Help Pls With Agressive New Dog

We have brought home a dog from the pound yesterday and after the initial good introduction at the pound, he is being very aggressive toward my existing dog at home.

He’s absolutely lovely on his own around all people, but is understandably very needy and insecure. He is crowding the other dog out, growling at him, has had a go at him several times, jumping up at me all the time. I have taken to carrying the crop around the house all the time to keep an eye on him near the other dog. He’s responding well to reprimands but it’s too early of course to say whether there will be any improvement long term. I feel he has over-bonded to me and I haven’t been overly encouraging this.

He’s a youngish cattle dog/Basenji cross, the older one is a very laid Parson Russell terrier, who generally gets along with all dogs.

Could people give me some tips for dealing with this type of aggressive behaviour, we are very worried but need to give him a fair chance, he has been with us for less than 24 hours. I am doing things like:

Not letting him jump up on me.

Sit nearby while I pat the other dog, or am patting them both simultaneously

Give the other dogs treats first and make him wait and be second.

Feeding them separately outside.

He clearly needs to learn his place in the pecking order but I am wondering at the likelihood of success in retraining him. What are the chances of success and how quickly is it fair to expect some improvement?

I’ll take him out on his own this afternoon for a good bit of exercise, probably a run to try to tire him out a bit.

We’re very nervous, this sort/level of behaviour can’t be tolerated for any length of time.

To be honest, I'd take him back to the pound, otherwise you'll need a behaviourist to come and observe him at home and that's big dollars, time and no guarantee.

I'd look for a dog through a rescue group, they have been with foster carers, they know the dog very well and can match one to suit yoir family.

In my view, either get somone very experienced to watch the interactions and judge the level of agression, or return the new dog to the pound (or find a rescue to take him if you can).

Any risk to your older boy is unfair, it sounds like the new dog realises you are a valuable resource snd is guarding you like one. But for me, the safety of any existing pet has to come first.

If you tell us where you live someone will be able to recommend a behavouralist to take a look.

I have to agree with the above statements, take him back, there are just too many dogs looking for homes, and whilst he might come good, it's not a good start. if you have taken to carrying a crop, you obviously fear for your first dogs life, if not your own safety. return the dog today. don't listen to the pound if they say things like, he'll be put down. think about how you will feel if he kills your dog. if you want a second dog, there are plenty looking for homes out there.

How disappointing for you.

We recently acquired a new dog. When we got him home, he, too, was resource guarding, particularly me from our existing dog. I was very worried about this behaviour and sought the help of a trainer. I won't go into what she had us doing because I will likely just confuse you and leave critical parts out but it was extremely successful very quickly.

He has been here a few months now and is just so lovely. I'm not sure how bad your dog is but if you really feel that you would prefer to keep him and give it a shot, you will definitely need some professional assistance and soon.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

How disappointing for you.

We recently acquired a new dog. When we got him home, he, too, was resource guarding, particularly me from our existing dog. I was very worried about this behaviour and sought the help of a trainer. I won't go into what she had us doing because I will likely just confuse you and leave critical parts out but it was extremely successful very quickly.

He has been here a few months now and is just so lovely. I'm not sure how bad your dog is but if you really feel that you would prefer to keep him and give it a shot, you will definitely need some professional assistance and soon.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Please, please do tell me - I am very experienced with training horses to a high level and have had dogs my whole life, also being around my father who trained gun dogs to a high level, so I think I would understand the theory behind it. I am also a people trainer in everyday life...

Thank you everyone else for your comments too... I am considering enlisting the help of local behaviourist I know...

Perhaps this is why the dog was in the pound? :( What did the Pound's temperament test discover? Why was the dog in teh pound, did they say?

What did your vet find in the "here is my new dog , is he all present and correct?" check before you brought him home ? Did the dog react to other dogs there?

He is stressed.. your dog is stressed .... you are stressed.... I suggest -either separate and introduce very gradually ..or return the dog now .

What someone else needs to do to sort out their dog problems may not be at all what you and this pound dog needs.

