A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Dory, Louis is exclusively indoor potty trained, so I can't blame the weather. However, he's done great since last night, no accidents!

I was a bit naughty last night and instead of putting him in his crate and getting up to let him do his business, I just put him in his pen, with the crate door open. He spent the whole night sleeping in the crate except for 3am when he came out to play, but was back in his crate within ONE minute. No crying, well just a whimper or two.

He then woke up at 6:30 (an hour later than usual) and piddled on the newspaper. At this point he had no interest in going back to sleep, he discovered the squeaky toy and made himself heard!

In the end though, it worked out well. Less crying, no accidents, and i actually slept which helps with my condition. Tonight I'll do the same but remove the toys (should have know better, really!)

Yvonne, Louis is the same with his sit. He actually now comes over and sits, thinking he'll get food :laugh: It's a huge improvement as before he would NEVER sit. Baby steps ;-) or should I say puppy steps? Puppy school starts on the 4th and I think it'll be a bit embarrassing to see how far ahead all the other puppies are :laugh:

Smash, I don't know about weight, I'm actually worried that Louis is too thin. I don't think he's put on weight over the last 10 days at all! I have a vet appt on the 12th so we'll see.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I should wander on in here.

Tyrion is going really well, he's 14 or 15 weeks old now (terrible that I can't remember :laugh: ) Had his first show a little while ago and went great although we need to work on gaiting a little more, he did a wonderful marlin routine.

post-24000-0-10018400-1369732244_thumb.jpg

post-24000-0-94267800-1369732323_thumb.jpg

What if he needs to pee during the lecture!?

He did a big pee right before we left home. He sleeps for hours so not worried about holding for a little bit longer! Only 30 more mins !

You certainly are brave!! Banjo used to sleep for hours at a time too but now he is getting a bit older - ie; all of 12 weeks LOL - he isn't sleeping as long during the day - but he sleeps right through the night which for us is from about 9pm until 4am.

Did he make,it?

Tyrion is going really well, he's 14 or 15 weeks old now (terrible that I can't remember :laugh: ) Had his first show a little while ago and went great although we need to work on gaiting a little more, he did a wonderful marlin routine.

Hello Bjelkier - Tyrion looks adorable - is he a Samoyed as well? It's such a cute age - my Banjomis 12 weeks so but much between them (except in size I would imagine!!)

Melina - I am interested to know what you are feeding Louis since we both have tiny puppies and how,is he going eating? Our breeder had her puppies on ProPlan dry puppy kibble soaked in hot water along with ProPlan puppy tinned food. I have continued that but added some,poached chicken and Greek yoghurt and in the mornings he also gets a sprinkle of Angel Eyes to keep his eyes nice and clean. He gets breakfast about 4.30 - 5am and dinner about 6pm and if I can come home from work I will give him some lunch as well - other wise hubby will give him a snack when he gets home around 3pm. He eats most of it but there's always something left in his dish that I am inclined to toss - Maltese are grazers so I leave his food for him to come back to if he wants it. I just worry that he is getting enough.

Tyrion is as beautiful as ever!

Smash, is Tank hidden or are you actually allowed to bring him with you???

Yvonne: Louis was on Royal Canin puppy starter at the breeder's, which I'm now mixing with Advance Puppy Rehydrateable, as recommended by breeder. I should be mixing it with other stuff but I haven't started (I will tomorrow). He was having poo problems so was back at the breeders' for a week, eating mostly chicken and rice, and sometimes scrambled egg.

Now that he's back on dry kibble (I don't moisten it), his eating is like this: 6am: 2tsp - 12pm and 4pm: 1.5tsp - 8pm: 2tsp. He also gets a few biscuits in his bowl overnight just in case. He used to be a complete pig and eat EVERYTHING in sight, but now his sister isn't around he sometimes leaves some, so I'm not so worried about him getting enough. He has a healthy appetite, so it's all good :-)

I'm not so sure how much 'normal food' to add, I think I'll play it by ear since I'm now confident that he won't pig out like he used to :-) If you get really worried though, you could always call Banjo's breeder and get breed-specific advice.

Edited by Melina Bea

Hello Bjelkier - Tyrion looks adorable - is he a Samoyed as well? It's such a cute age - my Banjomis 12 weeks so but much between them (except in size I would imagine!!)

Hi Yvonne

No Tyrion is a Havanese. Size wise Tyr would be around the same size as your Banjo, Havanese are a similar breed to Maltese :)

He made it...!

Not sure if allowed, but my lecturer/tutor didn't seem to mind.

he's currently going BALLISTIC over an ice cube I out on the floor. It is soooo funny watching him pounce on it and whack it away with his paws.

Edited by smashtank

Well Tyrion is just adorable! I thought I was in a minority having a little dog because so many here seem to have much larger dogs

Melina - doesn't it seem that those amounts of food are so tiny, but Louis is also tiny - when we first brought Banjo home his food was being measured by teaspoons as well - I suppose because he leaves food in his bowl I worry that he is eating enough, but I guess when he is full he stops and just grazes - but having said that he has shown absolutely no interest in his breakfast this morning which is unusual for him. He seems happy enough and is playing like the crazy puppyy that he is but I just worry!

Actually I confused myself, he gets about 2tsp less per day that I wrote! He didn't eat his dinner, grazed overnight, and didn't eat breakfast.

If Banjo's eating and acting like a normal puppy I wouldn't worry. If he's leaving food it also means you're giving him enough, so all good :thumbsup: I used to worry a lot too, but because Louis had to go back to the breeder's and we visited so much, became friends with breeder etc, most of my worries were allayed. The food question is the only one I asked over and over, since I REALLY didn't want to over feed him (very easily done with Yorkies) :laugh:

Its not cruel or bad to feed your pup when he is hungry, if he doesn't eat the food given to him/her in 10min take it away till next meal time, its actually better to feed in a regulated pattern where they eat the whole meal in one sitting and not let them graze, regulating food will give the added benefit of regulated pooping :D

so after he has eaten go for a nice walk or play outside and I guarantee he will do a poop, that also helps with toilet training as the pup will realize that outside is where I poop as I get praised for it there and not inside.

Oops... :laugh:

we have people coming to have a look at the drains.. Th laundry room has been flooded twice this week! :eek: It's the first time someone's coming into the house since Louis arrived, so I'm looking forward to his reaction. So far, he's a very chill guy, although becomes alert in new situations.