Newborn Pups- How To Tell If They Are Too Hot?

SLF

The pups are less than 24hrs old, and its going to be 40*c plus today, and for the next 5 or so days...I dont have air con.

I have Mum and pups in the coolest part of the house, with silver shade mesh over the windows on the outside, but Im sure its going to still be very very warm.

I can tell if Mum is hot, but how to tell if pups are too warm?

I have a temperature gauge in the whelping box, and an area with just newspaper not vetbed for them to move too. I have a fan set up for air flow (but not directly at them)

At the very worst I can move them to my Mother in Laws, but I'd rather not move them as it might upset first time Mum.

what do you think? thanks

Put some plastic water bottles in the freezer, you'll need a few for today so as one melts you can replace it. Wrap them in a thick towel so they dont get freezer burn and place them in the box. If the pups are hot they will move towards the cool towel.

Edited by Kirislin

Frozen plastic water bottles and frozen hot water bottles are great.

With my puppies the key sign was if they were unsettled. Every time in the first couple of weeks that they were particularly unsettled and whingey they were hot. If I put a frozen hot water bottle in there with a towel over it and placed them on it they would shut up sleep immediately.

I did this with my pups and still do. They move away if too cold. I have kept a couple of pups and they are now 9weeks old but they still prefer the frozen water bottles to the aircon. When they were a few days old I started using the bottles and as they grew a couple would actually drape themselves over the bottles and would move away when cool

frozen HW bottles and also just the freeze things for eskies .. wrap them , or slip them into an old 'explorer 'type sock ... place a few around the bed ..Mums often like resting their heads on one ..and once you show the pups, they will drape themselves over the cold bottles when needed :)

I like the flat cooler packs that you can wrap around a bottle. Freeze them flat and cover with a towel so the puppies can stretch out belly down on them if they are really hot. My litter born in a heat wave used to scream if they were too hot.

A frozen tub of water infront of a fan works like an aircon and keeps the moisture in the air.

Like all those above - Frozen bottles, freezer packs or even cool mat or wet towels - all work for bubs. Watch for dehydration thats always my concern in the heat - I really hate having puppies at this time of the year and we have aircon - still I avoid it if I can.

thankyou, we had a bad day here bushfires very close to the house only about 10kms away. Thankfully we all remained safe and the puppies didnt get too hot.

Lots of wipedowns with wet cloths, frozen water bottles. Their Mum did a great job for her first litter such a great MUM. My sister came and helped me as I was busy organising CFA jobs and watching for embers so she took such great care of my beloved puppies

Here's hoping we dont have to do that again

The pups are less than 24hrs old, and its going to be 40*c plus today, and for the next 5 or so days...I dont have air con.

what do you think? thanks

I used semi frozen hot water bottles - four of them during the heat of the day. Two in with puppies and two in the freezer. I used a pillow case wrapped twice around as I found towels too thick. They would fight over lying on the bottles :D

1 week old

post-1582-0-08485600-1357351934_thumb.jpg

Around 5 weeks

post-1582-0-07597100-1357351991_thumb.jpg