A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panda likes & encourages Laci to chase him.

4599c2de-8a4a-4661-ae3b-606d0ad1ec03_zps2ddca03d.jpg

c05cb13c-9296-406f-988f-cb217630e08c_zpsba31170b.jpg

fc509428-925f-4f37-bb06-083bdef79d19_zps0f31fc92.jpg

The only time he tells her off is if he thinks that her food is his. I had it locked in her pen which he was standing next to trying to figure out how to get it when she walked by, he didn't touch her but had a scary look on his face & made a lot of noise. Laci's like ho hum, what's he on about. :laugh:

Edited by luvsdogs

I've got a question...not a problem and not really about my puppy but I want to access some of the DOL brain trust. So today my FIL set up my old Petsafe kennel run for Nala, so now she has run of our loungeroom (puppy penned) and out our sliding door to this huge kennel run - because he knows I don't trust the staffy x and Cleo with Nala unsupervised. It's the sweetest thing he's ever done for me! I think Nala has him wrapped around her paw lol.

Anywho, I've noticed that the dogs are LOVING running along the fence together, playing and it's safe. However, an interaction between Cleo and Izzy has me thinking. Izzy was sitting about half a metre back from the fence, Nala was in front of her, but obviously on the inside while Cleo walked cat-like in front of Izzy, literally rubbing herself on Izzy each time she passed. She passed several times like this.

I've noticed Cleo does this to me too, she actually did it as I was helping put the kennel run together this afternoon. While I was crouched and trying to cable tie something, she pushed in front of me and rubbed her side against me. I normally push her off me, because it's usually when I'm doing something.

Is this behavior telling me something? In the instance with the other dog I would have seen that as saying "it's MY puppy/toy", but with me there was nothing of value, I was just putting something together. In that instance I would say she was just being a pushy little thing.

Any ideas? It's not something I'm worried about, or I would make a thread about it. I'm just curious as to what you guys might think :)

Not just letting the others know that its her property? I know with cats, when they rub their faces on things its to mark a scent..... but I'm not sure dogs have scenting pores on their sides! LOL

That's exactly what it looked like to me, she's so cat like!

Not just letting the others know that its her property? I know with cats, when they rub their faces on things its to mark a scent..... but I'm not sure dogs have scenting pores on their sides! LOL

That was my thought too. Dogs usually urine mark, lol.

I've got a question...not a problem and not really about my puppy but I want to access some of the DOL brain trust. So today my FIL set up my old Petsafe kennel run for Nala, so now she has run of our loungeroom (puppy penned) and out our sliding door to this huge kennel run - because he knows I don't trust the staffy x and Cleo with Nala unsupervised. It's the sweetest thing he's ever done for me! I think Nala has him wrapped around her paw lol.

Anywho, I've noticed that the dogs are LOVING running along the fence together, playing and it's safe. However, an interaction between Cleo and Izzy has me thinking. Izzy was sitting about half a metre back from the fence, Nala was in front of her, but obviously on the inside while Cleo walked cat-like in front of Izzy, literally rubbing herself on Izzy each time she passed. She passed several times like this.

I've noticed Cleo does this to me too, she actually did it as I was helping put the kennel run together this afternoon. While I was crouched and trying to cable tie something, she pushed in front of me and rubbed her side against me. I normally push her off me, because it's usually when I'm doing something.

Is this behavior telling me something? In the instance with the other dog I would have seen that as saying "it's MY puppy/toy", but with me there was nothing of value, I was just putting something together. In that instance I would say she was just being a pushy little thing.

Any ideas? It's not something I'm worried about, or I would make a thread about it. I'm just curious as to what you guys might think :)

An experienced behavioural trainer I work with says that dogs rubbing against people in that cat like way are showing dominance (or attempting to). It made sense to me knowing the character of the couple of dogs I've come across that do it and the situations in which I've seen them do it...

My little Benji likes to run and hide behind my legs when something is too loud. I don't make a fuss of him, and sook him up... but I just let him sit behind my legs until he feels a bit braver.

Is it bad that I get a bit of a kick out of him doing that? a bit like he KNOWS I am his Mummy :D

Here is my treasure today, I can't believe how much he has grown just in the week and a half since he has been home with me!

xdulaf.jpg

Edited by littleduck

My little Benji likes to run and hide behind my legs when something is too loud. I don't make a fuss of him, and sook him up... but I just let him sit behind my legs until he feels a bit braver.

Is it bad that I get a bit of a kick out of him doing that? a bit like he KNOWS I am his Mummy :D

Here is my treasure today, I can't believe how much he has grown just in the week and a half since he has been home with me!

xdulaf.jpg

Soooo sweet! And no, a dog that turns to mum when he's unsure rather than takes matters into his own hands = :thumbsup:

An experienced behavioural trainer I work with says that dogs rubbing against people in that cat like way are showing dominance (or attempting to). It made sense to me knowing the character of the couple of dogs I've come across that do it and the situations in which I've seen them do it...

thank you :) I've always had a bit of trouble seeing who is the dominant dog out of Cleo and Izzy, they'll both do dominant behaviours but Izzy's health has gone a bit downhill in recent months and I think Cleo has stepped up.

xdulaf.jpg

OMG - I LOVE DALMATIONS!! They are such beautiful dogs. And i dont really see them around as much as I would like..

Benji is just adorable!!

I think its totally fine to let them come to you as long as you dont coddle him when he is scared. I sit on the back step when Ruby (my 2 year old Frenchie) and Mila are playing, so when Mila feels its a bit too much play, she can run back to me and sit under my legs. I dont fuss over her but let her sit there to have a time out from play with the older dog. I want her to trust that I will keep her safe.

She could also just be being affectionate. I wouldn't read into it too much from what you've described. I encourage my dogs not to have any resistance coming into my personal space, so they will lean on me, jump on me etc.

She could also just be being affectionate. I wouldn't read into it too much from what you've described. I encourage my dogs not to have any resistance coming into my personal space, so they will lean on me, jump on me etc.

I was just curious :) this might be her only way of showing affection lol! Already, after 1.5 weeks Nala is more affectionate than Cleo has ever been. Oh she does shove her head into my chest when I sit on the ground, that's her other way of showing her love.

I don't mind that she does it, the dogs have to have their order.

I was just curious :) this might be her only way of showing affection lol! Already, after 1.5 weeks Nala is more affectionate than Cleo has ever been. Oh she does shove her head into my chest when I sit on the ground, that's her other way of showing her love.

I don't mind that she does it, the dogs have to have their order.

Sorry I didn't mean that in a snarky way, just saying that sometimes it can be easy to read into or stress over behaviour especially for new puppy owners! It can be confusing with so much info out there.