Westminster Show - Usa

Jed

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe your question is the answer? The win has become more important than the dog.... :(

Yes, but why? Aren't there enough breeders of German Shepherds for whom the dog is more important to be able to take a stand? As these deformed creatures are winning at shows, I guess not.

There are breeders who take a stand, they just don't win in the showring. I would rather a healthy dog who has never seen a showring. (Pic is not mine, its a stock image)

post-41812-0-66228100-1361880855_thumb.jpg

as a comment on the greyhound...TBH it looks more normal then other AKC show type grey's I have seen, even in that pic. it looks a little odd(in both that pic and the win pic) but I have seen far stranger looking AKC greys lol, usually huge barrel chests, crazy long necks, with miniature heads..they often look like someone took a bunch of different size parts and glued them together on one dog, that dog at least looks semi proportionate lol

Guest Maeby Fünke

Here is the link, it is too big to download. Some great photos, not all stacked and a chance to see some breeds we don't have in Aust.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/12/sports/westminster-dog-show-best-of-breed.html

Thanks for that... What beautiful dogs. My favourite is JJ the Pug

pug_600.jpg

Edited by Maeby Fünke

[Print A4 PDF of Breed Standard] [print page]

GREYHOUND STANDARD.

AUSTRALIAN STANDARD.

Group: Group 4 (Hounds)

History:

General Appearance: Strongly built, upstanding, of generous proportions, muscular power and symmetrical formation, with long head and neck, clean well laid shoulders, deep chest, capacious body, slightly arched loin, powerful quarters, sound legs and feet, and a suppleness of limb, which emphasise in a marked degree its distinctive type and quality.

Characteristics: Possessing remarkable stamina and endurance.

Temperament: Intelligent, gentle, affectionate and even tempered.

Head And Skull: Long, moderate width, flat skull, slight stop. Jaws powerful and well chiselled.

Eyes: Bright, intelligent, oval and obliquely set. Preferably dark.

Ears: Small, rose-shaped of fine texture.

Mouth: Jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Long and muscular, elegantly arched, well let into shoulders.

Forequarters: Shoulders oblique, well set back, muscular without being loaded, narrow and cleanly defined at top. Forelegs, long and straight, bone of good substance and quality. Elbows free and well set under shoulders. Pasterns moderate length, slightly sprung. Elbows, pasterns and toes inclining neither in nor out.

Body: Chest deep and capacious, providing adequate heart room. Ribs deep, well sprung and carried well back. Flanks well cut up. Back rather long, broad and square. Loin powerful, slightly arched.

Hindquarters: Thighs and second thighs, wide and muscular, showing great propelling power. Stifles well bent. Hocks well let down, inclining neither in nor out. Body and hindquarters, features of ample proportions and well coupled, enabling adequate ground to be covered when standing.

Feet: Moderate length, with compact, well-knuckled toes and strong pads.

Tail: Long, set on rather low, strong at root, tapering to point, carried low, slightly curved.

Gait/Movement: Straight, low reaching, free stride enabling the ground to be covered at great speed. Hind legs coming well under body giving great propulsion.

Coat: Fine and close.

Colour: Black, white, red, blue, fawn, fallow, brindle or any of these colours broken with white.

Sizes: Ideal Height:

Dogs 71-76 cms (28-30 ins)

Bitches 69-71 cms (27-28 ins)

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

AKC Breed Standard

Head - Long and narrow, fairly wide between the ears, scarcely perceptible stop, little or no development of nasal sinuses,

good length of muzzle, which should be powerful without coarseness. Teeth very strong and even in front.

Ears ­ - Small and fine in texture, thrown back and folded, except when excited, when they are semi-pricked.

Eyes ­ - Dark, bright, intelligent, indicating spirit.

Neck - ­ Long, muscular, without throatiness, slightly arched, and widening gradually into the shoulder.

Shoulders - ­ Placed as obliquely as possible, muscular without being loaded.

Forelegs ­ - Perfectly straight, set well into the shoulder, neither turned in or out, pasterns strong.

Chest ­ -Deep, and as wide as is consistent with speed, Fairly well sprung ribs.

Back ­ - Muscular and broad.

Loins ­ - Good depth of muscle, well-arched, well cut up in the flanks.

Hindquarters ­ - Long, very muscular and powerful, wide and well let down, well-bent stifles. Hocks well bent and

rather close to the ground, wide but straight fore and aft.

Feet ­ - Hard and close, rather more hare than cat feet, well knuckled up with good strong claws.

Tail ­ - Long, fine and tapering with a slight upward curve.

Coat ­ - Short, smooth and firm in texture.

