Lets Talk Foster Carers

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

Ive been a foster carer now for over 3 years .Short time compared to some of you out there.For the most part we are the silent party happy to do all we can and PROUD to help the rescue we volunteer for.

Now when I started I was abit out there wanting to make a good impression wanting to do everything right and as much as I could do to help.Of course I never asked nor expected anything in return afterall its about the animals and my love for doing my bit to help.

Just recently once again My rescue did a whole big media thing and said they were the sole reason the dogs found homes .I understand its hard to thank everyone but considering we are the only foster carers I didn"t think it was too much to think we would at least get a mention.(and its not the first time) NOW its not that I wanted to be a media whore .Im very proud of what I do and who I volunteer for Im alway bragging and plugging them so being left out and never so much as a thankyou has me feeling rather let down.To hold someone so high and to think they don"t feel some regard for my efforts makes me sad.

I think foster carers play a vital role and no matter the level of help they provide its all worthy of the very least a thankyou .

My role has many componets from advertising photos profiles daily care vet work adoptions and promotion/awareness of the role our rescue plays in the community -------------All of which Im happy to do and stand tall at what Ive achieved.

With so many ""days"" being recognised as such and such day I suggest we have a national FOSTER CARER day one day where each rescue does something to say thankyou to their foster carers be it a card a box of choccies a phone call or even write a message here ---------------------Im sure many of you already do that but I think if us foster carers all read our thankyous here together would be heartwarming . :flower:

*********** Much like on feb 14th when the paper prints everyones messages of love ****************** JUST A SUGGESTION

What sort of media event was it? Was it the right occasion to be thanking individuals? Did they definately not mention you or did the media just not show it?

But for sure, a foster carer day would be awesome.

Guest muttrus

newspaper and radio a week apart .----I didn"t think it was too hard to thank my family considering it is a two person rescue :) and yes I have the unedited version no mention what so ever .ANYWAY I did think maybe it was cut out untill I got the raw version .

The interview was how the dogs are first rescued then rehomed the rescue claimed it was all them yet I do all the advertising I maintain the website I handle all the adoptions and they are all chipped in my name so while it sounds like sour grapes I think if I do all the work including pay for it then pass on the left over (when there is) I think I could have at least gotten a thankyou :D

ANYWAY IVE HAD MY RANT :o STILL VOTING FOR FOSTER CARER DAY :grouphug:

Yep Muttrus I think that it is always a good time to thank the carers..

No carers means no rescue..

Even if they didnt name names at least a comment like "we couldnt rescue without our foster carers" helps to boost the ego..

And we all could do with that occassionally ..

I know of a few people leaving rescue due to the conduct of the administrators.. is a speciality breed too that could really use the help..

Anyway

:thanks: to all the carers and quiet achievers.. :heart:

I think it's a bit poor form to rely on someone to do such a large part of the administration of the group's adoptions, and then not even mention them in passing when being interviewed about what their rescue does.

I'd just like to state for the record that I reckon muttrus does an amazing job - and often goes above and beyond for all of the animals in her care. If her "partner/so-ordinator" can't see or acknowledge that, then I think they may need to have a bit of a rethink about how things would be if muttrus decided to leave their group.

T.

"My rescue did a whole big media thing and said they were the sole reason the dogs found homes".

If you are part of a two-people rescue then half of that kudos goes to you. I obviously haven't read said article but if its all about the "rescue" and not the other person themselves, I am not sure why you are so miffed.

There is already international volunteer day and volunteer week each year if you really wish to celebrate on a particular day or week for that matter.

Coming from a different angle:

If you have to wait for one day of the year to be told you are valued by the people you volunteer with or work for then to me it is like waiting all year until Valentines day to tell someone you love them...........if you [or they] don't know it by then, and that is the only reassurance of your [their] value all year long then I would be examining your relationship with that person more closely.

I am sure in very large groups this sort of human touch and appreciation may get left by the wayside sometimes but there is no excuse in a small group, especially of 2 to be feeling unappreciated. You might be surprised though, they may not even know you are feeling undervalued. I would talk to your partner.

I make a concerted regular effort to check in with carers regularly (even if all is well) and thank them for caring, temp caring, for doing something else the group, ask if they need anything, ask about their lives (I actually do genuinely care about them all) etc etc etc because its these things that matter and make you feel like part of something and not taken for granted. I'm sure all well mentored carers have some sort of process or internal fora in place.

