A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

We didn't leave Gus much when he was younger, I had a week off and my OH works from home but he's worked out any carrying on he may do when no one is home won't do anything for him and now we come home and his bed is warm and kong well chewed. He probably enjoys the break too. Haha.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's confined to one area when you're out - you could set up a webcam to check on him? That's what I did :) I just used the one on my laptop. I'm pretty tech un-savy, but can let you know what I did if that helps.

I'm sure he's fine though!

Smash- I hope this potential problem continues to improve, there is great advice here already, so good luck with it all. I love the Tank photo's, but you are really mean giving him a bath... (couldn't do that here in Armnidale 2 degrees at 10 am) :laugh: I love the look on Bernie's face in the pinned shot, it needs a clever caption.

The rabbit looks like he is saying "look, you may be super cute... but I am the boss here, GOT IT" :rofl:

Willow is turning into a stunner, and really fits her name.

Boxbright- the names of your dogs seems to be forming a pattern.... or is that wishful thinking? :laugh: I can't wait to see baby Bailey photo's. We took photo's of a 9 year old Boxer and his family on Saturday, and I have fallen in love with him- I could so easily steal him, he was the best behaved dog I have met, and a stunning boy. Sadly they lost all their photo's of him as a puppy due to a computer malfunction, so everyone- print your photo's out and back them up, OFTEN.

Di

Ah Steph, I completely forgot to mention kongs. Nixon now hurries me out the door so he can get his kongs sooner. If he has kongs to look forward to he can't wait to get rid of me. Definitely softens the blow of leaving in the morning. I'm about to start reducing his lunchtime feeding - I think he's going to be really confused that he's only getting 1 instead of 2... will probably spend all arvo looking for the 2nd one :)

What do you guys put in your kongs? I gave one to tank this morning with kibble inside and peanut butter over the hole but he didn't appear to have touched it today.

He's really fussy...

Anyway he was fine when I went home at lunch. He was sleeping I think. I greeted him in his pen calmly - didn't say anything for a few mins. Then we played fetch inside for about 15 mins and then did 10 mins of sit, shake, drop and spin with treats for rewards.

Hopefully still okay when I go home tonight!!

I don't get to pop in here too often lately .... but read a lot!

Gotta say, Tank is looking absolutely gorgeous - I love seeing his photos. I really must post a couple more of Banjo - I took some on the weekend. I have to remember to keep taking pictures because they grow so fast .... I was looking at some from when he first came home and, although he is still quite small (almost 20 weeks and just shy of 3kg) he was oh so tiny then!!

Banjo gets a kong every morning that I leave for work. I put either peanut butter or philly cream cheese in it - it's only a small one. He loves it! DH had last week off work and I think quite secretly Banjo was a little miffed - he didn't get a kong once last week! He didn't want to know about me leaving for work this morning, just interested in getting a hold of that kong :laugh:

Does he like the kibble by itself?

That's all I usually use - kibble and peanut butter.

But the first few times I tried to give him a kong, or peanut butter, he wasn't that interested. It took him a while to figure out how awesome it was, and to get in the habit of chewing it nicely.

If he hasn't touched it when you get home, maybe deconstruct it in front of him, so he realises where all the yummy stuff was hidden. Nixon used to bring it to me for help if I'd done too good a job of stuffing everything in there.

Sounds like Tank is settling nicely during the day though :)

I put all sorts of things in mine. I think their favourite is mashed banana, yogurt and kibble with a little bit of peanut butter at each end. Sounds yuck but they love bananas and yogurt! I also do chicken mince though if they aren't eating it it goes yuck, with mixed veg. Sardines, egg etc. I also freeze them so they last that little bit longer. I put just kibble in Atticus's the other day and he didn't touch it... Obviously I've set a standard now. Mind you he also had a chicken wing and a pig ear to choose from.

Edited by Daisy.Tea

Blocking the hole with peanut butter might be a bit hard for him if he doesn't get it yet. Nova is hopeless at them, so he just gets dry kibble at the moment until he figures out how to empty it.

Hopeless at Kongs but too bloody clever for his own good! I had a late day at uni today and finished at 6, came home to him balancing on an empty outdoor setting box (waiting to get taken to the tip) that is about 1.5meters high!!! He would of had to climb up and then balance across a ledge about 5cm wide then jump up and across to it!!! How on earth can a puppy who still falls over to run do that! Scared the shit out of me, no idea how long he was stuck up there, but he waited for me to get him down thank god, box is now crammed in the shed.

I have fun stuffing Kongs - anything the dog can eat goes in there! She's had the simple - peanut butter and philly cheese but also sardines + tuna + cottage cheese + peanut butter. Needless to say, didn't last long, she LOVED it!

Maybe also try (in summer) freezing some diluted chicken stock or broth with some kibble in there. Doesn't need to be in a Kong either. At my old work they would freeze fish in ice cubes (ice cubes the size of buckets mind you) and the seals LOVED them. Not only dogs enjoy those sorts of treats!

So talking about what to put in kongs I see that some are using sardines .... Now I am sure that banjo would LOVE sardines but me - well I've never even opened a tin of the things .... Can they eat,the whole sardine? Are there bones in those things and are they soft enough to eat?? I guess I'm looking for a bit of variety to put with banjo's kibble for breakfast and dinner. Ay

T the moment he gets his kibble with some steamed chicken a bit of grated cheese and plain Greek yoghurt all mixed together - but probably a bit boring every day! What else can I mix in with his kibble to keep it interesting??

Not sure i want to stick sardines in his kong though!!!

I would expect so... Nixon was definitely teething by then. He's 22 weeks now and just entering phase 2 of teething, but all his front ones came in a couple of weeks ago now.

They tend to fall out and grow in so fast you might not even notice any are missing though.

I only really noticed cos there was blood all over one of his fluffy chew toys one night, and when I had a look he had a few wiggly baby ones. gross!

** now I know what to look out for I can also recognise he's got the crazies, and wants to chew everything in sight - every waking moment. At least I know he will calm down again once the teeth come through though.

Edited by aliwake

All I can say is.....Thankgod for Raw Meaty Bones!!! :laugh:

When Willow is in her frenzied, bash everything to bits modes we bung her in the crate with a 'busy' bone to chew.

At first I felt bad, thinking I was doing what a lot of mum's do, shut the kid up with food...but sometimes you just got to tuck them away to get things done. Today I think it has been reaping benefits, she's working out if you aren't hyper active you can stay out longer. I've even had CUDDLES!!! :eek: :laugh:

When it's stopped raining, I'm going to take her out and do some other training with her. (That should wind her up nicely. :crazy:)

Well after two training sessions Treble is starting to sit on command. Not 100% but still better then this morning. I asked for a sit to see where is basic manners were and he just stood there looking at me with a huge goofy grin. The best thing is he is so praise and food motivated when he is asked to do something you can see the cogs working in his head trying to figure out how to get the smallest bit of abomiloaf (my husband's nickname for the Ham and chicken loaf I got him for training treats).

--Lhok