Nose Pigmentation

CollieChaos

My new BC pup's nose has gradually been getting more pigmentation on it as he has grown (he is still with the breeders, getting him thursday), its covering probably 70% of his nose now, at what age would I expect the change to stop? I am worried about sun damage and am hoping it will fully colour up, but if not, what are the options for protecting his nose? Does anyone have any sunscreen recommendations? (human sunscreen is not safe?) Thanks in advance for any input ^.^

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Aussie has a butterfly nose, mainly liver but with pink bits at each side, her nose colour was pretty much the same since she was a pup, it didn't fill in much at all after we got her at 12 weeks. I do put sunscreen on her (dog sunscreen, I buy it online) but she licks it off a lot *rolleyes*, so who knows if it actually helps!

I know you can get their noses tattooed to protect against the sun.

Hi CollieChaos :)

Could you also ask his breeder, they might be able to advice whats best for his nose and also and if it will colour up more? :) Most breeders are usually more than happy to be asked questions about their breed :)

We had a foster dog at one stage with pink on her nose and i used just a very small amount of kid friendly sunscreen lotion on him .

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I have seen nose pigment change up until 18-24 months but it depends on the breed & lines, so ask the breeder.

Tattooing does nothing to stop sunburn - ask anyone with a tat if they've ever been sunburned on their ink :laugh:

Yes thats true Sandra !

Ive got a little tatt on my chest and I have been sunburnt badly over the top of it in the past ouch ! :(

I have seen nose pigment change up until 18-24 months but it depends on the breed & lines, so ask the breeder.

Tattooing does nothing to stop sunburn - ask anyone with a tat if they've ever been sunburned on their ink :laugh:

True, why do people do it then? Just to have a full coloured nose?

Has to be asked - how many people DO actually do it though. It's spoken about as if it happens every day, I have heard such and such dog has had it done and so and so does it all the time but in over 30 years I have seen two dogs I believe have had their noses altered, one was a lovely shiny black on an otherwise badly pigmented brindle and the other was on a red pied, unfortunately her nose turned dark blue after about 6 months - oops!!!!!!!!!

If it is done then I would guess if it's a show dog it's probably done to "deceive", if it's a pet it's probably people believing the old wife's tale that it will stop sunburning. Honestly you'd think the tattoo artist would know it doesn't stop the sun & would tell people this?

Has to be asked - how many people DO actually do it though. It's spoken about as if it happens every day, I have heard such and such dog has had it done and so and so does it all the time but in over 30 years I have seen two dogs I believe have had their noses altered, one was a lovely shiny black on an otherwise badly pigmented brindle and the other was on a red pied, unfortunately her nose turned dark blue after about 6 months - oops!!!!!!!!!

If it is done then I would guess if it's a show dog it's probably done to "deceive", if it's a pet it's probably people believing the old wife's tale that it will stop sunburning. Honestly you'd think the tattoo artist would know it doesn't stop the sun & would tell people this?

:eek: Thanks Sandra, I thought it would be cosmetic for showing etc. You're right though there are lots of people who "know someone who got it done" :laugh:

Try the black it (De NOSE NOS) used on show dogs to fill in colour, it sticks hard and fast so would be harder to lick off, also you can get a product that will "set" it so it would last longer as well it is a natural gum used in cooking and beauty products and when mixed with water sets like gelatine only way better, you would need to mix the 2 components together and then paint on with fine brush.

Edited by zeebie

I do agility training with a chocolate BC who has problems with her nose. Her nose is pigmented (liver) but the top gets sunburnt and rubbed raw very easily. ''Merry" is allergic to sunscreen, so her wonderful mum has made her a collection of nose 'hats'. :)

I will see if I can get a piccy next time I see her.

Most Border Collies should have a fully pigmented nose by 6 weeks. If this isn't happening they need to make changes to their breeding program. Having said that the nose can keep pigmenting for 6-12 months. The old remedy used to be giving Ironcyclen tonic for greyhounds but I haven't heard of anyone using it for years because it is a rarely encountered problem from well bred dogs.

Some parti coloured Cavliers have poor pigment. They often take a bit of time to fill in. One of my bitches had a bit of pink on the side and that finally filled in bit by bit to be complete at 18 months. I have seen qute a few Pet Shop Cavs with considerably pink pigment. All the pups I've breed have had complete black noses by 6 weeks. Pink pigment is considered a fault in Show dogs and I have actually heard a judge exclaim "why do breeders insist on using these dogs with poor pigment"...a very good question indeed.

Sid's nose had all its pigment by the time he was 12 weeks.

He also has heaps more around his lips and eyes now (and on his body) too, but that took a lot longer.

puppypied1358930772.jpg

copyofdsc72991358930772.jpg

copydsc13271358930772.jpg

Edited by huga

Sid was nothing but cute looking!

Dancinbcs, I'm surprised to hear that even Merle well bred BCs shoul have a fully pigmented nose by 6 weeks. I know Aussie Sheps are a different breed, but given that their colour genetics are so similar I'm surprised because the Aussie standard allows up to 12 months for "final" pigmentation.

I'm not doubting you, just saying I'm surprised, and wondering why it's so different.

Dancinbcs, I'm surprised to hear that even Merle well bred BCs shoul have a fully pigmented nose by 6 weeks. I know Aussie Sheps are a different breed, but given that their colour genetics are so similar I'm surprised because the Aussie standard allows up to 12 months for "final" pigmentation.

I'm not doubting you, just saying I'm surprised, and wondering why it's so different.

I was talking about solids. No one mentioned anything about merles and the number of what I call well bred merles is very, very few. I could almost count the actual dogs on one hand and have only ever seen 3 in the showring here. Most merles come from coloured puppy farmers who breed only for colour, not quality.

Regardless of the fact that a lot of merles do lack pigment the breed standard still says "The nose colour in all dogs will be a solid colour with no pink or light pigment, and shall complement the background colour of the dog."

Oh sorry dancinbcs, I hadn't registered that merle wasn't mentioned in this thread. The pup in question is blue merle and from photos posted in the puppy forum has a pink nose with increasing black pigment as he gets older. He is very cute :) !

I don't know who the breeder is and don't know BC breeders either so can't comment on them.

I was talking about solids. No one mentioned anything about merles and the number of what I call well bred merles is very, very few. I could almost count the actual dogs on one hand and have only ever seen 3 in the showring here. Most merles come from coloured puppy farmers who breed only for colour, not quality.

Regardless of the fact that a lot of merles do lack pigment the breed standard still says "The nose colour in all dogs will be a solid colour with no pink or light pigment, and shall complement the background colour of the dog."

Agree.

Merle has fast become a fad "colour" in BC's and with any of the fads people are being ripped off accordingly.

There are some very questionable breeders breeding the merle to any thing without taking into consideration the breed standard at minimum. In some cases I have seen near all pink noses with very little pigmentation at all even up to an adult. I have also seen an increasing amount of excess white being produced and in some cases, all white heads and excess body white. In a couple of cases, deaf puppies being produced. I would personally stay clear of any breeder breeding merle to red/white. I know of one case of a merle to merle litter being bred from genetic merle parents and producing deaf puppies.

Have also seen by the same colour breeders, an increase in lack of nose pigmentation in their solid colours. Especially in a black/white puppy, the nose should be solid by 6 weeks. Red/white puppies can take a little longer to pigment up, but again, should be solid by 8 weeks. Not acceptable:

Puppy:

post-430-0-76772800-1358990465_thumb.jpg

Juvenile Adult:

post-430-0-04610600-1358989689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mystiqview