A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Guest hankodie

Congrats Steph M on your new addition! She is so cute :love: I bet Gus is happy to have a buddy.

I just came back from an outing with Hank and a woman commented that he seems very skinny. I told her I was trying to keep him lean on purpose due to the joint issues that goldies are prone to. Then she said "yeah but he looks like you don't feed him enough" and now I'm worried. I brought up the breeder sheet and he does seem to be a little under what the average is around this time of puppyhood for males.

We also went for his 16 week vacc yesterday and they didn't mention anything about his weight but only the nurse administered his shot and not the vet so I didn't get a chance to speak to him about it. The only issue he had was the roundworms I posted about a while ago but after regular worming they seem to have gone away. Should I bring him to the vet again or am I just being silly? It's really hard to tell with him too because he acts like he's starving ALL the time! There's a thin layer of fat over his ribs but I can still feel them and see a faint outline of them through his fur.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sounds pretty healthy to me, and dogs all gain and lose weight differently. Maybe shoot an update email off to your breeder and ask how on track he is, I bet it's fine. I worry Gus doesn't weigh enough sometimes but he's a happy, healthy (mostly) and well built dog so I have to tell myself the age old 'weight is just a number etc etc' haha.

Plus Hank's probably expended a lot of energy kicking the butt of his KK. Go Hank!

I'd be trusting your own judgement over that of a random stranger. If you're worried, up his food a little bit for a week or two (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup), and see what you think? You can always drop it back down again later.

I've read a lot on here about feeding guidelines on packs being excessive, but I've stuck pretty closely to what was recommended and I think Nixon looks about right. I think I probably need to start dropping it down a little, but the pack suggested that at this age too, so it's been fairly accurate so far.

Guest hankodie

Thanks Steph & aliwake. I wonder if she was just used to seeing fat retrievers? :confused: I've been keeping the breeder updated with photos, last one I sent was 2 weeks ago and she said he looked to be in perfect condition. But I might just double check again with her. I'm worried I'm overdoing it with trying to keep him lean, he's my first large breed dog so I do tend to stress about his diet/joints :o

Steph Gus looks so healthy and the perfect weight in that photo.

Koolie, Whippet and JR. I don't see much JR but apparently that featured highly in her brother's DNA test, which I know are often a crock but I'd be interested to see it anyway.

She doesn't strike me as much Koolie other than her colouring, but I don't know much about Koolies. She's only 11kg so maybe that's the JR influence? Haha.

Some Koolies are very finely built, she looks Koolie to me :)

Koolie, Whippet and JR. I don't see much JR but apparently that featured highly in her brother's DNA test, which I know are often a crock but I'd be interested to see it anyway.

She doesn't strike me as much Koolie other than her colouring, but I don't know much about Koolies. She's only 11kg so maybe that's the JR influence? Haha.

I don't know a lot about Koolies, I've always admired them from afar, they seem like lovely dogs! Any handy hints, Kavik? :p

We're much more active already! Hahaha.

Thanks Steph & aliwake. I wonder if she was just used to seeing fat retrievers? :confused: I've been keeping the breeder updated with photos, last one I sent was 2 weeks ago and she said he looked to be in perfect condition. But I might just double check again with her. I'm worried I'm overdoing it with trying to keep him lean, he's my first large breed dog so I do tend to stress about his diet/joints :o

Steph Gus looks so healthy and the perfect weight in that photo.

I agree, but he's sort of stalled at just over 20kg, so actually gone down a kilo or two, but he's never looked porky. It's hard to gauge but I think Hank will be fine too! He looks lovely in your photo updates!

I don't know a lot about Koolies, I've always admired them from afar, they seem like lovely dogs! Any handy hints, Kavik? :p

Being working dogs like Kelpies, they are active and smart, and very trainable. You will have lots of fun :) I like trick training to keep them busy, and also a lot of tricks are actually very useful for agility as well.

Willows nickname is Giraffe Girl at the moment. She's very leggy and super modelesque. You can feel her ribs, and faintly, oh so faintly see the last rib. She has a massive tuck up so she looks skinny. But she's not. She's just right. But between her long legs and tuck up. I wouldn't mind betting to some she looks unfed.

Trust me, I'm throwing food at her, but she seems to be on a super model diet too. :(. (Unless it's chicken wings, turkey necks or bull chews LOL)

Being working dogs like Kelpies, they are active and smart, and very trainable. You will have lots of fun :) I like trick training to keep them busy, and also a lot of tricks are actually very useful for agility as well.

Agility for sure! Koolies are buckets of fun, my parents had one for many years when I was growing up and she was an awesome dog. Fantastic worker, and a great family dog too. There is one in our puppy class at dog school as well and she is just lovely. Very very active!

Well, we had two more negative milestones yesterday:

Our first (rather nasty) anonymous barking letter.... We were out for less than 2 hours, and gave him a bone when we left, so someone has a rather short fuse I suspect. Any of our immediate neighbours would have talked to me, or at least talked to Nixon to calm him down, so I'm guessing someone from the street behind.

The second, was our first birdur, which I suspect was the cause of the barking. I don't think he's fast enough to get one on his own, so I think it may have flown into a window or something...

I've always asked my neighbours fairly often about nuisance barking, and they've said he's good most of the time, so I'm hoping it was an extraordinary circumstance! Getting the letter was a real kick in the guts though - I was shaking for hours after getting it.

Will probably call the council tomorrow to pre-empt any complaints

I would, and perhaps set up an audio recording system or something so you can keep a record for yourself to cover your bum. Maybe worth taking him to meet the neighbours and leaving your number with them if they hear anything? It sucks. With the two dogs playing in the yard they tend to bark when they get going of a day and I worry a little, nothing so far though. Touch wood.

Our first (rather nasty) anonymous barking letter.... We were out for less than 2 hours, and gave him a bone when we left, so someone has a rather short fuse I suspect. Any of our immediate neighbours would have talked to me, or at least talked to Nixon to calm him down, so I'm guessing someone from the street behind.

check with your neighbours first. Would not be a short fuse if he barked for most of the 2 hrs you were gone.

check with your neighbours first. Would not be a short fuse if he barked for most of the 2 hrs you were gone.

I've already spoken to all my immediate neighbours, but I knew it wouldn't be them. They'd all be more likely to just talk to him and tell him to be quiet. My next door neighbour just came over to reassure me again - her mother has been home all day every day for the last week for school holidays and wanted her to tell me she never hears Nixon, and he's the quietest dog in the neighbourhood. Was really kind or her to be concerned for us!

I truly think it was an exceptional circumstance that got him quite distressed (ie the bird). Normally when he sees birds he chases them, but doesn't bark, but I can imagine he'd be pretty outraged if one knocked itself out in the yard.

I love seeing everyone's pics. Hopefully in the new year I will be able to join you all. Best of luck for your show next weekend Lisa and Nova.

Thank you Whippy :)

I'm going to look at the Friday show before class and buy some stuff we will need at the stalls :)

I posted this in the photos thread but thought I might share it here too, just for a laugh.

We were having a lovely lazy morning yesterday and I hopped up to make some cups of tea and came back to this…

8F400Ch.jpg

I suspect somehow that the critters were not the instigators here. Something tells me…

(Brooke knows I posted this, btw. And aside from threats to embarrass me just as badly, doesn’t mind. Haha)

And a big highfive to a few friends on facebook who sent me messages saying ‘WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A WHIPPET X AND CATS? THEY WILL GET KILLED!’

So far she shows no interest in them really, they’re just part of the furniture, albeit a sharp part if you get too close…