With your training experience ..you will know that every animal is different, every reaction to situations differs somewhat , and any education needs to be tailored.

the use of a crop may well be exacerbating feelings of defensiveness/aggression ...

the breeds making up this dog may also affect how it is behaving .... and what needs to be done.

it is not a 'gun dog' temperament, or a terrier temperament ...

separate the dog and do not let it out with yours at all until you teach it the new rules of the house. Crate time, outside alone time and on lead in the house only and you supervise all interaction on lead with your dog. You do this until you get a lid on things properly. I NEVER let a new dog just go out with my own it would be world war 3 particularly with the breed you have.

The dog needs to learn it's place, what behavior is tolerated and expected and that you are the primary leader in the house to look to for guidence. You can't do that with a riding crop and free for all, you need to control the dogs ability to be rewarded and punished for behavior.

separate the dog and do not let it out with yours at all until you teach it the new rules of the house. Crate time, outside alone time and on lead in the house only and you supervise all interaction on lead with your dog. You do this until you get a lid on things properly. I NEVER let a new dog just go out with my own it would be world war 3 particularly with the breed you have.

The dog needs to learn it's place, what behavior is tolerated and expected and that you are the primary leader in the house to look to for guidence. You can't do that with a riding crop and free for all, you need to control the dogs ability to be rewarded and punished for behavior.

Great advice.

This is the same advice I was given with fosters when they come into my home.

It does take a bit of time for the new kids on the block to learn their place.

I wouldn't feed them anywhere near each other either (food is just another resource).. One wrong look from one dog to another can cause all manner of problems. Maybe feed one inside and one outside (or both in crates)??

Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses, people, I really appreciate them.

The dog's previous history was not known, he was not microchipped. They did keep him for a long time though as they wanted him rehomed, they must have seen some good in him.

I have him temporarily muzzled, he has realised he can do less and so has the other dog. I like the on the leash idea inside the house, I will consider crating him... lots of good ideas in here.

He has only just been desexed, and I will start exercising with him now he has been here a couple of days.

The riding crop is actually working extremely well.

We hope to see at least some minimal improvement to give us hope by the end of the weekend, otherwise he will go back then. I might be the bleeding heart who would persevere with him longer but my husband might, in all fairness, say no.

If you are not going to take the dog back you need professional help. The longer you avoid it the more damage is being done to both dogs. Perhaps if you say what area you are in then someone on dol can recommend someone decent.

Dogs are not horses or people. Experience with them won't help in a tricky situation like yours. There is also a big difference between experience training for dog sports and behaviour modification. Think about it, you wouldn't go to a maths teacher to help your child overcome a fear of heights???

Don't muzzle the dog, that will not fix the problem. Also that dog can bash your old dog in a muzzle and injure him - they get sneaky with muzzles if they want to push a point once the novelty wears off. It's also not a nice way to live, and you're not fixing the root of the behavior.

Separate, crate, and supervise interaction until they're sick of each other and really over the novelty. One month I kept an old pug separate now she's the cow in the household lol not the 4 Malinois

Agree with Nekhbet. You've got a new dog who is learning the "who's who" and the rules of the household. Simultaneously, whilst he's learning this, he's learning/practicing undesirable behaviour. And whilst you're trying to teach him the "who's who" and the rules of the household, you're also trying to : (a) unlearn (so to speak) him the undesirable behaviour he's exhibiting; and (b) show him why that behaviour is undesirable; and © what behaviour 'works' to his advantage.

That's a lot for a dog to take in and absorb when, from his point of view, he's only working off instinct and/or previous learnt behaviour.

So simplify it - for the dog's sake, for your other dog's sake and for your sake. Complications of muzzling and threatening can have a habit of failing further down the track.

"Separate, crate, and supervise interaction until they're sick of each other ... " as Nekhbet has suggested.

Thanks everyone, it's been really good advice.

Sadly he had another serious attempt at my other dog last night and my husband and I decided that was it. He went to the pound this morning.

I think the crating would have been a good option. There have been many excellent suggestions in here, I really appreciate them all.

I believe we made the right decision, I could imagine even months down the track there might have been a slight incident of jealousy over a ball resulting in me coming home to my other dog seriously maimed or dead. I made the decision not to risk that occurring.

I think you did the right thing. It sounds like you were all (human and canine) anxious and afraid with that dog around.

A rescue organisation that has has already assessed a dog in foster care and that also allows you to trial a dog in your home might be a better option. Or a dog from a breeder that is past the puppy stage and is needing a pet home?