A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Guest hankodie

AW new puppies!!!!! So cute!!!

Relieved to hear I'm not the only one who is dealing with a turd puppy at the moment. Hank is strangely OK at obedience but anywhere else he's a total nightmare at the moment especially going places on lead, like you mentioned Dory! Ahhh.

Lisa no good about Nova's paw :( I'm also switching Hank to grain free this week, he's been licking his boy bits a lot and I've just noticed a hot spotish looking rash pop up around the area. I'm trying out Canidae first but Earthborn, Black Hawk and Taste of The Wild were also on the short list. Let us know how Nova goes on the new food!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gus was doing the same thing! Happy to sit, drop, do anything you asked him but in the downtime, or wandering about he was doing exactly the same thing. Being a total knob head! Hahaha.

He doesn't seem to realise that not everyone wants 30kg of big black dog launched at them with sheer joy.

I have to admit, where we can't be in total control and give him all our focus we tend to not take him out on lead, rather drive to the beach/park etc and let him run off lead. I hope we're not doing the wrong thing...

We tend to walk on lead when it's quiet and we can say 'nope, you're being a twit. back we go to the car or away from whatever it is you want' but the thing is with it being quiet, we don't come across many people he wants to talk to etc, but we can reward him for being calm and sedate regardless.

I should also mention after a run he's usually pretty good. So same applies then but I'm more likely to take him down the street or somewhere.

My thinking is when he's so wound up and acting up like that I'm not going to get through to him, so may as well just avoid those situations until I can expect a little more focus from him and he knows what I want from him.

Must be the age thing. It's painful though!

Steph...I'm the same. When we go on walks, we don't come across a lot of people and she's pretty good on lead. She'll try and take off, but you just have to tell 'Ah' and she stops. As soon as people or other dogs come into the picture KnobDog appears and she looses it. I get her to sit before she's seen them, but when she spots them she just doesn't listen. And short of Steve Irwin-ing her to the ground there is not a lot you can do. Food treats? Whatevs. Tug Toy...that gets a quick look, but...whatevs. Fortunately most people don't want to talk to her when she's that much of an idiot, so I don't have to be rude and ask them to ignore her and no she doesn't want pats. :o

My plan is pretty much the same. Work on her focus away from all the delicious distractions and build from there...or wait until she's about 10 yrs old. :laugh:

Talking Willow for a run, does not curb her enthusiasm. Seriously, she is a total nut with people...any people...she doesn't care, they are ALL her friends. Even the scary looking ones. It seems the only requirement is hands to pat her with.

Since upping Treb's dosage to 20mg of Pred under the instruction of our vet he has become a handful. I spoke to the vet about his change in temp and they said they hadn't heard of it happening before and I just have to monitor the situation more closely.

He knocked my daughter to the ground after charging straight into her and stood over her and put his huge paw on her arm which gave her a bruise. It was lucky I was standing right next to him and he got off straight away when I grabbed him. He has also been very pushy with my hubby and I too over food which after speaking to the vets I was told that Addisons dogs are always ravenous and that is just part of the disease. After the responses I got from the vets I am taking him to another vet for assessment as he isn't being his normal self and it is worrying. Bea is also not allowed out in the yard if he is out there and he goes into his kennel run if she would like to play outside.

He still does all his commands like sit, drop, come, wait, paw, back up and go to your bed every time we ask him too its just sometimes out of the blue he just does something random and if you watch him it is like he doesn't even know he is doing it so I am concerned something else is going on.

Sorry my posts of late aren't happy ones :(

--Lhok

Oh Lhok, don't apologise, that must be so distressing for you! I agree it needs further looking into. Perhaps it is another, unrelated symptom? Can you try a different medication at all?

