How Well Do You Know Your Dog's Pedigree?

SkySoaringMagpie

The other day I was cruising Facebook and saw a picture from the 1940's of a Saluki that is the spitting image of one I have at home. I went searching through my girl's pedigree, and sure enough, those lines are on both sides of my girl's pedigree. I think it's awesomely cool that the online world allows us to see all these pictures and do the research through various online databases. So, what have you found that interests you?

I've added the picture that got me searching to this post. From the Carol-Ann Lantz collection, a picture of Gwen Angel, a lady who was instrumental in keeping Salukis going during the war years in England, and one of her parti-colours.

post-16399-0-18651600-1360664280_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is absolutely fantastic :)

We Lowchen people have it pretty sweet, we have a couple of very dedicated people who maintain the Lowchen World website including a pedigree database which includes health test information and photos where people have put it up. I think it is marvelous and have on occasion trawled through behind the pedigrees of my dogs :)

I also have a wonderful breed mentor who points out various ancestors for me which has been fantastic.

I think whether you are looking at breeding or just interested in the heritage of your pet, having access to that information is amazing and being able to see what is behind your beloved family members :)

I even got photos of my special (slightly too purebred not pedigree) Afghan Hound's parents which was pretty cool.

I think that is absolutely fantastic :)

We Lowchen people have it pretty sweet, we have a couple of very dedicated people who maintain the Lowchen World website including a pedigree database which includes health test information and photos where people have put it up. I think it is marvelous and have on occasion trawled through behind the pedigrees of my dogs :)

I even got photos of my special (slightly too purebred not pedigree) Afghan Hound's parents which was pretty cool.

I should have suggested that people provide links to their breed databases. This is the Saluki link I like using, also maintained by some dedicated people: http://www.thesalukiarchives.com/

I think it's sad that some databases have staggering fees, which means that people are just not going to use them as well as they might if it were open.

One of my dogs breeders sent pictures if his more illustrious ancestors in his puppy pack. The when I went to look the first litter of pups he sired their breed had an old book of famous ISDS dogs, complete with pictues, many were in his pedigree.

I have traced his pedigree back to the foundation of the ISDS registry (1906) and it is fascinating. It is fascinating.

My dogs' pedigrees are part of a wonderful resource: The Whippet Archives. It contains the pedigrees of nearly 170,000 Whippets from all over the world and going back many years. It is free to list your dog and has some great features like test matings.

Although my boys are not closely related, I like finding their common ancestors. They share a few ancestors back about 4-6 generations.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My dogs' pedigrees are part of a wonderful resource: The Whippet Archives. It contains the pedigrees of nearly 170,000 Whippets from all over the world and going back many years. It is free to list your dog and has some great features like test matings.

Although my boys are not closely related, I like finding their common ancestors. They share a few ancestors back about 4-6 generations.

I just looked up one of your boys! Interesting stuff.

I just looked up one of your boys! Interesting stuff.

Oooh just spotted a new feature - colour distribution. Here it is for Australia

We have a couple of pedigree databases that are helpful, but a few years ago a wonderful book was published called 'from France with love' by joe gentzel which provides photos and pedigree data (including info such as COI among other things ) on a huge number of influential dogs in my breed (and yes a lot in my own dogs pedigrees).

I love pedigree research and it can take a bit of detective work at times. I have my own database (I use 'Breedmate') and put everything I research in there. Most of what I have goes back at least 10 generations for all my dogs now, and working on going further.

Edited by espinay2

Borzoi have a global database also, The Borzoi Files. It is a brilliant resource and I love the photos. No fee to use it. There is at least one other good, older, one too, the Borzoi Central database, but it doesn't seem to be updated now.

Strangest coincidence I have found on the Borzoi Files - last year I imported semen for my first litter, from a dog of American and German breeding. I knew several dogs deep in his pedigree of course, but when going 8 generations back I got a surprise, my first much-loved Borzoi's great aunt. She was an English bitch sold to the US in the 70s while her sister came out here and was bred just once. I got my first Borzoi in 1982, and thirty years later I ended up picking a related dog to use without even knowing it at the time. I like that.

Back before the online databases I manually researched the breeding of my first dogs back to the time of the first Borzoi that came out of Russia and back beyond that into the late 1800s, and wrote it all out on great swaths of paper. Much easier these days!

The Borzoi Files

Borzoi Central

edited to add links

Edited by Diva

I haven't looked into the Aussie Terrier lines too much but from books I've read about the breed, it would seem there are records somewhere. In one particular book it lists important breeders in developing the breed and standards since Australia was first formed.

I find it highly interesting especially since one of the main pioneers of the breed, Pat Conner, is still breeding. It definitely helps having such a reletively young breed as compared to say the likes of the Greyhound or even Saluki.

With my breed there is a worldwide data base, Ingrus, they do other breeds, it is a free site and we can add our dogs and update dogs already there example pictures, when you search a dog in your pedigree, if it is on the database it brings up the requested dog, you scroll down to the bottom and there is the extended pedigree with photographs of the dogs and you can print it off. :thumbsup:

I have been researching the dogs in my pedigrees for years and this site has been a tremendous tool.

My two share an ancestor - a Grandsire on my girls's side, and great grandsire on my little boys side. The Cardi community is small, and I'm fortunate that the breeder of this dog, who bred the sires of my dogs in NZ has been lovely, and sent me pictures of their ancestor, and other related dogs.

Given that I'm looking for performance lines, I've been very fortunate that quite a few of the breeders in my breed have been happy to share their ideas and opinions with me on dogs that had the necessary temperaments, even if they hadn't been trained for the performance arena.

We have Cardipedfor pedigrees.

I have direct contact with breeder/owner of my girl's Sire & Dam, and have been fortuneate enough to see pics of most of her ancestors on both sides with excellent info as to titles etc, would be great if there was an opportunity to know a few more details though like any health issues and age they lived to etc. Her Grand sire could be her twin the likeness is amazing, both in colour markings and conformation. :)