Support Harness

kayla1

I'm looking for recommendations for a support harness for older dogs that are becoming weaker and unsteady on their feet, to help them when walking up steps and on certain surfaces etc. I've seen a few online but am looking for something that will be comfortable (maybe padded?) for them to wear when walking, and with a handle on the back that I can grab easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I got my girl a ' Help Em Up ' harness that has handles over her back and rump ( comes in two pieces that clip together )after she had her knee done - Made by a company called Blue Dog - The hydrotherapy lady arranged it for me but I think you can get them on line. I use the top half of the harness now to walk her in and help her in and out of the car.

you can make one for yourself by getting a large collar and threading it through a sheepskin girth (used for a horse's saddle).

Put round the dogs waist and attach a lead. For the head end you can use a harness and, if necessary, use sheepskin on that as well.

I used this system for a bitch that was almost totally paralysed having tried an assortment of contraptions specially made for dogs that are handicapped. I found that I could control both her head and front legs with one lead and her back end with the other lead and, as she progressed, give her as little or as much help as she needed until she could manage on her own (should say she was 18 months old at the time and is now nearly 12 and is still unsteady on her feet, so I can say from experience that the system works!)

Contact Jo at Aquapaws on 5977 8841 - she has alot of mobiblity products available and/or will find what you want for you.

One thing you don't want is it rubbing, ill fitting or uncomfortable especially if it ends up being on them for a while - we had a harness on our old girl for her last couple of weeks - I made it up to fit her myself as my biggest concern was her comfort - it helped her.