I manage a dozen or so people, as well as my other general rescue and my own group roles and personal/work/family commmittments. There is no excuse for neglecting of carers but I don't need one dedicated day to tell them they matter. It should be often and not forced. In fact my carers don't even get on DOL, any of them. They are too busy with the animals.

I recently started a new rescue group and we had our first media article just recently - it had a focus on one major carer and their achievements and was taken from an interview with them and their thoughts on rescue and how our group works. Even though there is another 10+ people in the group who are just as valued regardless of the size of their role, none of us got a direct mention. But the group got exposure, and one of our carers got a moment of acknowledgement to make them feel proud of what they do. Doesn't undervalue anyone else, myself in the group included.

You should feel appreciated, valued and involved all year round and if not I would be talking to your partner about your role/value in the group or going elsewhere where your efforts are appreciated.

Edited by Just Andrea

newspaper and radio a week apart .----I didn"t think it was too hard to thank my family considering it is a two person rescue :) and yes I have the unedited version no mention what so ever .ANYWAY I did think maybe it was cut out untill I got the raw version .

The interview was how the dogs are first rescued then rehomed the rescue claimed it was all them yet I do all the advertising I maintain the website I handle all the adoptions and they are all chipped in my name so while it sounds like sour grapes I think if I do all the work including pay for it then pass on the left over (when there is) I think I could have at least gotten a thankyou :D

ANYWAY IVE HAD MY RANT :o STILL VOTING FOR FOSTER CARER DAY :grouphug:

I think if a person is a volunteer and they are talking about their group rather than themselves, then you should feel included as the group is much yours as theirs.

When doing PR work for rescue its really important to consider the audience and the message you want to communicate. People will only pay attention for a short time so it is appropriate to stick to a key idea so people remember what has been said. A few sentences to describe the organisation's work is fine in a short interview. Often it is the journalist who will lead the interview or decide what angle to do the story.

Thanking volunteers is so important but I agree with Andrea that it is an ongoing thing, and sometimes it's better that volunteers are thanked publically at an event for that purpose rather than in the media.

There are two of you both doing important volunteer work. But have you thought to thank her for successfully gaining media attention and doing this important promotional work for your organisation?

Edited by Greytmate

Guest muttrus

I set up all the interviews I thought it was part of my job as the carer to promote and help the rescuer so I contact people and direct them to her work.I always saw myself as being the lower person and I should be lucky to help.

Sounds a bit werid writing it :D over the years Ive set up afew interviews newspaper etc I know I volunteer for her but to say each time its a one person effort really hurts considering when I ask for help or advice all I get is well you have the animals do what you want!

All she does is have them before they get to me its then I chip them desex them advertise them care for them and rehome them.She doesn"t deal with the public she doesn"t quote----have time .

The more I sit and think the more I feel this maybe time to move on? but then I think about the dogs and I feel Id be letting them down. Then I think there are just as many others that could use my help I think maybe Ive just had enough!

maybe Im just tired and confused

You might be better working in an another organisation .

I'm a bit confused by the way you say the rescue is run, or why you would regard her as the 'rescuer' if she doesn't adopt out dogs. Why didn't you do the media interviews yourself if she doesn't like dealing with the public?

Consider being a volunteer for an organisation that has a formal structure, rather than just working for a person who is all on their own. I have to wonder if you are feeling like you are because this person is just using you to do the work so she can take the credit. In what way does she assist with preparing the dogs for adoption, fundraising or adopting out dogs? If she doesn't help with any of that you might as well work with other people instead.

Without my Foster Carers, we couldn't do the work we do. I am grateful for my carers, we all know when in rescue you give many sacrifices and those should not go un-noticed.

I think you need to find a new organisation.

I set up all the interviews I thought it was part of my job as the carer to promote and help the rescuer so I contact people and direct them to her work.I always saw myself as being the lower person and I should be lucky to help.

Sounds a bit werid writing it :D over the years Ive set up afew interviews newspaper etc I know I volunteer for her but to say each time its a one person effort really hurts considering when I ask for help or advice all I get is well you have the animals do what you want!

All she does is have them before they get to me its then I chip them desex them advertise them care for them and rehome them.She doesn"t deal with the public she doesn"t quote----have time .

The more I sit and think the more I feel this maybe time to move on? but then I think about the dogs and I feel Id be letting them down. Then I think there are just as many others that could use my help I think maybe Ive just had enough!

maybe Im just tired and confused

Sounds like you are the rescue but she is getting to take all of the credit for your work. Maybe rescue under your own name or join another group.

