A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( I'm worried Tank has developed separation anxiety.

I could hear him barking before I opened the door to our apartment yesterday and the day before. He can't handle being in his pen if we're home - he just barks and barks. He's a Frenchie so he shouldn't really be a barker (and he isn't when we're around).

I think I'm going to start with not letting him sleep with us anymore and go back to him being in his crate. Might be a bit of an ordeal to start with.

Also going to cut being excited to see him when we get home and just greet him super calm and quiet - we were definitely over doing the excitement factor.

Will start coming home at lunch again more regularly too - I slacked off a bit with this.

Any other ideas to help me?

'Seperation anxiety' is thrown around a lot, a bit of barking probably isn't separation anxiety. But you don't want it to progress as he gets older.

Do you stick to your week day routine over the weekend as well? For example, I am home right now, but Nova is outside as he normally would be this time during the week. The weekends are different and we do more stuff, but I do make sure he gets a few hours during the day to be by himself.

Definitely don't great him excitedly. When you get home just say hello calmly and do some other things first like put the groceries away etc, then play with him.

Mix up your routine a bit before you leave in the mornings as well. You probably do the same things, e.g. pick up a bag, pick up car keys, put on shoes then leave. Try to mix it up a bit, and do these things when you aren't leaving, then come straight back in the door. So that routine isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Leave him a nice marrow bone to chew on when you aren't home?

:( I'm worried Tank has developed separation anxiety.

I could hear him barking before I opened the door to our apartment yesterday and the day before. He can't handle being in his pen if we're home - he just barks and barks. He's a Frenchie so he shouldn't really be a barker (and he isn't when we're around).

I think I'm going to start with not letting him sleep with us anymore and go back to him being in his crate. Might be a bit of an ordeal to start with.

Also going to cut being excited to see him when we get home and just greet him super calm and quiet - we were definitely over doing the excitement factor.

Will start coming home at lunch again more regularly too - I slacked off a bit with this.

Any other ideas to help me?

Perhaps he heard you coming? Hopefully he hadn't been going all day, little monkey!

Good idea to cut the excitement til he's calm and quiet, sounds like he's just asserting himself and being naughty more than anything more serious, hopefully you can nip it in the bud early so it doesn't progress.

Thanks guys - bit of reassurance! On weekends I spend all my time with him (get the guilts otherwise!). And I mean all my time - my friends know not to book indoor restaurants for lunches and dinners even if it is freezing!!!! I will start giving him timeout on weekends too :)

Yea sorry to say but you've probably done the wrong thing there. Bit of a shock for him on Monday when he's been with you constantly for 2 days :(

Tire him out in the area you want him to stay before you leave him too :)

I wouldn't panic about doing 'the wrong thing' too much, haha. It's early days. Plenty of time to correct any issues that may crop up, least you're getting them early!

I'm sorry but I think that is terrible advice. Yes it is good that Smash is realising that now (better now than later) , but in general, what you want as an adult you put in as a puppy.

Puppies are there for moulding, thats why sticking to your routine is good and why letting a puppy get away with things you wouldn't tolerate as an adult is bad.

Better to prevent issues than to correct them after they have come up.

Smashtank we live and learn ????. I think it's great that you are aware enough to identify potential issues and take steps to resolve them before it becomes a bigger problem. Raising puppies (just like kids) can be a case of trial and error. Not all methods work for different people, and there is no 'right way'. I think that you have been doing an awesome job with Tank, he is a very lucky puppy ????.

We'll see how we go this week!

We tried the coming home calmly thing yesterday. i couldnt hear him barking through our apartment door and he wasn't feeding off our excitement when we came in.

I checked with our neighbours and they haven't heard him (they have a Weimaraner in their apartment).

Will make sure to give him some time out from us today again.

So hard to not spend time with him - he's so loving and cute! And that face!

Smashtank we live and learn ????. I think it's great that you are aware enough to identify potential issues and take steps to resolve them before it becomes a bigger problem. Raising puppies (just like kids) can be a case of trial and error. Not all methods work for different people, and there is no 'right way'. I think that you have been doing an awesome job with Tank, he is a very lucky puppy ????.

Exactly, Sujo. Sadly they don't all come with individual manuals.

That would be a dreaaaaaam.

Plus you can't go back in time to put a process in place? Not sure what other option there is to start from now?

Here's a photo update from this weekend!

He's been really good - had a couple of time outs on his own without us today. Both times came home and I couldn't hear any barking before we closed the door. We've both been really flat with him - so just backed off the excited affection we have been giving him and just a bit more calm and relaxed. He seems to have responded and he's been calm and relaxed all weekend. Funny how they feed off your energy!

Tank being stubborn and not wanting to leave the park:

33ea52f6f0e611e2aac622000a9f04c6_7.jpg

Tank looking happy / like the Joker:

e01991c2f0e611e2ad5622000a1f98e5_7.jpg

Tank hating his bath...:

ac91e5c0f0cd11e29e8022000a9f04e2_7.jpg

Tank being scared of the water and not going in to get his ball:

40323006f0e111e2979d22000aaa0925_7.jpg

Tank and his buddy Bernie down in Rushcutters:

a1e7fa06f1ae11e2ab5f22000ae911b1_7.jpg

Tank and Bernie again:

9d7426b0f1b911e2be5222000a1fafb5_7.jpg

Tank and Bernie and another little pied Frenchie puppy:

28363ab4f1b911e2afff22000aa80361_7.jpg

Ok so Bailey the Boxer has come home to us a few days earlier than planned. Mr Dash the Boxer who is 9yrs old absolutely petrified of her, Mrs Kahlua the 8yr old Boxer is not sure what to make of her. Bailey wants to suckle off her all the time and she isn't too thrilled about it. She has growled and snapped (but no contact) once and we intervene as much as we can as soon as we see Bailey is going to do it but not sure what else to do to prevent her from doing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glad Tank has responded well to a little extra calmness :)

I was really worried Nixon was headed for separation anxiety when we first got him, so I know how stressed you can feel about it! Our puppy preschool said to never make eye contact when you're coming and going, and as Lisa said, make the whole thing very low key.

I also found Nixon calmed a LOT when we put his crate in his playpen with him when we left him during the day. He definitely isn't 'crate trained' (given he chewed the front flap off his soft crate pretty quickly!) but even with the door permanently open, being in there calmed him a lot and he actually started sleeping while I was at work.

I hope Tank goes well while you're at work today. Let us know!