A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

He's 9 weeks yesterday.

I just endured 11 minutes of Frenchie squealing. Holy God that sound is something else. He's settled down to sleep.

Pen training makes crate training seem like a walk in the park.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its normal for them to cry a bit. Just ignore him until he settles. Maybe consider having a radio or something on so he has noise and doesn't feel lonely? Make sure his crate has toys in it for him to entertain himself.

The toy thing is pretty important I think. When Tank gets a bit frustrated in his crate, he plays with a cardboard toilet roll and there is also one of his favorite soft toys in there. Plus he has the SnugglePuppie which he just lounges all over.

He's currently chilling out in his crate watching me do a university assignment. :thumbsup:

haha I feel your pain. I've been trying to do uni assignments and study for final exams but my little one wants to play all the time. I give her a raw meaty bone in her crate and that entertains her for an hour or two. :thumbsup:

My friend has a fully vaccinated 2yo Frenchie. Do you guys think it would be okay for Tank to meet him this weekend? Tank will be 10 weeks on Sunday.

Yup, I think it's okay, but I would keep them in the house / backyard just in case :)

Sujo, I'm missing him like crazy, way more than I thought I would. :cry:

He was taken to the vet today, and he reckons it was all started by him 'pigging out'. He ate too much, did a big poo which caused a tear, and it was a repeating cycle from there. He's still on penicillin and will stay with the breeder for a few more days.

*cries in a corner*

Going to visit him in an hour.

OMG Tank just launched off the couch and jarred one of his legs up. He was limping around for a bit. He didn't whimper or cry and he didn't yelp. He seems to be over it now but OMG I panicked! Called the breeder and she said he sounds like he's fine just watch him and check again in morning. Called a vet and they said same thing. Was so worried he'd hurt his leg/spine. Crazy dog.

OMG Tank just launched off the couch and jarred one of his legs up. He was limping around for a bit. He didn't whimper or cry and he didn't yelp. He seems to be over it now but OMG I panicked! Called the breeder and she said he sounds like he's fine just watch him and check again in morning. Called a vet and they said same thing. Was so worried he'd hurt his leg/spine. Crazy dog.

Ouch!

Can he get up on the couch by himself?

Nope he can't get up on his own yet. He was sitting with my partner all relaxed one minute and then out of nowhere he jumped. He's totally okay now. He's crazy.

Still peeing everywhere....

Good general rule is that pups shouldn't get up anywhere they can't climb themselves (lounges, beds, chairs, etc) for the exact reason you saw - jumping off and hurting themselves.

Would I be worried he still only eats about 1/2 the food I put down for him? I'm not really following the instructions on the bag because I'm adding mince to the food like the breeder did. But the bag says 1 5/8-1 7/8 for a 2-3 month old 10kg adult dog. He's prob having 1/3 cup three times a day + mince breaks and dinner. He doesn't eat all his breaky / dinner but he does lunch because its in Kongs or in plastic bottles for him to work at getting.

He also doesn't drink heaps of water even though its always there in two spots (his accessible room/pen and the lounge. His nose isn't as wet as I imagine it should be.

Flynn gave me a lovely wake up call at 3am this morning. I woke to the sound of explosive diarrhoea. He was in his crate and it ended up all over his bed, on the crate bars and a little on the wall. There I was with gloves on, disinfecting everything whilst gagging the whole time :vomit:

My OH slept through the whole thing! How I will never know as Flynn sleeps in our room :confused:

Puppies....gotta love them :)

Would I be worried he still only eats about 1/2 the food I put down for him? I'm not really following the instructions on the bag because I'm adding mince to the food like the breeder did. But the bag says 1 5/8-1 7/8 for a 2-3 month old 10kg adult dog. He's prob having 1/3 cup three times a day + mince breaks and dinner. He doesn't eat all his breaky / dinner but he does lunch because its in Kongs or in plastic bottles for him to work at getting.

He also doesn't drink heaps of water even though its always there in two spots (his accessible room/pen and the lounge. His nose isn't as wet as I imagine it should be.

The guide on the bag is just that - a guide. This is Royal Canin right? (their bags are the most confusing of all brands, with their 1/8th increments).

So 1 5/8's is just over 1 and a half cups, you're feeding 1 cup + mince. As long as he's not losing weight, I wouldn't worry about him not eating it all.

Maybe utilize the Kongs and plastic bottles more if that encourages him to eat more, if you think he needs to eat more.

I'm more than a little annoyed. So Tank came into the office with me today. He's down with reception and the ladies looking after him are really good and have young dogs of their own that come in. I told them that Tank didn't have all his vacs yet so just keep an eye on him if other dogs come in. What happens? I go down to say hello and she's like "He was so good when I took him for a walk to the cafe. He even picked up sticks and wanted to play fetch."

:eek: :eek:

:mad :mad

Not happy. Now I'm going to be stressed all weekend watching him like a hawk. It's all concreted where he would have walked and it is only maybe 100 meters there and back. God I hope he hasn't picked any viruses or sicknesses up...

Should I be super worried? :(

Edited by smashtank