A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

LOL i can see what you mean ! still very cute :)

I havent done a lot of training with Miah of late, just some very basic things around the house. Once she gets desexed and has healed, i will take her somewhere to do some more proper training. I think shes going need a lot of mental stimulation, as shes a bit too smart and gets bored very easily. She goes on short walks now but it just hypes her up more ! lol

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I know Sujo !! biggrin.gif

That pic is just way to cuteeeeeeeeeee , so how is the little one errr big one compared to Miah going??

Everything has been going great with Miah, altho shes started this new thing im not too impressed with. Im trying to nip it in the bud, I really hope its just a phase shes going through !!! She is getting desexed 31st of this month .

ok, Spill :laugh: What is she up to?

Shes going through a bit of an obsessive stage with chasing shadows/lights etc. I did a search in here and it says it can be from a couple different things. And there was some ideas of what to do in threads that people had posted ages ago.. I also did some googling about it, and it says not to make a big fuss at the time, which i have been doing. People suggested giving them more mental stimulation, which im working on. Hopefully it will pass on its own... sometimes puppys go through different phases too (like children do). She has a very active mind so its not surprising shes going through this atm..embarrass.gif however shes not doing lots of other naughty things that puppies do that i read about often in here, but it is something i am working on correcting asap :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Shes going through a bit of an obsessive stage with chasing shadows/lights etc. I did a search in here and it says it can be from a couple different things. And there was some ideas of what to do in threads that people had posted ages ago.. I also did some googling about it, and it says not to make a big fuss at the time, which i have been doing. People suggested giving them more mental stimulation, which im working on. Hopefully it will pass on its own... sometimes puppys go through different phases too (like children do). She has a very active mind so its not surprising shes going through this atm..embarrass.gif however shes not doing lots of other naughty things that puppies do that i read about often in here, but it is something i am working on correcting asap :)

Ah yes. I have read about obsessive chasing. Sorry I cant offer you any advice as I have never personally experienced it. Do you think that ignoring it has made a difference?

I was under the obviously wrong impression that Cav's are quite sedate, laid back dogs. Not the puppies I guess :D . We are lucky with Flynn in that he has a great 'off switch'. He will quite happily lay at my feet whilst he is indoors as long as he has something to chew. Boy can that boy chew! :laugh:

I think its made a little difference me not going on about it at her when shes doing it (as they say when you make a fuss they see it as you are rewarding their behaviour).. I do try to distract her with something else eg her toys or a little bit of training. Walking her hypes her up more with it.

Cavs are generally very laid back, our older 2 are, they sleep mostly laugh.gif but shes still a puppy, and shes always been a very smart alert girl right from when we met her. They say it usually occurs in more high drive breeds of dogs. The only time ive seen our Joey like this is when there have been mice around, not at any other time.

Im doing my best to get onto it, but dont want to get too paranoid either about it, not just atm anyway..

LOL about Flynn chewing ! I give Miah things to chew on too (allowable things eg raw hide sticks), which helps also :)

Jules - I think you're on the right track by distracting her.

Here's Tango at one week shy of five months old. He is super leggy ATM!

I am loving training my wonderful red boy, he's super smart and his focus on me is just superb. He's perfectly happy to ignore the other bouncy puppies in favour for working with me, which is great! We need to build his confidence around other dogs, but other than that he's is developing really nicely.

8735977555_b38c83197b.jpg

Tango at 4 months 23 days by misteri82, on Flickr

8735978027_f20f8455cb.jpg

Moose isn't quite onboard the puppy train yet but Zoe seems okay. I'm surprised because she has become quite curmudgeonly in her old age. :laugh:

Jules - did it take long for Joey and Renae to be accepting of Miah?

7c9f5a7dfc1a5af8671580043fff1ad6_zpsaea6adbc.jpg

Co cute Moosepup!

In my case it took my older dog a couple of weeks to be accepting of Flynn. They now play together all the time. It helps that Flynn seems to understand when she has had enough.

How has your puppy settled in?

Not too bad thanks sujo. Moose has had a go at him a few times but of course can't expect them to be friends overnight. Struggling a little with the balance between letting them sort themselves out and when/how to step in but we'll get there. I'm glad Zoe is being good though, she just tells Nacho to bugger off if he gets in her face but she's pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Moose is more on edge.

I've got 3 weeks at home to help get him settled so hopefully they will all come around!!

Just got his Snuggle Puppy in the post and he's already lying with it so that's promising, maybe tonight in the crate will go a little smoother. :laugh:

Edited by moosepup

Aww so cute Moosepup! My dogs are too busy playing to snuggle each other. We are still using a puppy pen to separate them sometimes. My older dog is SO noisy when she plays, it's almost impossible to watch TV with them in the room playing.

Sujo - Tango's birthday is December 20th, so he's one day younger than Flynn.

