Breeders - Why & How Did You Start Out?

Schnooze

When you assume.....you make an ass out of u....not me.

Ironic, considering the huge assumptions you made of the OP.

And you came out looking like the ass.

I have to agree, it is cruzzi making all the assumptions here :( what a disappointing way to treat someone who is looking to acquire information and knowledge.

Yeah, I do feel a little dissapointed in the way I've been treated by cruzzi BUT its totally offset by all the fantastic INFORMATIVE responses! Just one amongst many I guess...

Cruzzi are you not interested in telling us about yourself?

Don't suppose you would be so kind to share your prefix? Is like to know more about these impeccable quality dogs you must have.

I for one do not like to make assumptions about anyone. You never know who someone associates with, where their from, how much money they have etc...

Edited by Schnooze

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im new to this forum, so Hi!

Im interested to find out from some breeders how they started out breeding and what made them decide to breed dogs?

Was it something your family was involved in?

Do you show or compete your dogs?

Do you breed as a business or is it just a hobby?

How did you select which studs and/or bitches to breed from?

Are your dogs just "breeders" or are they family members too?

Reason ive started this topic is because im in two minds at the moment.

Id love to breed dogs as a hobby. But im well aware of the amount of dogs that end up at shelters and I feel uncomfortable about contributing to that.

The dog I love and own is a Staffordshire. (Please no judgement needed - I know how many stafford breeders there are out there)

So this is not something im about to jump into lightly as im fully aware of the responsibilities of dog ownership and reputable breeder standards.

Id love to hear from peoples thoughts on this topic!

okay then don't breed.

Hallelujah sister.

Ethical responsible breeders would try to discourage a raw novice from breeding.

But not here.

Here they'd rather encourage them.

Breeder straight up?....exhibitor? .....why exhibitor, I want to breed, not learn anything first & then maybe breed?

Strange days indeed momma, most peculiar.

Sad actually.

Yeah, I do feel a little dissapointed in the way I've been treated by cruzzi BUT its totally offset by all the fantastic INFORMATIVE responses! Just one amongst many I guess...

Don't suppose you would be so kind to share your prefix? Is like to know more about these impeccable quality dogs you must have.

I for one do not like to make assumptions about anyone. You never know who someone associates with, where their from, how much money they have etc...

You have been treated just like any other anonymous blowin who "wants to be a breeder"

A group of us were approached at a show by someone with similar asperations as your self.

Didn't exhibit, didn't care to exhibit, just wanted to breed.

He had his dogs registrations papers.

One the most respected & successful breeders in the country examined the pedigree & advised him to have the dog desexed.

Honesty isn't always kind.

Why don't you show us your dogs breeding & I'll give you an honest opinion based on that.

Who knows, I might just have the right puppy for you.

But hey, seeing you haven't denied it I'm still backing it's a blue.

Which would mean I wont have.

But whether it is or not, blues are conspicuous by their absence eveywhere except the classifieds.

If it is, have it desexed, do some research, buy a well bred dog, join your state body, spend some time showing & learning, make some contacts within the breed, not just Dr Feelgoods on internet sites.

After you have done some hard yards & actually know something, select an ethical breeder & see if they will sell you a dog.

If you're lucky, stay in contact & pick their brain.

Within a couple of years you might just ready to breed & make a worthwhile contribution to the breed.

Email me in two or three years & let me know how you are going & what you have achieved.

Edited by cruzzi

Get over yourself!!! Nobody here is encouraging ANYBODY to breed! They're giving their experiences and nothing more. Nobody is saying, go on out there and breed all you want!!!

For Christ sake, stop looking for a fight and start comprehending what people are writing.

Get over yourself!!! Nobody here is encouraging ANYBODY to breed! They're giving their experiences and nothing more. Nobody is saying, go on out there and breed all you want!!!

For Christ sake, stop looking for a fight and start comprehending what people are writing.

