Waiting On Zeke's Breed Dna Test...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, do you think a DNA test on my blonde above would tell me if she does have Dingo in her mix? She can turn her wrist just like a Dingo, and apparently no other dog breed can do that...

She was born in Moree (BYB), so I don't think it's too far fetched to think there may be some Dingo down the line somewhere...

But she looks predominately Lab, and that's all that counts, right?

T.

These tests are useless for several reasons;

Firstly, they rely on common markers found in their breed samples. It's not 'breed' dna, just common markers in that breed from that sample group. Considering dogs are the same species and all breeds share the same genes just different variants of those genes, how many crossovers do you think you will get.

Secondly, it's just done on probability calculated from their samples. They missed breeds and took markers from specific gene pools totally removed from the dogs we have available now.

The whole thing is a marketing marvel and a rather iffy exercise into statistics - lets LOOK all scientific to the public and charge them through the nose for it :D

If you want a dog of known heritage, buy a pedigree dog. Simple. Otherwise fork out for an even less educated guess then you could probably make yourself with a few experienced dog people to help you.

Edited by Nekhbet

I'm not sure about these tests. I did the gta labs one on Roo.......

The dog:

RubyLR-24_zps3e4569e8.jpg

The test:

Bull Terrier x Rottie x Maltese.

:laugh:

Bully definitely. Rottie maybe. Maltese..... umm....what the?!?!

In answer to the question as to why, I asked for it as a Christmas gift from my mum because a) there was nothing I really needed and b) I thought it would be fun and c) I thought it might give me some clues to her behavioural issues.

Has no bearing at all on how much I love her or how gorgeous I think she is.

I'm not sure about these tests. I did the gta labs one on Roo.......

The dog:

RubyLR-24_zps3e4569e8.jpg

The test:

Bull Terrier x Rottie x Maltese.

:laugh:

Bully definitely. Rottie maybe. Maltese..... umm....what the?!?!

In answer to the question as to why, I asked for it as a Christmas gift from my mum because a) there was nothing I really needed and b) I thought it would be fun and c) I thought it might give me some clues to her behavioural issues.

Has no bearing at all on how much I love her or how gorgeous I think she is.

You never know. Long hair is a recessive gene and neither bullies and rotties carry the gene. I am not sure of the genetics behind the white maltese coat and size can very vary a lot between crosses. I had a friend who had a maltese x kelpie (mother) x GSD (father) and she was just a little bigger than a maltese.

Edited by Janba

The whole thing is a marketing marvel and a rather iffy exercise into statistics - lets LOOK all scientific to the public and charge them through the nose for it :D

If you want a dog of known heritage, buy a pedigree dog. Simple.

Sensible.

There's no way you'd know how accurate any findings that are given you, anyway. According to a prof of genetics, results can only have a chance of being highly accurate if the dog has a p/b parent or grandparent.

From WebMD:

Nathan Sutter, PhD, assistant professor of medical genetics at Cornell University says generally, the more dog breeds the company has in its database, the more expensive the test.

Sutter says such dog DNA tests can typically identify the majority breeds in a canine with great accuracy. “But if a dog is mixed breed and comes from a great many breeds, each with just a small contribution to the total, then the breed test may be unable to identify most or all of the breeds contributing to the dog,” he says. Sutter says that if a dog has a purebred parent or grandparent, the results are highly accurate.

Yep, I've had a few done....has been 'interesting'

This is one of my dogs (the Black one)...

This is his DNA test... click here

Now I would have said Lab cross... but then I have an almost lookalike dog myself...

... and I KNOW that her mum was pure Rotti... *grin*

T.

Mine's just a mini i.e. 15/16 kilos.

I agree, I don't understand, if you want the assurance of knowing what the dog is 100% buy a pedigree purebred. If you buy a rescue, or a cross-breed, just love your dog for the unique and wonderful mutt that it is.

Some people...such as myself were curious. You're implying myself and others need 'assurance' - I do not, others probably don't either and of course they love their dog for whom they are. I find it rather odd you wouldn't understand curiousity.