I am loving training my wonderful red boy, he's super smart and his focus on me is just superb. He's perfectly happy to ignore the other bouncy puppies in favour for working with me, which is great! We need to build his confidence around other dogs, but other than that he's is developing really nicely.

Tango is lovely lovely! love.gif

Sounds like hes heading on the right path thumbsup1.gif it all takes time. The main thing is to keep it fun too at their ages :)

Moose isn't quite onboard the puppy train yet but Zoe seems okay. I'm surprised because she has become quite curmudgeonly in her old age. :laugh:

Jules - did it take long for Joey and Renae to be accepting of Miah?

7c9f5a7dfc1a5af8671580043fff1ad6_zpsaea6adbc.jpg

Awwww how adorable !!! love.gif

It is taking a while for Renae and Joey to fully accept Miah, and they still are. its only been about 3 months I think.

Miah has been a Mother twice (many years ago now, Joey was from her 1st litter) but I think shes fairly well over it at her age now lol (shes almost 11)

In the beginning both of them didn't really fuss over Miah as much as I thought they would have.

Miah is a very confident outgoing type of puppy whose just come barging into their lives lol

I did have to give the other 2 space from her sometimes in the beginning as she was pretty full on with them. Renae's also had health issues, so hasn't been herself of late, and doesn't need a young active puppy climbing all over her all the time.

With Joey, I compare it to like being a person in a workplace thats been there forever, and that person has been trying their best to get to the top and get the promotion, but then comes in a young in your face whipper snapper and takes completely over laugh.gif (have had that happen to me in the past too! icon_smile_mad.gif) and Joey being the sensitive new age cavalier he is, has had his nose out of joint frown.gif He has growled at her on some occassions, but she thinks hes a joke lol However when Renae tells Miah off, Miah takes notice !

They all getting along much better now, and often when Miah goes outside, Joey wants to follow her. Hes just taking a bit too much interest of her over the last couple weeks embarrass.gif Shes getting desexed end of this month.

I do feed them all separately as Renae has started getting possessive over food since she got ill.. she never was before. so its just bed to feed them all in their own space. I always feed them first.

Im hoping when the time comes Miah will be of comfort to Joey, as hes always been a huge part of his mum Renae's life..

Im happy with how they all getting along now :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Lol I'll be glad to see Moose follow Nacho one day, rather than the other way around. :)

Sounds like it might take some time and I may need to leave him penned during the day once I go back to work (in 3 weeks). I didn't really pen Moose but I found it a lot easier to introduce him to one dog than it is to introduce Nacho to 2 dogs. Zoe despised Moose for the first week and then I think she just went 'meh ok this is how it is now, time to deal with it'. :laugh: They're inseparable now :o which is why I wanted to get Nacho, I worry that when Zoe goes (hopefully not for a few years yet though!) he wouldn't cope on his own.

Edited by moosepup

She's super cute Jules, Cavs have such expressive little faces. :love:

Zoe is 14 now so she's not a spring chicken. Vet gave her a clean bill of health after her latest teeth scale and bloods so hoping for a few more years.

Nacho has been so good today, very little crying in his pen, peeing on his puppy pad, sleeping in his crate. :) I got rid of his bed as he's just using his crate (which is what I want anyway), not sure why I thought he needed a bed.

The plan is that he will sleep in my bed eventually (Moose does) but I don't want to push the Moose/Nacho friendship too soon. :o :laugh: Plus he needs to be able to hold it through the night!

20130515_130420-1_zpse7ead815.jpg

8735977555_b38c83197b.jpg

8735978027_f20f8455cb.jpg

Loved the 2nd pic of your boy, he looks gorgeous!

I just noticed this thread. I have an almost 5 month old Brittany boy, Murphy. I will have to take some more photos to put up. Love seeing all the updates on the puppies, seeing them all grow up.

Misteri what breed is Tango? he's very handsome

Sujo, is Flynn 5 months on the 19th of this month? If so that's the same as Murphy.

We are besotted with our boy, he constantly has us in fits of laughter with his crazy antics. I was walking him the other night (just around the small block)when he found a McDonalds drink cup,he picked it up & galloped on the end of the lead with it on his nose, he could hardly see where he was going LOL. Took awhile but I managed to get it off him. We have to shut off most of the house from him, our main living area is in the middle of the house with the rumpus & back door behind it. I've been trying to leave the rumpus open but I'm constantly having to remove the kids toys & books that he is stealing. We're not used to closing everything off, our old dog would only ever play with her toys & never steal the kids stuff - but she was much older.

Still trying to decide when to desex Murphy, I was advised to wait until his growth plates close but the vet is saying to do it asap. :confused: Not too sure which way to go. One issue I have is the bitch next door isn't spay & should be coming into season in the next month or so, I really don't want to have him locked up the entire time she is in season (I know he wont lock the bitch up) and they used to try & dig under the fence to each other when we first got Murphy.

Hope everyone is keeping warm in this really cold weather.