Speaking of comprehension, maybe you should reread the o.p.

The bit about how he/she would like to breed as a hobby seems pretty straight forward.

But more especially how he/she would like to hear people thoughts on it is interesting.

Now, if there was a rider only positive opinions allowed I would be out of line.

As it is, i'm right on the money.

Live with it.

You have been treated just like any other anonymous blowin who "wants to be a breeder"

Speaking of "anonymous blowin" you joined only a few days ago so you fall into this category yourself. Unless of course you were previously banned and came back under another name, in which case you should probably be re-banned.

The bit about how he/she would like to breed as a hobby seems pretty straight forward.

But more especially how he/she would like to hear people thoughts on it is interesting.

Now, if there was a rider only positive opinions allowed I would be out of line.

Live with it.

Where did I say they DIDN'T say that. For pities sake you really are a sad sad person aren't you. Life getting you down sweetie??? Not to worry. Oh and it might be in your best interests to re-read what I wrote!

Don't bother feeding it guys, honestly it's just making him worse. Cruzzi can continue making himself look like a tool all he wants.

As for the OP

My aunt use to be a CKCS breeder and took me along to shows when I was a little girl. I had the most wonderful time and being an avid dog lover I always knew I wanted to get involved with the pedigree world in some way. It wasn't until I was much older that I was able to get involved.

My mother in law needed her Newfoundland shown so I got in the ring with her. Although I was a little put off by some very unpleasant people (hmmmm somewhat like Cozzi now I think about it)I eventually got a breed I was passionate about and started with a pet dog who I showed and moved into breeding 5 years later.

Breeding is neither a hobby or a business so much as a way of life IMO. It takes up a huge part of my time, money, house etc.

I select dogs for my breeding program with a huge amount of research. I make it my business to know everything about the lines I use, I speak to other breeders, I read everything I can get my hands on, I pay close attention to what dogs produce be it local, interstate or overseas.

And lastly my dogs are family. :D

EDT ~ I didn't answer one question. I exhibit my dogs and they are also being trained for herding, sledding and ET.

Edited by Bjelkier

But whether it is or not, blues are conspicuous by their absence eveywhere except the classifieds.

If it is, have it desexed, do some research, buy a well bred dog, join your state body, spend some time showing & learning, make some contacts within the breed, not just Dr Feelgoods on internet sites.

After you have done some hard yards & actually know something, select an ethical breeder & see if they will sell you a dog.

Within a couple of years you might just ready to breed & make a worthwhile contribution to the breed.

Email me in two or three years & let me know how you are going & what you have achieved.

I kinda agree with Cruzzi, the OP asked for experiences and then mentioned how they would like to breed Staffords with no info about whether they show/compete etc etc. There are thousands of 'pet bred' Staffords in Australia, there is no need for more (especially the "rare" blue).....well bred ones however are very hard to find! If someone came on with the same after thought with breeding Tollers and no further information I would be questioning it as well :)

While Cruzzi has gone about it the wrong way, I think it would be beneficial for the OP to explain what they have done in dogs, why they want to breed etc etc.

I did similar to what Cruzzi has suggested doing, I bought 2 boys, showed and competed. Eventually got my bitch, did the same, done all health tests (about $1500-$2000)and hopefully will have my first litter this year (10 years after getting my first Toller!) I've always wanted to breed but knew learning what I wanted to breed would take time and finding and waiting for the right bitch as well took 7 years.

Otherwise this topic has been a nice read, I do like reading about how others started in their chosen breeds :D

I kinda agree with Cruzzi, the OP asked for experiences and then mentioned how they would like to breed Staffords with no info about whether they show/compete etc etc. There are thousands of 'pet bred' Staffords in Australia, there is no need for more (especially the "rare" blue).....well bred ones however are very hard to find! If someone came on with the same after thought with breeding Tollers and no further information I would be questioning it as well :)

While Cruzzi has gone about it the wrong way, I think it would be beneficial for the OP to explain what they have done in dogs, why they want to breed etc etc.

