Well You Shouldn"t Have Walked Through The Gate

Guest muttrus

Then lock the gate.

This is what I do. Im on the corner with two gates. Both are locked - one permanently and one can only be opened by myself and my dog walkers. The gate is effectively my front door. I SMS the water meter readings and get a gas reading annually.

To have dogs behind an unlocked gate - front or back - is asking for trouble. ALM it would take is a bored kid to open the gate for a laugh..,

Responsible dog ownership means securing your dogs.

Guest muttrus

Anyway its a story and my life has never been straight forward but I love kane and I just hope this woman doesn"t find out the hard way that not all dogs even her own are as safe as you may think simply because they are small .

Sorry when I read this back it may sound like kane is dangerous ...What I mean from my first post is that it was in fact her dogs who were out attacked another dog and refuses to accept it yet claims my dog is dangerouse because he barked at her ----

I must admit my writing words never seems to come out exactly the way I mean it :D It seems it always ends in talking about something else Please believe me I don"t mean for that to happen next topic please :D

I have a padlock on my front gate but I do allow Micha and Daisy out there sometimes when I'm home. I live by myself and having the dogs does make me feel safer as they are a deterrent. However I never let my Mal in the front yard and I also don't let her bark and carry on ever - if someone wants to break in to her property they can give it their best shot :laugh:

That said I would never have a front door behind gates with a dog in the front yard - because yes, people sometimes need to knock on the door. Infact when i'm sending police to someones place (because I work for them, not because i'm a crazy lady reporting my neighbours lol) I always ask if there's a dog in the yard and can officers get to the front door safely - I think they have enough to worry about without coming across a nasty dog.

You never know when the police will turn up. I was with the police and they were executing a warrant for my work. They jumped a gate to get to the front door, dog bit one of the officers, the dog was pepper sprayed and has now been reported as dangerous.

The people we were looking for actually lived next door.

You NEVER know when you might have an emergency & need an ambulance. You may be attending to someone inside your house who has had a heart attack or been electrocuted or anything & you wont be able to leave the patient after calling the ambulance to clear your front yard of a dog who MIGHT be perseaved as aggressive by an emergency worker. Might be far fetched example, but it does happen, so people with authority should have unobstructed access to your front door. So putting a lock on the front gate is not going to help either in an emergency. I can fully understand the concerns of the little girl's mother. Her concerns for her little girl have nothing to do with her own two dogs behaviour....that is a completely seperate issue. Did the lady with the lab file a complaint against her two dogs??

muttrus, we own small dogs and they're never in the front yard, not even if I'm gardening there. I've always had that policy, even when we owned shelties. We have sturdy side gates that aren't opened easily and the dogs are kept in our large backyard.

Host of reasons ... safety of the dogs, no barking at the passing parade outside, free access to front door or meters by those who have to go there.

And for me ... peace of mind!

Edited by mita

I can see where muttrus is coming from by having the dog in the front yard while she's there alone... the previous incident with the neighbour who bashed her in the face gives good reason.

However, maybe a large sign on the gate alerting folks to the fact that the dog may be loose in the front yard might be a trade off...

T.

You NEVER know when you might have an emergency & need an ambulance. You may be attending to someone inside your house who has had a heart attack or been electrocuted or anything & you wont be able to leave the patient after calling the ambulance to clear your front yard of a dog who MIGHT be perseaved as aggressive by an emergency worker. Might be far fetched example, but it does happen, so people with authority should have unobstructed access to your front door. So putting a lock on the front gate is not going to help either in an emergency. I can fully understand the concerns of the little girl's mother. Her concerns for her little girl have nothing to do with her own two dogs behaviour....that is a completely seperate issue. Did the lady with the lab file a complaint against her two dogs??

This

Dogs should not be in the front yard, and the front should not be padlocked or emergency personnel can't gain access. Not only that but it delays your ability to get out of the property in an emergency like a fire

Guest Maeby Fünke

I haven't read the whole thread, but maybe you could have an intercom system (I'm not sure what they're called) or at least a bell on the gate?