A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Tanks first night has gone well. I heard heard him fussing and I got him out of his crate a second time and he did a big wee. First time i got him up he did a little wee in the wrong spot...! ran away from me again! Haven't checked his crate but I think first night has been a good success. He's settled into his crate each time I've got him up with minimal fuss and I don't put him in - always encourage him in!

Touch wood this isn't a one off night!

Can I ask - do you all wipe your pups paws so they don't have wee footprints everywhere?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanks first night has gone well. I heard heard him fussing and I got him out of his crate a second time and he did a big wee. First time i got him up he did a little wee in the wrong spot...! ran away from me again! Haven't checked his crate but I think first night has been a good success. He's settled into his crate each time I've got him up with minimal fuss and I don't put him in - always encourage him in!

Touch wood this isn't a one off night!

Can I ask - do you all wipe your pups paws so they don't have wee footprints everywhere?

Sounds like your off to a great start :thumbsup: . Flynn was the same on day one and he never changed. He loves his crate and will happily put himself in there for quiet time. I love crate training, I wish I did it will my previous dogs actually.

In regards to throwing food away if they don't eat it straight away I must say that I don't. Flynn is on a raw diet and if he doesn't eat it all in one go after 10 minutes I pick it up, put it in a container and pop it back in the fridge to offer it to him for his next meal. I don't remember the last time he didn't eat it all in one go though :D.

When I first got Flynn he was a little fussy so I tried warming it up, trying lots of different foods, I even resorted to trying to encourage him to eat by hand feeding him for a couple of days! After a few days of this I decided I wasn't doing him or myself any favours so a little tough love was in order. I put his food down, gave him 10 minutes and then put it away. Honestly it took him 2 days and he licked the plate clean after every meal and at 5 months he will eat whatever is offered.

By the way how cute is Tank?! He has the most kissable little face! :love:

Thanks! He is super cute! And touch wood he stays good at night.

He whimpers a bit I close his pen gate and walk off but I'm guessing he'll get used to that.

He only ate probably half his breakfast (if that) this morning so I'll put it in the fridge until lunch.

I'm not sure if I'm soaking the dry food long enough...

It's hard to ignore them but they really do settle down after awhile. I wish I'd crate trained before too! Makes things so much easier.

Can I ask, what's the purpose behind soaking the dry? Why not just feed him dry? :)

Bah. He's only eaten about 1/4 or 1/3 of his food for dinner.

My friend who is a dog trainer in NZ said not to worry as he's not eating with litter mates and not with them all day being active etc. :confused:

How long should I soak kibble for? I'm mixing it with mince which is what his breeder does.

Smash, our breeder said the same. The idea is that his siblings aren't stealing his food, so there's no worry that he's not getting enough. He'll eat what he needs. If he weren't eating at all, or his demeanour changes, then it's worry time. That's what I keep reading/hearing, at least...

Oh, I believe you soak kibble for half an hour to an hour, depending on how big it is.

Haha I've only been soaking for like 5 mins. I'll try longer for breakfast! It's small mini Royal Canin kibble.

I popped his dinner in the fridge and put it back out about an hour later and he had a bit more. Still chucked a fair bit out.

He's taken himself off to his crate again for a sleep. I just tried to wake him up so he doesn't go hypo late tonight or early morning. He was not having any of that and promptly took himself back into his crate!

That's awesome that he loves his crate, it makes things heaps easier!

Nacho has RC too. At the moment I'm switching him over from Starter to Mini Junior, he loves it! I love watching him snuffle around in it when he's eating. :D I would think they'd go soft fairly quickly in water as they're only small. I personally wouldn't soften them now that he's not a baby puppy and has teeth but I'm no expert lol. They seem pretty palatable judging from my lot (Moose and Zoe are fans too).

When he pees on his pillow, what should I do? I pick him up even if he's finished and pop him where he should have gone. I don't really say much to him cos I know I missed the event so he won't make a connection.

In terms of the pillow, I have just been washing the cover on a 60 degree heat wash in the machine with Omo. (Like a normal wash). I wipe the pillow inner and then wipe it with vinegar. Do I need to properly wash the pillow too? It's funny cos sometimes he has used the pillow as his bed during the day so I don't know why he likes to pee on it! This is maybe the third time in two days!

Edited by smashtank

Not a peep out of Tank tonight. Got in his crate at 9:30 and has been snoozing away since. He woke up around 1:30am so I got him up but no pee. I think I'm more restless than he is! He is completely unbothered! :thumbsup: hopefully I can start relaxing and sleeping properly too in the next couple of nights.

Same here Smash!

Ok guys, I know a proper introduction is due, but right now I'm just worried. I got my puppy yesterday, it's been 14 hours since he's been home, and he hasn't drank any water, except for a few licks from my fingers.

He's on dry food, and I see no signs of dehydration. Gums are pink, skin supple, he's very alert when he's not zonked out. The only thing is that his nose is not cold, and only a little bit wet.

He also hasn't done ANY wees or poos. At all. In 14 hours. 15, if you count the time we were at the breeder's doing paperwork.

Should I panic, or just worry??? I'm in between those two at the moment...

Are you positive he hadn't done a wee that you may have missed Melina? Yorkie wee's are tiny ????. Maybe in his crate and you haven't noticed? It is a long time in between wee's but if he is active and happy don't stress too much, particularly and it's not hot at the moment. If you are concerned you can always syringe some water into his mouth.

I love these puppy updates. Keep them coming!