Poor Treble, he must be feeling so yuck and confused :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Treb, Lhok :( You can't seem to cut a break at the moment :(

Willow is a beautiful girl and soooooo suuuuuuper friendly! :D She just wants pats and cuddles and love from everyone! Haha she's great I love her nature. Dare I say it but I think she's an attention wh*re! (Don't tell Dory! :p )

I'm so lucky Sumo is as chilled as he is, I couldn't hold back 65kg of puppy if he decided to go silly :o

Lhok,

sounds like 'roid rage. Maybe 20 mg of pred is too much? You should discuss with your vet but maybe splitting the pred over 2 doses 12 hours apart might help?

The pred is split up over two doses one 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. They upped it from 10mg because he has having runny poops which had blood and mucous in it.

I'm not sure what else I can do for Treb, and I am very worried it could be roid rage I also don't want him to become a danger to my daughter due to him not being himself poor boy.

--Lhok

Could he be undergoing a change in temp due to being uncomfortable? I believe some meds can exacerbate hunger too. I don't know about Pred but could it be one of those too? A quick google search says it can have that affect in humans, as well as feeling jittery and wrong.

Sounds like a dosage or medication issue but these things do need time to settle and take full effect sometimes so might be worth calling the vet before despairing. It so sucks you've had such a crap run, Lhok.

Steph...I'm the same. When we go on walks, we don't come across a lot of people and she's pretty good on lead. She'll try and take off, but you just have to tell 'Ah' and she stops. As soon as people or other dogs come into the picture KnobDog appears and she looses it. I get her to sit before she's seen them, but when she spots them she just doesn't listen. And short of Steve Irwin-ing her to the ground there is not a lot you can do. Food treats? Whatevs. Tug Toy...that gets a quick look, but...whatevs. Fortunately most people don't want to talk to her when she's that much of an idiot, so I don't have to be rude and ask them to ignore her and no she doesn't want pats. :o

My plan is pretty much the same. Work on her focus away from all the delicious distractions and build from there...or wait until she's about 10 yrs old. :laugh:

Talking Willow for a run, does not curb her enthusiasm. Seriously, she is a total nut with people...any people...she doesn't care, they are ALL her friends. Even the scary looking ones. It seems the only requirement is hands to pat her with.

KnobDog! I love that!

And yeah, we might be waiting til ten too. Knowing the Flattie longevity he may well be KnobDog til he drops. Sigh.

Could he be undergoing a change in temp due to being uncomfortable? I believe some meds can exacerbate hunger too. I don't know about Pred but could it be one of those too? A quick google search says it can have that affect in humans, as well as feeling jittery and wrong.

Sounds like a dosage or medication issue but these things do need time to settle and take full effect sometimes so might be worth calling the vet before despairing. It so sucks you've had such a crap run, Lhok.

I have spoken to the vets (not just the one doing most of the work with Treb) numerous times, when he was first diagnosed and they said the pred wouldn't cause a temperament change (I asked because I know what pred can do to someone as I have had to take it before) and again when I saw a change in behaviour stating that they hadn't heard of that happening before. They also said it could take up to 2 weeks before the tabs would be changed and that I have to just manage the behaviours as best I can. Which you know is all good to do if you can separate your 2 year old from Treb, as I basically have to lock one of them up so I can work with the other to keep everyone safe.

I'm despairing because I'm being told that if we can't control Treb's temperament I will have to look at sending him back to the breeder as my husband isn't going to put my daughter at risk as much as we love Treb one bite and it would be over for both of them.

--Lhok

edit to add: I'm not having a go at anyone I just feel like my luck has run out.

Edited by Lhok

OMG! If your breeder was local, then it maybe wouldn't be a bad idea for him to go for a visit until his medication has been sorted out - but I have a funny feeling your breeder isn't close?

It's definitely a scary and stressful situation for all of you. Maybe you could do a call around of local vets, and see if any of them have heard of a temperament change to start with - then maybe you'll find a vet who will be willing to work with you to find a solution. Is the pred a permanent medication or is it just to get things under control initially?

