Koala

CHA

I just heard my dogs carrying on and went outside to find they had bailed up a koala. One of them came away when called, but the terrier kept at it. We finally grabbed her when she went in a headlock with the koala. She only seems to have a couple of scratches on her nose, but I am concerned about what may have happened if we were not home to intervene. The koala seems fine, got up off the ground and jumped up the tree. How do I teach her NOT to attack wildlife? What would the koala do if she kept at it. I fear that because we were there trying to remove her, it may have seemed to her that we were cheering her on and encouraged her to attack more. I know I have to work on her recall more, but what about when we're not home?

Any advice gratefully received.

Yes the koala is on our property, we live in the suburbs. They come and go a lot and we see them a lot more in the hot weather. I wonder why it didn't rush up a tree when the dogs started barking at it. They seem to have no fear.

Koala's pass through ou-rt yard, so we have a temp fence around the decking so they can pass through in peace with the dogs on 'this' side. Prior to that, A koala actually came into the house and started shredding one of our greyhounds :-(

Edited by anniek

Wow shredding one of your greyhounds! Poor koalas - their claws are huge which I would think is their only defence, but a pretty good one. My son who pulled the dog off the koala said he was actually more concerned for the dog than the koala. I'm so worried that all's not going to end well if I'm not here, either way, for the dog or the koala.

Koala's pass through ou-rt yard, so we have a temp fence around the decking so they can pass through in peace with the dogs on 'this' side. Prior to that, A koala actually came into the house and started shredding one of our greyhounds :-(

:eek: that's scary!!

Yes I would be more concerned about what the koala could do, crazy claws. A run is probably a good idea.

I think all you can do is make sure the dogs are always locked away when you're not home. Be it inside the house or in a secure run. My Sammys are avid hunters and recently one of the 8 month olds got a possum. :(

I keep them locked up when I can't be there to watch.

Edited by Bjelkier

You might wish to contact your local wildlife group and ask about the koala. Native animals are very prone to infection from even minor wounds from dogs, they'll probably want to come out and have a look.

There's a possum who seems to live in a tree out the back, it's planted on the other dual occupancy's side but hangs over the fence to my backyard. It always stays up on the tree when I see it and the dogs bark at it from the ground but I figure it's smart enough to stay out of their way.

On new years day evening though I heard them barking at Possum, went out to look and she has a baby! It was on her back staring down at us. I had a stern talk to mummy possum telling her not to come over our side of the fence in case baby falls. I would absolutely hate to find it had fallen and the dogs had hurt it, or worse :(

When I was in Brissy we had heaps of palm trees and male possums would get in huge fights and eventually one would knock the other out of the tree. My Sibe would be on it in seconds if one fell out. I locked the dogs up at night to try and prevent the dogs getting any of them but it's hard when they come into your yard, if you have a prey driven dog they can be on 'intruders' in seconds.

We keep our two inside when unsupervised. We live next to a huge nature reserve, and since our trees have been in fruit we've had three possums move in for the summer. One is the biggest, loudest, boldest brush tail I've ever seen :eek:

They went insane on NYE, the noise drove our little rescue mad (fireworks didn't bother him, but boy did they bother the possums and he was terrified!)

It's probably best to keep them well away from our marsupials. Feisty, powerful little creatures they are.

Koalas can inflict nasty wounds to dogs but they also succumb to stress very easily, in this heat they will be more vulnerable as they are going to ground to get water it is a good idea to place a few bowls around for them. Even though it is hard keeping the dogs away if you know they are around is a good idea not only for the koala but also for the dogs as not only are they at risk of injury they can get too worked up and overheat themselves

Edited by behluka

Untreed drop bear.