A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Thanks for all the beautiful Nala pics DDD - she is truly a stunner!

Well, Nixon got the snip on Friday. He has been really good, but the challenge, as usual, is to prevent licking. He did not take to the cone at all well (or maybe I'm just too big a softie). He would either lie there and cry, or race around and have a psycho - banging the cone into everything, or stand with his head hanging and the cone resting on the ground.

I bought him a kong cloud collar, which he doesn't mind at all, but it turns out he can still reach his wound with it on. I think it does make it a little harder though.

He not licking excessively - he's just trying to keep up his usual regimen of daily grooming.

I've compromised today by putting on the cloud collar, making him wear a pair of undies, and have given him an absolutely enormous bone to keep him distracted. He looked absolutely hilarious this morning!!

Generally, he was a bit quiet on saturday, but by yesterday was racing around like nothing had ever happened, so he's bouncing back nicely!

I forgot to say that he decided to mark all over the consult room at the vet, which was so embarrassing! It didn't even occur to me that he'd pee inside, but I guess all the other doggy smells were too much for him... He even peed on the corner of a lovely wooden desk they have. Hopefully marking will be a thing of the past now.

Edited by aliwake

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aliwake... Embarrassing Nixon photos would be hilarious! Glad he's not feeling to sorry for himself.

And don't worry about the marking at Vets, it happens all the time. When I was there last week for Nova I apologised as Nova splashed water everywhere, and she said water is much better than the 10 dogs she had in already that day that had marked!

I wouldn't bet on it going away completely especially if it's already started, know plenty of desexed dogs that still mark, perhaps a bit less though.

Ok, embarrassing photos as requested:

This was actually the night before his op, but it cracked me up even though he lies like this all the time! Keeping the boys cool I say...

1469835_10152067415122889_1568873208_n.jpg

The dreaded cone:

1472791_10152067410417889_463515840_n.jpg

For some reason he liked lying on it?!

1475947_10152067410872889_603499372_n.jpg

The only one I have of his cloud collar - will try to get a better one at lunch:

530501_10152067412022889_926300415_n.jpg

sexy undies!

1455029_10152067412802889_1746449364_n.jpg

will try to get one with undies and cloud collar together when I go home - I tried this morning, but I'd just given him his enormous bone and he did a runner on me :)

I agree Lisa, I don't think the marking will stop completely. He loves peeing all over the dog park, so will be interesting to see if he cuts back on that now... It just hadn't even crossed my mind that he would pee inside, but I guess most inside places he will go won't be full of other dogs scents though! The nurse wasn't bothered at all - but I was horrified!

of course - I can't seeing Nixon behaving too grown up anytime soon :) I have no doubt I'll continue to need puppy support for a long time to come! Just wish I'd found this thread sooner when he was a tiny puppy and so so hard to manage!

I havent had a reason to post in this thread until now. We picked a female, 8 week old Frenchie yesterday!

Meet Mila!

She is just the cutest thing! her ears are yet to stand up, but I am sure they will come up soonish. Either way she is gorgeous. She joins our 2 year old Frenchie Ruby, who is having to do some significant adjusting being no longer the only fur-child.

e37b289c5ae711e3a52d0eccbb6729d6_6.jpg

2b10bb025ac711e3bde90eff089adf92_6.jpg

037b2dde5ac711e39a0012d789c104d7_6.jpg

Meeting Ruby:

e05de3ea5af411e3858512f7b6a1d0cf_6.jpg

At her new home:

51e8eb385ac611e3a7580eca4f1a8232_6.jpg

a348f3b45ac711e383e90ee9fc89a8a7_6.jpg

Edited by Sares

Welcome to the thread Sares, Mila is the cutest little thing, and I am sure there will be lots of adventures to share here. :thumbsup:

Lhok- You got Nala cuddles? not fair for teasing us :cry:

Aliwake- Poor Nixon, not only does he have to hav had "that procedure", you are adding embarassing photo's, tsk tsk. You would not see me adding embarassing cross-dressing photo's of Jingo, OR would you??? :laugh:

Meet Miss December, sporting "her" best Lingerie for all the world to see at our Christmas Party on Sunday. It was hilarious seeing people wrestling with their excited dogs as they tried to get the underwear on and race to the finish line.

All I could hear was Wayne mumbling- "I am better at taking this stuff off" :eek:- But Jingo thought it was the best fun ever, and enjoyed his second prize!

Everyone's dogs are so gorgeous, getting prettier or more handsome evry photo I see, and I enjoy hearing about their antics.

Di

post-21758-0-66016500-1386021000_thumb.jpg

Jingo had a blast, and particularly liked the biscuit. He won several and yesterday when I gave him one at home he buried part of it- in the safest place possible in his opinion, in Kira's bed :eek: ..... after all, his big sister is going to keep it safe for him to come back to later..... :rofl:

He allso loved the trifle Wayne gave him for dessert- on a paper plate and all... the look of envy on the other dogs was priceless!

Di

Welcome Sares and Mila - she is absolutely adorable! So lovely to see some new baby puppies joining the thread! I'm loving it!

Tikira - Jingo looks awesome in his Christmas lingerie! He looks much happier about it than Nixon did yesterday :)

Thanks all! I realise I should have been looking in this thread more often, I absolutely LOVE all the puppy photos!!

Mila is settling in really well and her big fur-sister is starting to get used to her and have even started playing together! (supervised of course!)

Here are a few more photos..

545d3e085b9f11e396e312b3099bf222_6.jpg

8e2ab0c65b9911e3af5d12b885f5424a_6.jpg

a8fcee605b9811e388ed123669db74a7_6.jpg

2bf376f05b3e11e3b39112207f9a801b_6.jpg

4a004f025b2411e3bf6f0e92e7737bb3_6.jpg

Sares It is a relief when the dog and puppy begin to interact- I know that that is when I actually breathed again :) I just love the spotty belly.

Di

agreed! such a HUGE relief! They started playing a little bit last night and it took away so much of my anxiety that the older dog would not warm up to her. So happy they are starting to get along.

The tricky part will now be making sure that Mila doesnt harras Ruby to play more than Ruby would like to.