A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Murphy sounds like a real character lol Must see pics of him !biggrin.gif

Re desexing. I have heard with bigger boned breeds its best to wait until they are a bit older, but im not expert on this ! How come the vet said it has to be done asap!

I do hope if you don't get it done yet, that he doesn't get to the dog next door. They should have her desexed anyway grrrr (unless they are registered breeders)

Im getting Miah done on the 31st of this Month as she will be just over 6 months. Ive spoken to her breeder about this and shes fine at that age her being done (plus its part of the contract to get it done around that time anyway) Joey our older cav who is desexed is starting to take a bit too much interest in her, and visa versa embarrass.gif

Yes trying to stay warm, has cooled down heaps hasnt it !

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe thanks. :)

I'm toilet training both on an indoor loo (he won't have free access to outside when I go back to work) and outside. It's hard to tell when he's peed outside though cos he doesn't squat or anything, just stands there! :laugh: I have to pick him up and see if his willy is wet but then there's a delay between peeing and praise! Argh! Puppies!

cnsunshine - thanks! We think he's absolutely stunning too.

Justrace - Tango is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, or Toller for short.

Re toilet training - Tango also just stands there and pees. I can only tell he's going because he stops and holds his tail very still... the rest of the time he is on the move and his tail is swishing constantly, or he's asleep.

Re desexing - I think everyone has a different opinion. For both my dogs, the vet recommended doing it at 6 months. I think we got our older girl done around 5-6 months (small xbreed), and we are waiting until Tango is at least 12 months before he will be done because I want to wait until he's done growing, and I'm showing him in the meantime.

Lol thanks guys, I did take a bit more notice when he was going this morning and he definitely gets a look of concentration on his face! That must be his tell. :laugh:

He'll be desexed at 6 months.

My puppy got desexed at 4 months, which was recommended by our vet. Can't remember the reason he gave us but since we didn't know better we went along.

It was a good and bad thing for us. Unfortunately she was very active so her wound got infected and it took longer to heal. but on the other hand, she was already 12-15kgs at that point so we could still carry her up and down the stairs to go toilet. if we had waited later (she's 25kgs at 7 months) I don't think we would be able to carry her. I guess you can make the decision based on your puppy's weight, temperament etc.

I just keep missing him pee lol I grab him and put him on the pad/toilet paper and he stops but then he walks away and pees again so I grab him again.... Repeat, repeat. :rofl: this toilet training thing will be fun. At least the is a tiny bit of pee on the pad now so hopefully he recognises the smell soon. The floor smells like fish and chips again :rofl:

Haha smash, welcome to puppyhood! He's adorable. :)

Nacho has gone on his pee pad 9 out of 10 times. He gets put on it first thing in the morning and then I leave him in his pen when he's had breakfast cos he usually poops/pees right after. The pads I've got have a pheromone in them so whether that attracts him or he just prefers the surface to the tiles who knows. He doesn't usually get let out of the pen until he's toileted.

Hmmm... Maybe my guy is just a bit slower. Next time he pees on the floor, I might rub some pee on the pad. I put some newspaper on it because my breeder was just using newspaper. I'll see how he does over the next few days. When he woke up from his sleep I put him on his pad but he kept wandering off and then I just missed him! :laugh:

Lol, there's definitely some trial and error required!!

We did some 'sit' training this morning and whilst his focus was off :laugh: he was very good. He'd run off and then come bounding back to me and sit rather than jump all over me. Quick learner. :)

Edited by moosepup

How do you guys make your pups stay where you want them to toilet? My guy just pooped on his puppy pad. then i fed him dinner and I noticed he was sniffing around again so I put him on the pad but he kept running away and sniffing in other spots. he won't seem to stay on the pad when I want him to. :confused: I guess it will just take time!

Nacho just always goes on his pads when he's in his pen. I have his crate, toys and food at one end and the pads at the other. I think it's instinctual not to poop where they eat. Keep putting him on his pad and praise him for both sniffing and toileting on them.

Also make sure you have no reaction when he toilets in the wrong spot, just quietly clean it up, preferably without him seeing.

It's only his first day too so he'd still be sussing everything out. :)

I should add that I'm no expert, this is just what I'm doing!!

Ok cool. I think I fussed too much last time when he went in the wrong spot and he went and sulked a bit.

Since the post above he's done two wees and a poop on his pads.

Here's some more photos....!

249049_10151922676424488_1341736906_n.jpg

944652_10151922748889488_1138913508_n.jpg

548338_10151922811429488_1338766853_n.jpg

Another question... If he don't finish his dinner, do I take it away? Can I put it in the fridge? He's been eating with his breeder (and I'll continue) some soaked dry food mixed with a small amount of raw beef or lamb mince. Should I just chuck what he doesn't eat?

I'm worried the meat will go a bit yucky for him.

Dude he's way too cute!!!

Nacho didn't eat his dinner the first night. Chuck out what he doesn't eat, particularly if its raw. I found too that he'll be more inclined to eat if I take the chill off his food by microwaving it for a few seconds (don't cook it, a few secs is all it needs). I give him 30-45 minutes to finish eating and then I take away what he doesn't have.

In the morning he gets RC kibble which I leave for him to eat over the day but he eats most of it when I put the bowl down. In the evening he gets either BARF and/or chicken neck. He also gets a bit of tuckertime roll but I'll probably wean him off that once I use up what the breeder gave me.

Settled into his crate after about 5-10 minutes of soft whimpering. It's funny how he was in and out of his own accord and sleeping in there today but when I enticed him in and turned off the lights and stuff he wasn't 100% happy.

He's snuggled up to his SnugglePuppy with the heat pack and heart beat in it. I've decided to leave the blanket and toy that has his mums scent on it that breeder gave me unless I really need them later tonight.

Wish me luck! Now to wait for the toilet wakeup - I couldn't get him to go before bed and he had a sip of water eeeek

Oh he is adorable smashtank. I used to keep Murphy on a lead to toilet - but I was taking him outside every time - down the the furthest part of the yard. At first I would just carry him there, because we have back steps & he was worried about going down them. Hope you get a good nights sleep.

Nacho is a little sweetie, sounds like he's a quick learner.

I'm leaning towards de-sexing sooner rather than later, I think he's done a fair whack of his growing, just the filling out & getting a little bit taller (maybe) I can't find any research about all of the benefits of leaving them entire until they are fully grown (height & weight)

Had dog school today, Murph was a total goof ball :rofl: even the instructor was laughing at him. Good job he's so cute