Puppy Saved With Vodka

HeelerLove

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/vodka-the-tonic-as-poisoned-pup-cleo-get-an-alcohol-cure-from-vet/story-e6frf7kx-1226553878297

Saw this on the news last night. Obviously treating the poor pup was first priority, but I would have thought that dosing a 10 week old puppy with a bottle and a half of vodka in under 72 hours (ninemsn reports it was 48 but who knows with news these days?) could cause some pretty harmful side effects?

Guest Labradork

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/vodka-the-tonic-as-poisoned-pup-cleo-get-an-alcohol-cure-from-vet/story-e6frf7kx-1226553878297

Saw this on the news last night. Obviously treating the poor pup was first priority, but I would have thought that dosing a 10 week old puppy with a bottle and a half of vodka in under 72 hours (ninemsn reports it was 48 but who knows with news these days?) could cause some pretty harmful side effects?

Yeah, me too.

I'm surprised that the puppy doesn't have brain damage after having ethelene glycol and (a huge amount of) alcohol in its system. They don't mention it in the article, so I'm assuming she's okay.

eta

I didn't like the way they glamourized alcohol in the photo.

Edited by Labradork

It does have it's uses. An old time breeder told me in the case of seizuring newborns to give them a bit of brandy which relaxes the brain and prevents more seizures and gives you time to get the their body temperature up and then feed them.

Pretty quick thinking on the vet's part - I wonder how many other vets would think of that?

Well at times other than Christmas most of us wouldn't have an immediately accessible stash of vodka in the clinic, no matter how much we thought it would be a good idea :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Other forms of alcohol such as IV infusions are pretty hard to come by so oral administration is the most convenient option.

I did once watch an episode of All Saints though, where the 'rogue' bad boy doctor had to treat a case of ethylene glycol toxicity. He went to the bottle shop and came back with a case of Wild Turkey, not vodka. Thought that was a novel twist, lol.