Can You Help Me Identify?

Ashli

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would probably keep it simple and say appears to be cattle dog x possibly larger breed and note the double dew claws on hind legs which is a rather defining feature. He has some pretty solid boning so if he is three months or so he looks like he could be a sizeable dog.

Could be Pyr in there somewhere but who knows. Not impossible from the overall look of him. They are not the only breed with double dews, but a more likely obvious source in this country. Will be interested to know what he is if you find the owner!

I would put 'possible Smithfield Blue Cattle Dog cross' and then a description.

Yes there are Catahoula Dogs in Aus. Look at RSPCA Noosa for 3 youngsters. There was some imported a few years ago in Central Qld for pig dogs. I have seen quite a few around. Some look crossed with danes and some have the wolfhound type look about them. But he doesn't look like he has that in him to me.

Using the name Smithfield in a description is likely going to confuse most people, given that isn't the correct or common name for the breed and that it might also be confused with the Smithfield dog- which looks not at all similar.

Personally, I'd just say cattle dog cross- his mouth looks a bit loose, his roaning is too light and his ears are wrong but.. to the untrained eye, cattle dog. He actually reminds me a lot of pictures someone had of their roan pig dogs- not bull arabs- but a smaller type of hunting dog with a somewhat similar background (GSP in there and a variety of other things).

I'd not say actual bull arab as his body looks too thick and the legs too short. Also no sighthound features. In most bull arabs, you can see the greyhound if you squint a bit :p

Hmmm IMO dats a piggin dog folks - probably a hound x ACD x something else leggy and blue. Good luck getting a home it will probably be a lovely house mutt if some raises it properly. Where was is found/surrendered?