Color ­ - Immaterial

Weight ­ - Dogs, 65 to 70 pounds: Bitches, 60 to 65 pounds.

Scale of Points

General Symmetry & Quality

Head and Neck

Chest and Shoulders

Back

Quarters

Legs and Feet

Total

Notes:

Edited by oakway

Maybe your question is the answer? The win has become more important than the dog.... :(

Yes, but why? Aren't there enough breeders of German Shepherds for whom the dog is more important to be able to take a stand? As these deformed creatures are winning at shows, I guess not.

There are breeders who take a stand, they just don't win in the showring. I would rather a healthy dog who has never seen a showring. (Pic is not mine, its a stock image)

Wow, a GSD that doesn't look like its arse is hanging around its ankles.

DD, the first white bully is a mini, i thought its head was a bit too big. I liked the standards ( they look more like they should be, not like some of the monsters around).

I thought the Lab, Pug and Mal were way too fat.

The Weim and Dally looked tucked up and odd?

My sis has a Beagle in the states ,papered, and its so short it looks like a cross with a basset.

The state of GSD's is a disgrace. :(

But one of its elbows is almost touching the ground. :(

DD, the first white bully is a mini, i thought its head was a bit too big. I liked the standards ( they look more like they should be, not like some of the monsters around).

I thought the Lab, Pug and Mal were way too fat.

The Weim and Dally looked tucked up and odd?

My sis has a Beagle in the states ,papered, and its so short it looks like a cross with a basset.

The state of GSD's is a disgrace. :(

I didn't realise that about the white bully, juice, but I didn't particularly like it. Love coloured properly proportioned minis. :laugh:

I'm so glad others feel the same way as I do about the GSD. I wonder if judges will start to have some guts and throw the "deformed" ones out of the show ring ??

But one of its elbows is almost touching the ground. :(

what you call an elbow must be different to what I call an elbow.

Probably, but this is what I mean.

OK, I call that the hock joint, or just the hock. The elbow is on the front leg, below the chest. Hence my confusion :laugh:

dog anatomy

Looks like an awesome GSD to me DD!

LOL. At least his back is straight.

Thanks for the clarifcation, Diva. :o:o I used "elbow" in a previous post too.

Funnily enough, I love looking at all the charts at the vet, but once I'm out the door, it is also out of my head.

Kind of explains why you bagged the BOB Whippet,you had no idea what you were looking at, aren't familiar with anatomy or a breed standard

Most of these photos are very average ,the Irish looks awful in its photo compared to what it does in the ring .

These aren't true to stacked photos & many look like there slipping on the flooring

I thought alot of the dogs looked unsure, tails between their legs.

I liked the bullys, nice and even looking, i didn't know they had different class's for coloured ones, seems a bit odd.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I was so pleased to see these posts because I was quite shocked and was hoping I wasn't the only one. I thought some of the photographs were simply awful and in some the dogs looked almost deformed !!

When I saw the Whippet, my immediate thought was that Kirislin's dogs would beat that one hands down.

Same for some of the other breeds I've seen represented on DOL.

Juice, I thought the while Bully looked "not so good", but really liked Yum Yum the coloured one - LOL.

The photo of the GSD made me just feel sad. :(

ETA: I watched a video of Best In Show a couple of days ago - LOL.

That's a big call to make.

He's a very promising 14 month old and nicely bred to boot, he's got a lot to offer the breed.

I'd like to hear what you think he lacks according to the standard

I LOVED the young Whippet and absolutely LOVED the BOS bitch as well. Either I'd happily have in my yardthumbsup1.gif

I suggest people who haven't already done so, go along to a GSD National and watch the top dogs in this country in action. The Open Bitch class at the last National held in the NSW Hunter Valley had me in tears. They were absolutely OUTSTANDING!! The judge moved them continuously for a very very long time and guess what, not a single one broke down or even remotely looked crippled. The top 10 took my breath away and I'm not even a GSD owner!

Looks like an awesome GSD to me DD!

LOL. At least his back is straight.

Thanks for the clarifcation, Diva. :o:o I used "elbow" in a previous post too.

Funnily enough, I love looking at all the charts at the vet, but once I'm out the door, it is also out of my head.

Kind of explains why you bagged the BOB Whippet,you had no idea what you were looking at, aren't familiar with anatomy or a breed standard

LOL. Your bagging doesn't worry me - there have been plenty of other posts that express lack of support for several of the dogs. To my eyes, the dog was not attractive and as I have said, I was going on looks alone when I said Kirislins dogs would beat it hands down. A woman can have a perfect figure, but if she has a face like Syvester Stallone she isn't going to win Miss Universe is she?