Pet Insurance Policy Change

jata

Hi Everyone

Today I received a letter from Medibank in regards to Winnies insurance and it seems there have been a few changes which I am unsure of.

Winnie has had Gold cover with Medibank for the last 3 years 100% cover, $100 excess and it costs me $25 monthly. It now seems that Medibank have changed Winnies policy to now 80% cover, $100 excess and now $30 monthly :mad

There was a thread on here not that long ago about people saying that 'new' policies were under the new rules of only 80% cover but if your pet was already on the 'old' system then their policy would still be 100% cover and the changes only affect new policies.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

Can't shed light on medibank, but I just left my old insurer for a new one as they did the same thing (and the line was it was in keeping with the rest of the industry). Glad I did change as I'm on an overall better deal now, but I think it's sneaky and sly to change the policy like this as it isn't what was signed up to.

Thanks Emma :)

Yep very disappointing, not what signed up for either, new policies fair enough, but to change someones existing one is just crap, and not only that they have the cheek to also put up the monthly fee! Ive just lost twice! They could at least lower the excess or the monthly charge, not put it up on top of taking a slice out of the cover :mad

Can't shed light on medibank, but I just left my old insurer for a new one as they did the same thing (and the line was it was in keeping with the rest of the industry). Glad I did change as I'm on an overall better deal now, but I think it's sneaky and sly to change the policy like this as it isn't what was signed up to.

May I ask who you are insured with now & why?

The whole insurance thing & which one to choose is very confusing atm as I would like, what most want, value for money.

Feel free to PM me if that suits you, thanks :)

The whole insurance thing & which one to choose is very confusing atm as I would like, what most want, value for money.

I changed to Petplan. Just before Hamish came home I did a bundle of research (as between signing Kenz up and getting Hamish was when they did the policy change). As you'd know with old Emma's medical history I'm a bit scared of not having insurance, and for those who don't know - in her last 6 months of life I spent about $10,000 all of which would have been covered by insurance if she had been insured (too old when I got her)!!!

So Kenzie was with 1300Insurance, but they did the swap from 100% cover to 75% cover, premium went up, more research made me realise that they only cover things for the first 12 months they have the problem then it counts as a chronic condition which is pre-existing and they won't cover it any more.

Changed to Petplan because the premium was the same as what I was paying, the payouts would be similar to what I would have gotten with 1300 or better, excess was less, and they cover conditions for life. After having a diabetic dog that's really important to me!

I changed to Petplan. Just before Hamish came home I did a bundle of research (as between signing Kenz up and getting Hamish was when they did the policy change). As you'd know with old Emma's medical history I'm a bit scared of not having insurance, and for those who don't know - in her last 6 months of life I spent about $10,000 all of which would have been covered by insurance if she had been insured (too old when I got her)!!!

So Kenzie was with 1300Insurance, but they did the swap from 100% cover to 75% cover, premium went up, more research made me realise that they only cover things for the first 12 months they have the problem then it counts as a chronic condition which is pre-existing and they won't cover it any more.

Changed to Petplan because the premium was the same as what I was paying, the payouts would be similar to what I would have gotten with 1300 or better, excess was less, and they cover conditions for life. After having a diabetic dog that's really important to me!

These days I don't see how any new dog owner would go with anyone but PetPlan. Everyone else just seems to be screwing people over with less cover and higher premiums. I mean, yes PetPlan are also raising premiums/raising the excess etc but they still have the best cover.

I thought they could only change the price when your policy renews each year?

Yes I was pretty sure this was the case, you sign up for 12 months of insurance and nothing can cahnge until that 12 months is up. Unless maybe this is a monthly thing?

Problem with pet insurance compared to house/car etc is that if you decide you want to change and the dog is an older dog, you may find you either cannot get insured or you'll have to pay more than the original amount anyway. They have you by the balls.

I had the same thing with Medibank, I have had 100% cover for around 4 years and got a letter saying they had switched me to 80% cover. So my cover went down 20% but my premium went up 20% over $100 in one hit! It is now around 620 per year. They told me that it was because Jake turns 10 this year. Problem is I can't switch now as he is too old. They also could not tell me whether the big hike only happens from age 9 to 10 or whether it will go up that much ever year. If it keeps going up that much I may have to rethink.

Having said that Medibank have been great so far and paid out for Jake's cruciate op with no problem at all within about 5 days of my sending the paperwork in. They are always quick to pay up when I have made claims for the preventative cover you get under Gold Paw.

:thanks:

I thought they could only change the price when your policy renews each year?

Yes I was pretty sure this was the case, you sign up for 12 months of insurance and nothing can cahnge until that 12 months is up. Unless maybe this is a monthly thing?

Problem with pet insurance compared to house/car etc is that if you decide you want to change and the dog is an older dog, you may find you either cannot get insured or you'll have to pay more than the original amount anyway. They have you by the balls.

Errr... Correct. :)

I just got a letter from Medibank yesterday as well. I was paying $220 a year for Kyojin on the Silver cover, with a $500 excess. They said that I will now get up to 80% back on bills, $200 excess (So no option to pay a higher excess to reduce premium) and my yearly fee has gone from $220 to $490 - to cover the rising cost of veterinary care. So it's more than doubled, and I now get less for it. I have been stoked with Medibank so far, but to double the cost of my fees AND reduce what I get back from them is ridiculous. I'm going to call PetPlan and see whether they'll cover Kyojin since he's already had one surgery on one patella, because I can pay the same amount for them on the 100% money back option.

My policy with Pet Insurance Australia was also changed the same way, premiums went up, excess went from $500 to $200 and cover went from 100% to 80%. As both my dogs developed conditions while with PIA, I would not be able to cover them for these conditions under a different insurer. Despite this, I have been pleased with the money they paid out for Bella's cancer bills.

I got a letter too. The same thing only my policy cost had decreased.

However once I am fully paid out for my last claim I will be cancelling the policy since Toby passed away and I no longer have any use for it.

FYI - policies are an annual policy so you will need to either keep paying monthly or pay out the remaining months before they cancel if you've made a claim in that policy year.

I got a letter too. The same thing only my policy cost had decreased.

However once I am fully paid out for my last claim I will be cancelling the policy since Toby passed away and I no longer have any use for it.

FYI - policies are an annual policy so you will need to either keep paying monthly or pay out the remaining months before they cancel if you've made a claim in that policy year.

Ah ok Toby passed away in November 2012 so I will call them tomorrow :)