I did similar to what Cruzzi has suggested doing, I bought 2 boys, showed and competed. Eventually got my bitch, did the same, done all health tests (about $1500-$2000)and hopefully will have my first litter this year (10 years after getting my first Toller!) I've always wanted to breed but knew learning what I wanted to breed would take time and finding and waiting for the right bitch as well took 7 years.

Otherwise this topic has been a nice read, I do like reading about how others started in their chosen breeds :D

No,The OP said they are very interested in the idea but are well aware its not something to jump into with out a lot of thought. They have asked how others have progressed to make that step with confidence.

Where they are at now is no indication of where they might go as long they are keen to learn.

No,The OP said they are very interested in the idea but are well aware its not something to jump into with out a lot of thought. They have asked how others have progressed to make that step with confidence.

Where they are at now is no indication of where they might go as long they are keen to learn.

"Id love to breed dogs as a hobby."

Like I said, maybe a bit more info about themselves like why they want to breed instead of just posting the above would have stopped other posters questioning them :)

I think it's great they have come here to learn :)

Speaking of "anonymous blowin" you joined only a few days ago so you fall into this category yourself. Unless of course you were previously banned and came back under another name, in which case you should probably be re-banned.

Oh, cruzzi is jerry lee is steamboat under yet another sock puppet account.

He's Dougie folks. No doubt about it.

He's Dougie folks. No doubt about it.

I think Dougie was a bit before my time. Came in at the tail end, I think. I can't remember the previous sock puppets but cruzzi, jerry lee and steamboat were all very quickly on the heels of one another.

Fact is there isnt a right or wrong reason for someone to want to breed dogs - its all about them knowing what risks are associated with those reasons and goals and ensuring they don't compromise on what is best for the dogs.

I want to breed a champ comes with the same amount of risks and issues to take into account as I want to breed for some extra money or I want the kids to experience the joy of see new life born.

You dont have to agree with one person's motivation as long as we all agree on a desired outcome. If you truly do believe that wanting to breed a champion gives someone instant credentials on breeding great dogs that's a far cry from reality.

No one starts out knowing all they need to know and even after playing around with it for over 35 years I learn something new every day and I certainly still don't agree with everyone else's idea on what it takes to do the right thing by the breed and the dogs .

If we all have the same goals and the same reasons and the same methods we end up with all the same dogs and no where to go if something nasty turns up.

The only thing that needs to be consistent and never taken for granted or scrimped upon is what is best for the dogs we own and breed regardless of what reason we can articulate.

"Id love to breed dogs as a hobby."

Like I said, maybe a bit more info about themselves like why they want to breed instead of just posting the above would have stopped other posters questioning them :)

I think it's great they have come here to learn :)

I'd love to do a lot of things as well, it doesn't mean I'm going to. They never said they were definitely doing it. To me, it reads as they are curious about breeding and good on them for coming here to find out more.

Aren't you?

Your OP does not read genuine.

I hope you have accrued enough information for your purposes.

:walkdog:

If you truly do believe that wanting to breed a champion gives someone instant credentials on breeding great dogs that's a far cry from reality.

If that's directed at me sorry but :laugh:

I never said anything about breeding champions.......I merely said it would be nice to know WHY the OP would want to breed.....for pets, sport, show whatever, I personally don't care but when they ask about others and don't give any info about themselves then someone will question them. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last that happens here.

I was just as curious as to why they would love to breed Staffords, what would be their goal? Surely there would be some reason WHY they would love to just breed?

Live with it.

I agree the OP smacks of bs ...

now whether you are right on the money ... I dunno cruzzi.

Not many 'beginner' posts are styled like the OPs.

(Interesting choice of language ...

and most owners reference their breed, not 'dogs'.)

But I dont think its about blues, my money's on something else.

:D

Edited by lilli