Working Breed Puppies

becks

I'm just wondering if working line pups mentally mature faster then their show line relatives?

I know there will be variation across the types, but in general?

My 11 month old giant is still very puppyish in a lot of ways but can do some lovely work when she's concentrating.

Not necessarily :) We have working lined border collies and the lines that predominate in our breeding program (and in a pet male) seem to have incredibly slow maturing males. I am talking 5yrs old with some of them before they really start to grow a brain. The females are switched on from day dot though.

Our last litter we used an outcross sire from faster maturing lines and all 3 male pups matured quite quickly. They are still more mature than Whip who is 5 months older (which was a big difference as puppies, not so much now that they are all 2). At 2.5 Whip is still 6months old in the head at times :laugh:

Just curious, are there working line labs in Australia?

Yeh, my neighbour has 2 of them (and has had plenty before that). Beautiful dogs too, leaner in build and very agile. Incredibly quick too. Some of the ones I have seen in agility would be queried as kelpie crosses I suspect if you didn't know what you were looking at.

Interesting question Jo.....in my VERY limited experience Em and Barkley were chalk and cheese as puppies. Allowing for normal puppy madness and a trainer in training Em was fairly intense and focused from the start. Barkley was a real boy :laugh: I think it will take him longer to get his act together but well worth the effort! Not sure if it's lines or gender?

My 9 year old working line Border Collie is still extremely immature :o. Her brother is bit more mature and sensible but still has his moments. But then you have my 16 month old very working type border collie x who for her age is quite mature, is easily taught things and is very laid back most of the time.

well I have a 12 year old sport X working bred Border Collie who has always been very mature, and I have a 10 year old all working line Border Collie who is not even remotely mature lol, don't get me wrong, she can be serious and she can work(and she LIVES to work) but she very much has a puppy brain and gets over exited pretty easy lol, she is very goofy when she works too, she gets things done, but the whole time she does things she has a huge grin on her face and she's kinda bouncy about it lol

Cali I have a 14 year old giant schnauzer who is just the same, easy to get over excited about work, now she is old and retired she is generally settled but will still get excited if doing a retrieve! :laugh:

Mature physically or mentally?

mentally, thought I had mentioned that in OP?

Interesting question Jo.....in my VERY limited experience Em and Barkley were chalk and cheese as puppies. Allowing for normal puppy madness and a trainer in training Em was fairly intense and focused from the start. Barkley was a real boy :laugh: I think it will take him longer to get his act together but well worth the effort! Not sure if it's lines or gender?

I tend to think boys are generally slow and a bit dim anyway :laugh:

Not sure about mature, but my GSP which is from strong working stock was ready to work and compete far younger than any other dog I've had. He was/is feral in other ways but his ability to focus on his job when required from a very young age did amaze me.

That's what I mean! Did you find he learned things faster or was just more focused?

Boys are dim :p Magic is more mature than both maestro and hunter already LOL

Helps that Magic is an only child, so more can be done with her from a very early age

I'm just wondering if working line pups mentally mature faster then their show line relatives?

I know there will be variation across the types, but in general?

My 11 month old giant is still very puppyish in a lot of ways but can do some lovely work when she's concentrating.

I haven't found any big difference there,mostly seems to do with individual lines.The big difference I note is in capabilities at a younger age.A good working dog should to grow into their role easily and continue to improve while they have a suitable environment.