Pet Insurance Non Rant

Guest donatella

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mish

Most of the hollards backed insurance (ie all of them except All nz) have a cap (benefit limit) on how much they will pay on any single condition - usually about the same as the annual amount eg $10K to $15K. What your dog has is called a "chronic condition" ie treatment is ongoing and there is no cure...

Chronic Condition Limit means the maximum amount we will pay over

the lifetime of your Pet for a Chronic Condition or a Recurring Condition

suffered by your Pet. This amount is restricted to the annual Benefit Limit

that applied in the Policy Period when the Condition first manifested.

Once this maximum amount has been paid, we will not pay for any

further Treatment of that or any related Condition during the remainder

of the Policy Period or any future Policy Period.

So after that - it's hardly worth paying the premium. Ie if you have $15K saved up - that's the most any of the Hollards ones will pay out. Unless your dog finds a different way to injure each bit of itself each year. And note - that's half a dog. Any bit it has two of - Hollards only pay on the first bit to get injured. Eg one hip, one knee etc.

But don't forget that insurance is there as a just in case - it is no different than any other aspect of your life that you insure. To be honest I get more out of my pet insurance than my own health insurance!

There is no entitlement or absolute right to it if your dog is ill/ injured - you still have to fit within the policy limits.

I'm glad I found this thread. Ive been recently looking at getting pet insurance for my clan, but have been a bit unconvinced. I have multiple dogs, and the premium is about $600 a month for all of them. While I was getting quotes I was absolutely disgusted to find that they charge more (and a fair bit more) for a purebred than a mixed breed, or designer dog. Unbelievable. When I rang one company, they asked me a heap of questions, I answered them honestly, and they told me that my answers were fine, but for my breed (Cavaliers) they doubt that he has no health issues, so they would insure him (he's seven, almost eight) BUT if ANYTHING happens and it turns out he has a pre-existing condition (even one I SHOULD of known about) then they would 1. find out and 2. not cover him. I hang up on her, she was SO rude, and haven't looked into it any further. I thought maybe it was just one company but they ALL charge more for purebreds, and I'm sure the pet industry is the same as regular insurance, and Ive just had a NIGHTMARE time getting money off them for something else! lol.

I'm going to go with my gut now, and just save up some money for disasters.

I took out insurance with Pet Insurance Australia for my 2 dogs a couple of months before they turned 8. Currently my premiums are $45/month/dog and that is after a significant increase. This means that over the past 3 years, I have paid out a lot less than $2,000 per dog in premiums. In that time, I have received approx $6,000 for Casper for various ailments and, after I get money back from my most recent claims, they will have paid out approx $10,000 for Bella's cancer this year.

I have been able to take care of my animals' medical treatments without worrying about the cost. I will NEVER have a pet without insurance again.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest donatella

Well I finally got my money for my $340 bill.

They paid $78. They paid for the 2 discharge antibiotics and the IV fluids :rofl:

I can't wait to call them on Monday and ask why the rest of the bill is exempt seeing as she is covered for hospital and overnight stay (which is the bulk of the bill $250).

Honestly, I am getting anxiety just waiting to see what they say about the puppies $7000 broken bones claim.

Its Bow Wow Meow for me .All of my puppy buyers are advised to go with them for at lest the first 12 months as this is the primary risk time - if something like a reaction to a vaccine etc shows its usually in the first year .If I had a breed prone to HD Id probably advise the first 2 years and they get the first few weeks free. But all of my puppies go out with a health care card with every thing in them from time and weights at birth and every little thing that happens between birth and when they go home .They also have a vet certificate giving them an all clear or if something shows up such as an umbilical hernia etc there is a notice in writing from the vet about what that is and how or if it may affect the dog through out its life. If the insurance company wanted anything its easily accessible.

I'm also with Bow Wow Meow, and have been for a few years now and they have been great - I get an text message a few days after I send in my claim to say they have received it, and within approx 10 days, the claim has been paid to my account. Worth every cent I believe.

I can't wait to call them on Monday and ask why the rest of the bill is exempt seeing as she is covered for hospital and overnight stay (which is the bulk of the bill $250).

Monday is a public holiday, you may have to wait til Tuesday.

I know someone who had Medibank and they wouldn't even pay out for an ear infection on a young dog under 12 months who had no other history but vacs and desexing.

Your experience sounds much better minxy!

I have been with Medibank for 3 years, and they have been wonderful. They don't cover any of her behavioural consults or meds, none of the Hollards ones do (which also includes Woolworths which was mentioned earlier and many others), but they have had to cover an awful lot of accidents she has had while exhibiting her behavioural issues, and I've had the money within two weeks every time. I only had to send her history the first time. She is also a rescue, and they just accepted that I didn't know a thing about her before 6 months.

