A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Go Treble! He should sleep well tonight thats for sure :)

Update on Nova, these are a few days old. Starting to look mangey, his hair is growing in funny places, and is all legs and head!

Happy Nova!

1239755_10151706064935787_1750569234_n.jpg

Yawning Nova

1231415_10151706064385787_2076856258_n.jpg

Giant Tongue!

1017034_10151706065640787_21140407_n.jpg

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treb had a huge day out today. He went off to the groomers to help blow his coat, the groomers loved him and they told me they got 3 large bags of fur off him :laugh: We then went off to Petstock and I am happy to say he actually ignored the hens but they were in the coop as Dotdashdot put them away. However the rooster decided he would fluff up at Treb to protect his ladies :laugh: After that it was off to the vet to pick up the paperwork I forgot then home. He is at the moment snoring in his kennel run in the cool breeze.

I am super impressed how he took it all in his stride. He was a little wary of the store to begin with but after about 5mins or so he was pretty calm in there. He even sat when I asked him too :laugh:

--Lhok

I LOVE TREBLE! Was awesome to meet him today, and chatting with you! As you can imagine, it's not often I have people come in that 1. understand pure bred dogs and how showing/breeding can become a passion and 2. have great breed knowledge. My workmates get over me talking about it and don't quite understand WHY I don't like BYB's so much. Also loved hearing that you know that info about LUA's!

Adoring all the photos! Oh dear - I can imagine your panic Steph - glad your fellow is ok though - sounds like he kept the vet staff entertained!

I had a major panics attack last night - I have resisted giving Banjo chicken necks because my last doggy, Winston, nearly choked to death on one - the whole panicked dog, frothing, running around in circles thing. Anyway I have been allowing Banjo to have a chicken neck UNDER SUPERVISION and he's had 3 now - but last night he too had a choking episode - he munched it up good, but that last bit that fits in his mouth obviously wasn't munched up enough and it got stuck - poor baby couldnt get it down or back up. Hubby had to stick his fingers down his throat and give it a push to make it go down (which is what the vet told us to do last time it happened). He seemed fine afterwards but chucked it all up at 4am this morning.

No more chicken necks for my boy :scold:

Mine get chicken necks every second day. Watched then like a hawk the first few weeks but not so much now. The SBT digs it out from under her food and is a *crunch-crunch-gulp* kinda devourer while the Mini Schnauzer eats his leisurely and often after he has finished everything else!

Guest hankodie

Glad Banjo is OK YvonneM, I had quite a scare too when I gave Hank his first chicken neck. I was advised in this thread to give him turkey necks or chicken frames instead as they're much bigger. He still loves his chicken necks though so sometimes I smash a few up and cut them up to give him. It's scary how fast they can eat them!

I've just had to read 10 pages to catch up! Now to think of what I read...

Steph, even with the swelling, that's a gorgeous photo of Gus. He's very handsome :)

That must have been a scary experience YvonneM.

Aliwake, I hope Nixon gets better soon. It must suck to see him unwell :(

We give Griffin chicken necks for lunch every day. He's never had an issue with them. We buy the occasional carcass too but the last lot had heaps of skin on them and guts still inside so I ditched them. Wasn't very happy.

We have 5 chooks. Thankfully Griffin only pays them any attention if we're in their run. They've only been out in the backyard once since we got Geriffin and I put him on the lead for it. We have a pain in the butt bush turkey hanging around the chooks and Master G is oblivious to it lol

Master G has had his final jab so we're just waiting out the 10days. At least it will coincide nicely with the school holidays and we can take him to more places. I can't wait! He was 13.6kg at 14.5wks for his jab. He is growing so quickly. I made him a kennel last weekend - thankfully he likes it and uses it lol. I've put a few pics in :)

e5agypen.jpg

6urujuqa.jpg

I have looked over an over and over dog kennels... I finally bit the bullet and orders one from a site - http://www.pet-house.com.au/pets/wooden-kennels/brunswick-flat-roof-dog-house-range.html - we're putting it and their enclosure together this weekend :thumbsup: Thats a great looking kennel you made!

What kind of pup is yours Rangermad? Im so bad recognizing some breeds :confused:

Oh no poor Gus!!

Apart from the swollen mouth he is looking very handsome though! Growing up very nicely!

I'm actually quite afraid Nova is going to do that, he often eats ants just to get bitten and doesn't learn his lesson, he also chases flies, but now the bees are out!!

My 18 month old pug chases flies, but never gets them. He loooooves bees as they are just like slow moving flies :doh:

I keep a box of phenergan handy, and make sure the yard is free of the plants and weeds that attract bees. But phenergan is our friend in summer for little Bee-man!!!