I agree, I don't understand, if you want the assurance of knowing what the dog is 100% buy a pedigree purebred. If you buy a rescue, or a cross-breed, just love your dog for the unique and wonderful mutt that it is.

Some people...such as myself were curious. You're implying myself and others need 'assurance' - I do not, others probably don't either and of course they love their dog for whom they are. I find it rather odd you wouldn't understand curiousity.

Did the service satisfy your curiosity?

Many people are invested in the idea that their dog is of certain breeds, and so I think some people have the test done for assurance. Maybe not yourself, but very few people buy a dog that hasn't been advertised as a certain breed or breed cross. It unlikely that most are going to accept news that doesn't fit in with what they already believe. Unfortunately many people don't realise that the only dogs that can be identified by phenotype alone are normally purebred.

It's an issue for rescue. Most of the time we're just guessing, but if we list a dog as "mixed breed" pretty much the first question people ask is "what breed?", so even when we have no real idea we have to try and come up with a best guess. People always want to know. It also influences the popularity of a dog ... I could list a box of snakes as Poodle X or Cavvie X and get dozens of enquiries. LOL

I'd love accurate tests for breed not because it would usefully tell us more about behaviour, but out of sheer curiosity.

Many people are invested in the idea that their dog is of certain breeds, and so I think some people have the test done for assurance. Maybe not yourself, but very few people buy a dog that hasn't been advertised as a certain breed or breed cross. It unlikely that most are going to accept news that doesn't fit in with what they already believe. Unfortunately many people don't realise that the only dogs that can be identified by phenotype alone are normally purebred.

I've spent 5 years telling people, when they ask about my dog's breed, that he is a "big black dog". I certainly don't need assurance of breed, but I'm still curious. I'd get the test done to satisfy that curiosity if I could justify the cost. But as I can't, my dog shall forever remain my "big black dog" :D

I don't really agree with this - I know a few people who have done it, as well as myself, and without exception all had rescue dogs of completely unknown origin, and wanted to learn more about them. It is a natural thing to try to find out as much about your dogs background as possible when you have a shelter dog and a breed test is one of the ways you can try to do that.

unless the testing has come a long, long, long way in the last couple of years the only thing it will tell you with any certainty is that it's a dog.

People in the USA had the test done on bona fide pure breeds with known pedigrees & the results were not even close.

It's an issue for rescue. Most of the time we're just guessing, but if we list a dog as "mixed breed" pretty much the first question people ask is "what breed?", so even when we have no real idea we have to try and come up with a best guess. People always want to know. It also influences the popularity of a dog ... I could list a box of snakes as Poodle X or Cavvie X and get dozens of enquiries. LOL

Yes, people see what they'd like to see... & believe what they'd like to believe about dog breeds. So it's understandable that guessed descriptions like Poodle X Cavvie would bring in more interest that Smallish Mixed-Breed.

So short of applying DNA testing (where you can't be sure how accurate the information is... unless you already know some background info on a parent/grandparent), then you're left with a dog that 'looks like' a Poodle X Cavvie.

I know it sounds over-picky.... but just spelling out a bit the guessed breed label, with 'looks like'... seems a way round 'truth' in description. Like, 'has the looks of Poodle X Cavvie'. Most pet buying people wouldn't even notice such a subtle qualifier.

But a rescuer would be using words that'd stand up to criticism. And, no .... I'm not saying this is what rescuers ought to do. It's their call.

I'd say gsp lab staffy and kelpie! Definateky interested to see the resylts!

I love you jumped on GSP right away! Whenever I see GSP pics I see Zeke's face and eyes, I have always suspected there was some in him!

Just from the first photo I would have said some Dobe in there. It will be interesting to see what they results say.

Kelpie and dobe are two of the common guesses I get for his father's side, but I think that's mainly based on colouring and markings, I'm not sure he has either in him. His mother looked like him except black with the same blue markings - she came from a choc lab x cattle dog. Her whole litter looked like her. Zeke was the only choc/red out of the litter.