A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

As usual, Louis was unfazed. He thought it was all very interesting, but not more interesting than daddy's ball (that sounds wrong, I know...)

Smash, I took him out in my arms yesterday for the first time, and he was just not bothered. I think I just have a really chill pup :thumbsup: I just hope he remains this way!

ETA: the plumber's dog is named Louis too! Though I think he spells it Louie :)

Edited by Melina Bea

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went for a walk to get thai take out with Tank. He met an 11 week old Frenchie pup. The other pup was barking in his face and Tank barely batted an eyelid. I think I have a good boy! (Touch wood)

Willow watches TV, when she's not trying to find mischief or whining at me to lift her on the couch...or whining at me to pick her up. Or whining at me cos the cats are scary, or burying herself in my wool and crochet stash.

Dory has been a growly old bag this morning. *sigh*

I think I might be taking a few car rides just to keep Willow entertained. :laugh:

Willow watches TV, when she's not trying to find mischief or whining at me to lift her on the couch...or whining at me to pick her up. Or whining at me cos the cats are scary, or burying herself in my wool and crochet stash.

Dory has been a growly old bag this morning. *sigh*

I think I might be taking a few car rides just to keep Willow entertained. :laugh:

haha that's cute, she's gonna be an active one :)

I just went for a walk to get thai take out with Tank. He met an 11 week old Frenchie pup. The other pup was barking in his face and Tank barely batted an eyelid. I think I have a good boy! (Touch wood)

That's brilliant! :thumbsup: I'm a bit scared of what Louis will be like when he meets something else nearer his size.... Sometimes when he plays with his toy dog a completely different side of him comes out, it's scary!

How often do you guys worm your puppies? Breeder was doing it every 2 weeks, which would mean he's due this weekend, and I haven't arranged anything! :( Because of the other problems we had, we've wondered whether it was the Drontal causing them, so we're after a product with a different chemical, which has to be asked for at the vets. I can't believe I haven't sorted it out.

Banjo had his first "visitor" this morning ... there is a fellow who walks his very excitable about 2-3 year old Cavalier "Hector" who used to come and visit Winston and still stops and wants to come and play and can't understand why Winston doesn't come out :( Anyway, hubby is home so he popped in and Banjo just adored having a visitor and now that Hector has left, Banjo is just sitting by the door :laugh: Funny, because at puppy preschool he just wants to hid behind me and not play with the other pups :confused: Can't wait until we can take him out properly and meet and greet.

Well I guess I should be posting in this thread now. :)

Miss Willow had her first morning at work this morning. She walked in like she owned it, and then howled the place down when I had to put her in a cage. She really doesn't like being penned or crated...but that's tough for her!

Dory is equal parts playful and good to grumpy and growly. Willow pretty much ignores her! (Dory has an IMPRESSIVE set of teeth when she bares them).

Willow is still very unsure of the cats and one of the cats is still very unsure of her. I hope they work it out soon, because Willow is not going to get any smaller. :laugh: At least the older cat will sit in the same room as Willow, up high, but he is in the same room. Bungee the younger cat is like a black shadow ghost that haunts the furtherest areas of the house, as far from Willow as she can get. :(

Went to the closest PetBarn yesterday to get her some more toys and then collected her at the checkout when I went to pay for her stuff. :laugh: I think every staff member had a snuggle with her. It was a nice opportunity to talk to one of th staff about looking for a good breeder.

I just love her so much. And I love Dory too! I'm so happy with the way Dory is okay with a new puppy in the house, even if sometimes she is a grumpy old bag.:(

Melina, our vets gave us popantel as a wormer - I think it's different to Drontal. You should be able to just go to any vet and ask for some - no need for a consult, so just find one close to you.

I think worming is meant to be every 2 weeks til 12 weeks, then, monthly til 6 months, then 3 monthly forever more....

All this on top of heartworm, flea and tick treatments... it never ends! I found it so confusing to start with, but I think (hope) I'm on top of it now.

Thanks Aliwake, it seems to be quite different than cats so I better read up on it. I can't believe I have neglected this subject, I really just thought I'd ask a vet or breeder, but forgot. BAD mummy :( I have emailed breeder but will also pop into the vet's tomorrow.

Dory, welcome to the thread! Willow is gorgeous. I'm bringing Louis to petbarn with us tomorrow, held in arms but still with some trepidation about him catching something :eek:

Thanks Aliwake, it seems to be quite different than cats so I better read up on it. I can't believe I have neglected this subject, I really just thought I'd ask a vet or breeder, but forgot. BAD mummy :( I have emailed breeder but will also pop into the vet's tomorrow.

Dory, welcome to the thread! Willow is gorgeous. I'm bringing Louis to petbarn with us tomorrow, held in arms but still with some trepidation about him catching something :eek:

Melina, I did weigh up taking her in. I figured it was probably no more dangerous than me walking in there without her and then coming home.

Willow weighs 6.5 kilo's...it made shopping a challenge...:laugh:

Banjo was due to be wormed yesterday .... he got his tablet this morning ..... just a half because he's just under 2kg now, but I too find it confusing. I took him to the vet a couple of days after he arrived because he had a couple of fleas (icky!) and they gave me Advantage for puppies - the one that you put on the back of their neck - and said that as well as fleas it took care of all worms too. Then when he had his 12 week vaccinations the vet also gave me the worming tablet ... something starting with M, can't remember the name of it. So, now I am confused, do I give one or the other, or both?? Rang the vet and the girl said it would be fine to use both coz you want to keep any fleas under control as well ..... but I don't want to double dose him with worm treatment :confused: Good thing -puppy preschool tomorrow morning is at the vet clinic so am taking all my stuff with me and asking again. Also wanna check coz Banjo does the butt scooting thing too .... isn't that a sign of worms?? Hope not!!

As Aliwake said - every 2 weeks until 12 weeks, then once a month till 6 months then 3 monthly.

Welcome Dory - I have been following you in the other thread .... Willow is adorable! Look forward to following her progress :)

Hi Yvonne, from what I understand, the spot-on treatments don't cover tapeworm, which is why you still have to treat with an all-wormer as well. We are using the Advocate spot-on monthly for heartworm, fleas and other worms, but the pup gets an allwormer as well, at the same time, then in two weeks, and again the next time you use the spot on and so on... until 12 weeks. then you could probably do the wormer and your spot-on at the same time monthly, until 6 months.

I agree it's so so so confusing! I don't believe it's a problem to use both treatments at once, but if you're concerned you should ask you vet - or at least phone to speak to a vet nurse or something - they should be happy to clear it up!

Make sure you let me know if I have it wrong :)

You are probably right Aliwake ... it's Friday afternoon and my brain is in slow down mode for the end of the working week .... it probably is Advocate. I seem to recall something about the Advocate not covering tapeworm now too!

Thanks for the link to the table ... will go take a look.

What about ticks? I don't think ticks are a real concern in my area, but still, if I take Banjo to dog parks there's often some bushland etc around so possibly still a risk.