The pred is a permanent medication it is to help regulate his kidney function. I'll be having a chat to Treb's breeder about everything maybe tonight or tomorrow night as well as I feel like she needs to know what is going on even though she is in Canberra she might know something that might help the situation or even be able to chat to her vets for another opinion.

Sorry guys again about the woe is me posts.

editing to add, I think I will give some other vets a call it can't hurt to get some other advice. Thanks for the suggestion :)

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

I hope you can find someone a bit more cooperative... good luck!

Don't give up - you're doing so brilliantly in such an awful situation. I wish we could all help you more, but we can listen, so feel free to vent as much as you need to!

Guest hankodie

Oh Lhok, so sorry to hear about Treb's issues :( no need to be sorry, I'm glad you are keeping us updated. It's sounds like a frustrating situation and I hope you find a solution. Has the breeder ever had firsthand experience with the disease before or is it relatively uncommon? (I don't know much about Addison's).

Talking about "knobdogs" - people used to say to me "oh he's a retriever, they will eat anything!" and it used to confuse me, now I completely get it. In the last 2 weeks Hank's decided that if it's small enough to fit into his mouth, it's fair game. In the last 24 hours he's tried to eat his blanket, the end of a tug toy, a clothes peg, the end of my shoelace, part of my desk, tissue paper and various other household items. I don't even think I can chalk it up to teething either seeing as his adult teeth have all come through!

Oh and christmas beetles. They are everywhere at the moment. Whenever he finds one he lies on the floor and tries to play with it by gently pawing at it and putting it in his mouth, then spitting it back out. He starts growling because they tickle in his mouth (or they don't taste very good). Then when the beetle inevitably stops moving he mourns it's death by whining softly and looking to me helplessly. WTF. Either he's really sadistic and enjoys the slow kill or he's just a dumb-dumb head. I'm hoping it's the latter :laugh:

Edited by hankodie

Oh Lhok, so sorry to hear about Treb's issues :( no need to be sorry, I'm glad you are keeping us updated. It's sounds like a frustrating situation and I hope you find a solution. Has the breeder ever had firsthand experience with the disease before or is it relatively uncommon? (I don't know much about Addison's).

Talking about "knobdogs" - people used to say to me "oh he's a retriever, they will eat anything!" and it used to confuse me, now I completely get it. In the last 2 weeks Hank's decided that if it's small enough to fit into his mouth, it's fair game. In the last 24 hours he's tried to eat his blanket, the end of a tug toy, a clothes peg, the end of my shoelace, part of my desk, tissue paper and various other household items. I don't even think I can chalk it up to teething either seeing as his adult teeth have all come through!

Oh and christmas beetles. They are everywhere at the moment. Whenever he finds one he lies on the floor and tries to play with it by gently pawing at it and putting it in his mouth, then spitting it back out. He starts growling because they tickle in his mouth (or they don't taste very good). Then when the beetle inevitably stops moving he mourns it's death by whining softly and looking to me helplessly. WTF. Either he's really sadistic and enjoys the slow kill or he's just a dumb-dumb head. I'm hoping it's the latter :laugh:

laugh.gif May be a retriever thing! I caught my old Lab "playing" ever so gently with mice that he ended up accidentally squishing. I once saw him carrying one like a puppy! He would get so upset when he realised they were dead.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Treb, Lhok :( You can't seem to cut a break at the moment :(

Willow is a beautiful girl and soooooo suuuuuuper friendly! :D She just wants pats and cuddles and love from everyone! Haha she's great I love her nature. Dare I say it but I think she's an attention wh*re! (Don't tell Dory! :p )

I'm so lucky Sumo is as chilled as he is, I couldn't hold back 65kg of puppy if he decided to go silly :o

She so, totally is. :laugh: Even at home. It's ALL about Willow. :angel::curtsey::lollipop: (At least in her mind. :swing:)

I'm getting my hands on Sumo one of these days. I LOVE his ears and his big boofy head. (and his big feet too :laugh: )