than they did during their entire time at uni :p

Many will take much longer than this to become humble and realize that they do not know everything yet, despite being a qualified vet.

Maybe once she treat a few dozen completely avoidable hereditary byb illnesses and ha to put some of those dogs to sleep herslelf she will gain some perspective. Maybe.

the vet we took our sharpei to be desexed at actually gave me a lecture about doing it as he had a female and apparently he would produce amazing puppies with her :banghead:

would hate to know how many people he has actually talked out of desexing their pets..

needless to say we found another vet quick smart.

the vet we took our sharpei to be desexed at actually gave me a lecture about doing it as he had a female and apparently he would produce amazing puppies with her :banghead:

would hate to know how many people he has actually talked out of desexing their pets..

needless to say we found another vet quick smart.

:eek:

Can you somehow report that as unethical conduct?

Edited by minimax

This is the problem. Breeding your dogs in a BYB setting isn't illegal, so a lot of the general public think that we're all just crazy dog nutters because, what's wrong with having puppies? Especially if their vet doesn't have a problem with it....

Edited by Aussie3

Maybe once she treat a few dozen completely avoidable hereditary byb illnesses and ha to put some of those dogs to sleep herslelf she will gain some perspective. Maybe.

BlackJaq I hope that ends up being true, and I also hope she doesn't breed from him before she comes to that realisation.

Love.is.a.pet. That is what worries me, that she and more people will end up doing that to their clients.

Most of the vets I've met have nothing against BYB's :shrug:

That's probably because they make so much money off of their clients that have them...

This is true. Not every vet actually cares for animals or even likes them. Sad, but true. Some people are in the profession for money.

Edited by BlackJaq

Most of the vets I've met have nothing against BYB's :shrug:

Yep, they are good money spinners as well for them. If a purebred comes in with an issue they immediately say it's because it is inbred, a cross has the same condition it's just bad luck. There are very few vets who understand the dog world and their vet nurses give out a lot of misinformation as well.

The large vet I used to work for promoted pet shop puppies very hard, because they were a great source of income for them, with vaccinations, puppy school and health plans.....they were very much in the pet shops pockets in terms of sales.

One day I braoched the subject with senior management and was told everyone deserves to have a dog, it's a right.....

Edited by Willow

The vet who we last took Kody to (purebred Finnish Lapphund) told me that we should have gotten a cross breed because they have less health problems due to hybrid vigour.

Having said that, he had to look up lappies because he had never even heard of them.

There are people in all walks of dog/animal world that have the potential to bother us including the "leaders".

The best you can do is keep your own house in order, step up productively where you think you can make a difference, and save your energy where you can't. I also consider carefully what boundaries I should put around any situation. We will never stop all the idiots and help all the dogs - it's just not possible, progress is a slow business. I am not afraid to say "unacceptable" to someone considered senior to me, if I've given it due consideration. But there really has to be some context where saying that is both safe for me and my dogs, and likely to be productive. There are also ways to say "not good enough" that are not snotty or uncaring or judgemental.

Likewise, if you're looking for something to be mad at because of unresolved personal issues, you can always find grist for the mill in dog world. I see it a bit with rescue and rants here on DOL, rushing to judge before understanding the situation properly just because the person needs to vent. Often becomes a bit embarrassing once all the facts are laid out. Perhaps there are better ways of dealing with those feelings.

Why so surprised about the future vet some of the worst BYB in our breed are vets & of course many vets encourage there clients to breed there dog .

They are some of the worse supporters of BYB/puppy farms & many are those exact things themselves

Edited by showdog

Showdog, I guess I've just been lucky enough to have mostly met good vets. All the vets I've seen with my own animals, worked with, or been lectured by have been against back yard breeding and very much for desexing.

Hence the question of me asking in the first place is this widespread outside of students?