Guest muttrus

It wasn"t always like this only after things became bigger and moving faster .I first started with a sydney group got burnt bad I did apply with some other groups but with me not driving distance was an issue as I wasn"t close to the rescue vet and although my vet helps it does cost more .

I thought about being a rescuer but Im not set up nor would I know how to with the formal side of things.So I thought by helping someone else I would be helping .There was a middle man when I started but due to their health issues and family commitments they left and I stayed on.

I think on paper I look too full on when Ive filled in the foster carers app :) Of course its alot different being here hahahahhahah

I have no formal pet care training just 20 odd years experience .Dogs in my care learn the basics road sense walking on a lead sit social skills that sort of thing.Then I simply write what I see People call me or email me we talk go through them the dog etc then they come and meet the dog.

I think because the rescuer started it I was always afraid I may do something wrong and wreck her good work so Ive always been open honest and try to do more to help.

I can see the differences made since we joined and going back (thanks to the internet) Ive read articals and heard interviews and yes we"ve made a huge impact on the rescue as a whole .

I guess Ive also always looked at it as ""its for the dogs"" so I didn"t think too much about certain things and when I did I just complained to hubby :D

I have also helped a poundie or two and I really enjoyed that BUT I think you are all right too if Im really that unhappy then its up to me to do something about it :(

Anyone looking for a used foster carer ? not quite 40 a bit of a sook but a hard worker ? OR maybe I could come to you and help with photos videos profile writing ???????????????

"Anyone looking for a used foster carer ? not quite 40 a bit of a sook but a hard worker ? OR maybe I could come to you and help with photos videos profile writing ???????????????"

We are many in that catagory.. some of us on wrong side of 40 tho.. :laugh:

Any group would love your help.. Is there a breed that you are more familiar with ??

Pieces of paper are great but life/dog skills are sooooo much better..

Sift though the groups you see in your area.. the right one will come along..

Having said that I am stepping back from rescuing and am focussing on a new show/agility pup... Out of the frying pan and into the fire.. :shhh:

I think it is ok to feel miffed. You do a lot more than most foster carers and given there are only two of you in the rescue how hard is it to thank the person who does at least half the work. Some people just don't think - I've had this happen to me in the workplace when one person took all the pats on the back for a project even though they didn't even attend all the meetings. It is also so common in the working world that the only time you get any feedback is when you do something wrong.

I am lucky to feel appreciated by a whole heap of people in my rescue group and they embrace all my quirks even though some must be irritating (Ams calls me 'methodical' when she really means 'slow'!). The dogs we've fostered though don't give a hoot about us once they've gone on to their forever homes!

I think it is ok to feel miffed. You do a lot more than most foster carers and given there are only two of you in the rescue how hard is it to thank the person who does at least half the work. Some people just don't think - I've had this happen to me in the workplace when one person took all the pats on the back for a project even though they didn't even attend all the meetings. It is also so common in the working world that the only time you get any feedback is when you do something wrong.

I am lucky to feel appreciated by a whole heap of people in my rescue group and they embrace all my quirks even though some must be irritating (Ams calls me 'methodical' when she really means 'slow'!). The dogs we've fostered though don't give a hoot about us once they've gone on to their forever homes!

And nominated for Foster Carer of the year to say "you beauty" out loud. Still waiting for your bit to send of to the judges.

I would also like to say when we were doing Pacers Foster Carers were the back bone of everything we did and each time I said thank you I always felt I wasn't using the right words to be able to say how thank ful I was.It never felt like it was enough to try to make them feel the way I really wanted them to feel.

When I think of some of the things some of those people did to help dogs and the people who owned them there really isn't a way to convey how wonderful and how appreciative I felt.

Having the ability to ring them and all of the other foster carers who have been nominated over the years has been the most magical thing for me and I hope for them it has helped them to feel as appreciated as they really are .I always get more tears out of foster carers than any other category.

I would feel miffed too.

It is always nice to be thanked and given appreciation.

You dont do the volunteering for the recognition or the thankyous, but it is still lovely when someone takes the time to thankyou perosnally and by name.Especially in your particular situation, if given the opportunity, to thankyou publicly,when its is such a small organisation,they could have done it easily. it isnt as though there are too many people to list to bore the readers or listeners.

I know I appreciate it when my I am thanked, it isnt necessary,but still nice to receive.