A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Waves at the beach are scary for a lot of dogs. Get her used to still water first (like the bath tub), then slowly work up to calmer beaches. Lagoons and lakes are good.

Fritz and Didi are looking HUGE!!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fritz and Didi are growing so beautifully, thanks for the update.

Cheys, our Jack Russell is not much for water either, but he does look like one day he will end up in the spa with us.... just waiting for it to happen!

Jingo had the BEST time over easter at the farm with his "cousin", big Barney dog. After about 10 minutes of letting him explore with his leash on, we let him off, (something that would have never happened with Tip. He shadowed Wayne or me for the entire weekend, and was so good. He had his first dip in the creek, accidentally, which he hated, and got spoiled rotten- but the 22 people out there respected the rules, no chocolate, onions, corn cobs etc :thumbsup:

Di

post-21758-0-32848500-1398643798_thumb.jpg

I finally have a nice, current pic of Nixon to share :) I got a new camera for a trip we're taking in a few weeks, and I'm stoked so far!

Nixon has been going pretty well - he's had a cough for a couple of weeks which has been a bit of a mystery. Was contemplating going back to the vet for chest x-rays, but he's improved a lot in the last day or so, so hopefully it was just a viral thing. The vet also very diplomatically suggested he was looking a bit chubby (which I had already suspected), so we've cut his food back and he's looking better already. Apart from that - adorable as always :)

10290607_10152391032982889_6787019603276233221_n.jpg

Very cute Nixon! Those puppy eyes love.gif

His coat is looking nice and dark now too.

Gotta say I'm impressed with your vet, with my lab we went through a few because they thought a lab "should be tubby"!

Wow Dory, look at Willow! She's is HUGE!

It really doesn't seem like it's been so long!

Edited by LisaCC

Thanks Lisa, his coat is lovely at the moment - I get so many nice comments about it, even from other chocolate lab owners :) All thanks to your Livamol recommendation!

The vet was so funny - he was pretty young and was being so vague and diplomatic. I just ended up saying "are you trying to tell me he's a bit fat?" "cos if so, I agree" and he looked so relieved!

He's just at that tricky age where I know he probably won't get any taller, but I was under the impression that he would continue to bulk up a bit for another few months, so we were being a bit indecisive about whether it was fat or muscle and how he was meant to look. I'm happy to know my gut feeling was probably on the money. We need to switch to adult food asap, but this last bag of puppy food is taking forever to get through now we're feeding him less!

Dory, they look so comfy, and so innocent :D

Aliwake, Nixon looks like he has been on this earth before, his eyes show his soul, but with looks like that it must be hard to cut his food, and I am guessing he does'nt see the advantage of being lean. :) A lovely photo of a stunning boy. Enjoy your new camera, and your trip.

Di

What a lovely thing to say Di - thank you!

I have noticed he definitely scouts around looking for more after he's been fed now, and he comes and gazes at me with his head in my lap when I'm eating dinner, but we've always been pretty good about not giving him access to human food, so I just try not to think about it too much. Hopefully when we're on adult food we'll be able to give him a little more again without it being a problem. I'll be glad once we've found his ideal adult weight and have some more concrete numbers to work with. It's all still up in the air a little at the moment! The vet said he thought around 30kgs would be good, but I have to admit I think it will be a touch over that.

Nixon looks so soft I just want to cuddle him :)

I've been such a bad dog mother! I keep forgetting to buy Didi a coat and tonight was freeezing and dark when I got home but she still needed a walk... good thing my jumper fits her nicely. Sorry puppy I'll buy you one this weekend I promise :o

20140502_183250_zps44667118.jpg

So busy with other things I've forgotten to give Laci updates. She was shown Thursday & Friday of the Anzac weekend & got her 1st 14 points towards her championship. KatieP took her home for the glam spar treatment on the Wednesday (her 7 mth birthday) & she came up so fluffy & white. She's managed to stay clean up until today. :laugh: She's finally caught up to Panda in size albeit a little longer in the body.

Great to see the updated photos of all your pups. They are growing/grown so fast.

Haha love the pics! My dogs are spoilt...being in a petstore all the time I've got several coats for the girls. This season Nala is wearing the DGG Zebra "Onesie" while Cleo prefers to wear the 2013 Wagwear "Ralston" in Teal :laugh:

Esky - we had a spitting image of Fritz in at my work this week - definitely had bull arab in him, more of a mastiff type face but the markings were so similar! Poor boy was a rescue :( He was a handful, my boss had to hold him for the rescue lady coz he was so strong! Would have been good for your weight pull! (he looked older than Fritz though)

And Nala did me proud today, she got a minor puppy in group and didn't even shy away from the judge (my big fear) she also had many admirers - we're going to get big heads!

Congrats on both your shows DDD and Luvsdogs.

Was that Nala's first points too DDD?

Just incase anyone is looking, my friend had the best idea today about puppy coats! Since it was snowing back home, the whole town ran out of dog coats, so she bought a cheap childs vest and it fits her 6month short haired BC perfectly! Looks very cute too, great idea for growing pups!

Edited by LisaCC

Haha we posted in the same minute Luvsdogs and I missed your post, WELL DONE!!

No, we didn't get points as Nala got reserve bitch behind a puppy bitch (who was runner up BOB) meaning we got 3rd overall in the dallies.

But we have 3 more shows in 2 weeks time, and i'm much more confident now that Nala is more confident.

Lisa that's a good idea for the fast growing pups! We brought Cleo home in June 2011 and we had such a tiny little coat for her. It's so cute and little! But I only bought it coz it was so cheap!

Congrats on Lace's first points :D :thumbsup:

I couldn't find any vests cheap enough :/ So the coats worked out better for us.

The greyhound rug thing I posted is a little big on him length wise, but he'll grow into it.

Dotdashdot: They're so strong aren't they. I guess you've got to be to stop and hold a pig. I can barely hold him back if he really wanted to pull me.. Must work on loose leash walking. We either do harness work (PULLING) or free running .. Not nice calm walkies :o

Oh I feel horrible actually, on Friday night I decided to get Fritz used to something being pulled behind him for weightpull & racing. So I harnessed him up, and attached a large water bottle for him to drag along while he got treats. Anyway he got totally spoooked, ripped the lead from my hand and bolted off barking at the scary thing following him :(

Managed to catch him. He totally hates that water bottle thing now. Gives it a sniff and a good staring every time he walks past it. Funnily enough though I hooked him up to the scooter today to get him used to that and he was fine. Started pulling :) Poor thing :(

Aw poor Fritzy, but that sounds like something Nala would do. Although today Cleo got totally spooked by a horse over 100m away neighing (loudly and it sounded cranky). I laughed, so much for a carriage dog with a natural affinity for horses.

It's good that he was fine with the scooter though!

Thanks esky I always have my eye out for cheap coats... really need to get onto actualy buying one! today I bought Didi the cutest bandana hehe not really a necessity but she pulls it off so well ^.^

Happy birthday Nova. Enjoy your Salmon.

Gee that year went so quickly, and Nova has grown into a gorgeous dog, it has been fun watching him grow, and I look forward to his next adventure.

Di