I pay $54.95 per month for top cover and more or less have broken even every year - bearing in mind she's young, that's great, since you can reasonable expect to be out of pocket in the first half of the insurances life and then begin to recoup in the form of claims after a few years.

The only thing is that they don't guarantee continuous cover after 8 years - so it's worth switching to another one that does - like RSPCA - before that time.

Have had pet insurance for around 6 years - over 2 dogs and a cat - with RSPCA (Hollard is behind it) and never have had an issue getting claims processed and paid promptly. This included with a chronically ill dog with numerous claims over an extended period.

It has certainly paid for itself many times over.

If pet insurance, on average, paid for itself many times over, the companies would all go broke. The people who come out ahead are quick to tell their stories. I suspect there are lots of people who pay year after year and never make a claim. These people aren't so quick to speak up. A company that has been good is likely to turn difficult if word comes down from on high that the're running in the red and need to reduce payouts.

Hi Lou_x

I am with PetSecure. Been with them for many years, no trouble. First Dog had to have MRI etc., many thousands of dollars spent.Never a query, just provide the signed/paid vet accts. You get around 80% back. On the larger claims I found they are a little slow in paying, but it does come. Current dog has ongoing medications, cheque (smaller amounts) received usually 7-10 days. Can recommend. Personally wouldnt be without Insurance, things seem to happen later in their life, and can be very expensive.

Have had pet insurance for around 6 years - over 2 dogs and a cat - with RSPCA (Hollard is behind it) and never have had an issue getting claims processed and paid promptly. This included with a chronically ill dog with numerous claims over an extended period.

It has certainly paid for itself many times over.

If pet insurance, on average, paid for itself many times over, the companies would all go broke. The people who come out ahead are quick to tell their stories. I suspect there are lots of people who pay year after year and never make a claim. These people aren't so quick to speak up. A company that has been good is likely to turn difficult if word comes down from on high that the're running in the red and need to reduce payouts.

Well yes Captain Obvious! Pet Insurance is no different than health, car, contents insurances etc.

I've had my car and home contents insured for 17 years and never made a claim on either but it is there for piece of mind in case I need to.

Insurance companies can't just reduce payouts - if your claim is within the parameters of the policy then it needs to be paid. If they don't then there is the ombudsman to help resolve.

I am not a fan of any insurance for things that I feel that I can pay for. I have house and contents and car insurance, for obvious reasons. We even have income and life insurance but they will go once the mortgage is paid. I have health insurance but only because we get penalised if we don't have it.

For the dogs I put extra into the mortgage, in fact all my savings go into the mortgage!

I have heard nothing but bad things about pet insurance. Lady at the vet told me her that her insurance company rejected a claim as they deemed her staffy x as a restricted breed! But they were happy to take the premiums for five years :eek:

Guest donatella

Well I submitted Bonnie's claim and they paid it all within 2 weeks no questions, no delays, I have over $5000 deposited (the 80% of of the $7000 something bill).

I will be keeping my insurance.

Very thankful to have it in terms of accidents, harder to claim for illness but with the accident claim they have been wonderful :thumbsup:

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

well so far Bonnie has earnt her insurance, I've had it for 3 months at $7 a week and have got over $5000 back. can't bulk at that :winner:

If te difference between life and death is pet insurance, I will always have it. My girl would be dead by now if I didnt because I couldnt afford the thousands of dollars in treatment. In the past I was in a postioin where I had to decide whether I put down a (seemingly healthy )puppy or pay the thousands required to save him. I paid, because I was lucky enough to have a bit of money from the sale of a house, it turns out he needn't have been put down because he didnt have what they thought he did. The thought I nearly agreed to put him to sleep because of money, makes me sick, especially since it was unnecessary. I will never be without insurance again, I don't ever want to have to make that decision again. If I pay insurance for years without making a claim, so be it, at least I know I don't have to decide their fate because of money if something happens to them.

Guest donatella

Yep, with the accident claim I couldn't be happier!! Im not impressed with the illness side of things but I'm about ready to shrug it off with the amount I got back for Bonnie. Only $1400 out of pocket for her surgery instead of over $7000. Very lucky at this point in time!!

Yep, with the accident claim I couldn't be happier!! Im not impressed with the illness side of things but I'm about ready to shrug it off with the amount I got back for Bonnie. Only $1400 out of pocket for her surgery instead of over $7000. Very lucky at this point in time!!

Great to hear Don. How is little Bonnie going?