That kennel looks great rangermad! We actually bought one of the cozypets one - I wanted something really sturdy, because we don't actually have any other shelter for Nixon in the yard (other than trees). I have no idea if he actually uses it or not, but I usually give him a kong in there every day, so at least he knows it's his and can go in there if he needs to. Though from what I've seen he'd probably rather wander around in the rain...

Griffin is looking gorgeous by the way! And he's quite big too!

I agree Gus is looking gorgeous Steph - such a handsome (if worrisome!) boy :)

Oh no poor Gus!!

Apart from the swollen mouth he is looking very handsome though! Growing up very nicely!

I'm actually quite afraid Nova is going to do that, he often eats ants just to get bitten and doesn't learn his lesson, he also chases flies, but now the bees are out!!

My 18 month old pug chases flies, but never gets them. He loooooves bees as they are just like slow moving flies :doh:

I keep a box of phenergan handy, and make sure the yard is free of the plants and weeds that attract bees. But phenergan is our friend in summer for little Bee-man!!!

Dory is the bee-durer around here. She's amazingly skilled at catching them just right without getting stung and then shaking them to death. :( (It's fascinating to watch) We discourage whenever we can, but she's pretty obsessed and focussed. She's been known to randomly jump from a standstill to catch flies out of the air when we are out walking.

Willow stands next to her like it's great fun, but she just doesn't know what the great fun is.

Glad Banjo is OK YvonneM, I had quite a scare too when I gave Hank his first chicken neck. I was advised in this thread to give him turkey necks or chicken frames instead as they're much bigger. He still loves his chicken necks though so sometimes I smash a few up and cut them up to give him. It's scary how fast they can eat them!

Yes - I was advised to give turkey necks too - but it isn't really the eating of the actual neck, it's that last bit that fits into his mouth that's the problem - I don't think it would matter if it was a turkey neck or chicken neck!

Guest hankodie

2uy22bs.jpg

Hank had a super busy weekend! We went to the markets and he did so great remembering his training and focus :D Any time he started to look unsure I called him to look at me and he did every time. Today he came with us to the beach and to run a few errands around town.

I did have a couple of episodes this weekend that made me shake my head a little. First off were a couple of parents who I overheard call me rude because we walked past their toddlers without stopping. The kids came full speed at us, arms outstretched and screeching but we kept walking because I didn't want them to frighten him (they were really loud).

Also the number of people who just come up to him and start patting/playing with him is astounding. I've actually had to physically hold my arm out to get them to STOP so I can get him to sit first. I don't mind people patting him at all but I just wish they would ask so he can learn that he needs to settle first before greeting other people.

I've tried to be very direct when it happens and I can tell it throws some people off but I don't know how to sound any more polite than I already am being. I usually say something like "sorry, one second could I just get him to sit first? I'm trying to teach him some manners" etc etc. Oh and the number of people who just ignore me saying this and continue to excite him/pat him and then laugh when he puts his paws all over their face... :mad

Sorry to sound like a cranky old dog lady, I'm just venting but I'm sure some of you can relate! How do I deal in this situation?

On the bright side Hank met a BC puppy at the markets the same age as him, they were both lovely with each other, so gentle! The pup's name was Koda it made me think of you JackC :D (Pretty sure your Koda is a bit older than the one I met but how funny if it was you!)

Edited by hankodie

Sounds like Hank is doing really well!

With the people, I deal with them the same way as you, keep walking, or tell them to wait while I make him sit/ clam down etc, and if they don't listen I get on my angry face and tell them to stop it, and then walk away.

Nova will be grown out of his current harness soon and I'm going to attempt what Lollipup did for Envy, get a harness with signage! I'm so over rude people, hopefully some giant words on the side of a working style harness might make them think twice. It might make them think even more with Hank as he is a Golden, they might mistake him for an assistance dog in training? I had that happen with my Lab when we got him a working style harness, even without the signage!

(Psst: JackC's Koda is an Aussie not a BC!)

Guest hankodie

Sounds like Hank is doing really well!

With the people, I deal with them the same way as you, keep walking, or tell them to wait while I make him sit/ clam down etc, and if they don't listen I get on my angry face and tell them to stop it, and then walk away.

(Psst: JackC's Koda is an Aussie not a BC!)

Whoops sorry JackC! Excuse my horrible breed recognition skills, I do remember you now having a discussion with Lisa about the Aussie coat :o

Lisa that made me laugh, I think my angry face needs more work! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I remember thinking what a great idea the harness was when I saw Envy wearing it. Lollipup (or Lisa), any ideas on where I can find one? "In Training" or "Please No Pats" anything along those lines would work. I'd be happy if it at least deterred some of the parents who let their toddlers run full speed up to him without asking :(