Mandatory Desexing Of Pets On Agenda In Sa

Kajirin

It looks like they are working from a list of factors that are correlated. There are a set of owner variables that are common across a lot of dog attacks, I know because I was part of a dog and cat management board funded project looking at just this. Dogs not being desexed are one of these, but I fear they are confusing correlation with causation. I can't comment too much because I was collecting the data, I'm just hoping that it is used effectively.

Jut to avoid any confusion, when I said "working dogs" I did not necessarily mean any unreg dog on a station that might look like a Kelpie and herds sheep for a living, I meant working lines of pure bred, registered dogs, especially in breeds where there is a large divide between working lines and show/pet lines.

As far as I am concerned mandatory de-sexing of most unpapered dogs in pet homes would probably be a good thing, since they have nothing to give to any breed (being unreg and unable to produce reg offspring) and a lot of people really do think their bitch should have at least one litter before spaying, their dog is so speshul and pretty/friendly/whatever it needs to have a bazillion offspring (which will then be FTGH on the local buy, swap and sell page about 6 months later) and so on.

A good start would be for all councils to require dogs to be de-sexed before rehoming from the pound if the owner does not claim the animal as this would cut down on eggheads getting random mutts from the pound for their little back yard puppy mill programs :p

Seriously - most councils have absolutely NO idea how many dogs are living in their areas. Case in point - the numbers of unchipped dogs that turn up in pounds. No chip, no record, no rego... and that's only a very small slice of the actual numbers "out there"...

Until the powers that be can be arsed to get off their backsides and police the CURRENT laws and regs that are being ignored by certain members of the public, no amount of new laws or directives are going to work either.

Stupid politicians need to be edumacated on the REALITY, rather than looking to "act" on something that could be thwarted right now without new laws... their only reasons are to be seen to be "doing something" that might just get them re-elected come polling time.

My thoughts on the issue at hand - maybe it's the AR types and the stupid politicians that may need serious testing before being allowed to breed... *grin*

T.

Sigh.:confused:

More nanny state bureaucracy.

Probably because, according to the newspaper article, there was an incease in attacks in 2011, the D&C Board has not met one onf their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and risks losing funding or, shock horror, being abolished altogether by a government looking for savings - at the very least a black mark on the Chairman's Performance Review. So someone has found out about the Russian siberian fox experiments and wants to extrapolate them to dogs.

I'm suprised the Board didn't recommend the uni project to produce genetic hybrids between dogs and sheep to produce a woosy dog-sheep

Passing new laws will need someone to police them too...

T.

No, it won't. When the new laws fail because no one polices them then new new laws will be passed. Then when those fail, there'll be new new new laws. And so on.

Yep 100% correct. Least it will give us something to talk about for many years to come - might be all we can do as we loose more rights and have more restrictions on where we can take our dogs and what we can and cant do with them. smile.gif