Weightpull

Since there aren't any open threads, I thought I'd start one for weightpull.

If you're a competitor please come join in the thread, post up any upcoming events and event share some training tips ;)

Oh and if you've got brags we'd love to hear them :D

2013 Events

South Australia

Hosted by the South Australian Sled Dog Club

Open Breed Event.

All competitions are at Paracombe Community Sports Centre, Paracombe Road, Paracombe except for the Adelaide royal event.

Event 1 : 14th April

Event 2: 19th May

Event 3: 28th July

Event 4: 8th September

Event 5 : 13th September Adelaide Royal Show

Event 6: 6th October

South Australian Events

Victoria

All events in KCC park

AMCV= Alaskan Malamute Club of Victoria

ASTCV = American Stafforshire Terrier Club of Victoria

Calendar:

AMCVEvent 1 : 7th April

AMCV Event 2 : 21st April

AMCV Event 3: 5th May

ASTCV Event 1 9th June

ASTCV Event 2 11th August

AMCV Event 4 8th September

AMVC Event 5 13th October

Info for Victorians

Sunny Queensland

Events by Alaskan Malamute and Siberian Husky social club of Queensland Inc.

All events at Dogs Queensland Durack grounds

Calendar

1: April 20th

2: May 18th

3:August 31st

4: September 14th

http://www.amscq.com.au/calendar.shtml

New South Wales

Saturday 4th of May at Castle Hill showground

Weigh in 7am, comp starts 8:30am

Being run by the Alaskan Malamute Club of NSW

Edited by Esky the husky

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to start it off Esky? I have a young lab who loves to pull. I am thinking it is a sport he might enjoy - but apart from some YouTube videos (....showing beefy blokes with their bully breeds in the USA - which quite frankly doesnt appeal all that much) really know nothing about it.

If you find beefy guys and their bull breeds off putting rubyblue - how about a beefy gal and her bull breed....

DallasWeightpull_zpse76a0f03.jpg

This is early in the rounds, there's only about 50kg on the trolley (+ the trolley weight itself), but a good place to start and to build up their confidence

This is our gorgeous Dallas who died on Thursday but he loved weightpull and we had so many hopes for him to compete this year (when he'd be 3 so fully mature)

Great sport for a strong determined dog - some will do it some won't and if they hate it there's nothing you can do to convince them otherwise.

3 competitions for 3 wins overall - but a strong 16-20kg dog probably has a distinct advantage over most strong 30-40kg dogs in novice events. Dallas' best pull was 26 times his own body weight, just over 400kg. For a bigger dog this could be 780 - 1000kg which is a big ask for a dog not conditioned specifically for weightpull.

Think the grin says it all...

DallasWeightpull3_zpsf43b97d4.jpg

DallasWeightpull_zps28b84071.jpg

Edited by Sandra777

Our events are all open breed, although since its run by the sled dog club, we get a majority of competiors being arctic breeds. We have sibes, sammies, mallies and a gsd and a newfie competing presently.

It is scaled, and there are also classes

25 kg and under - 25 - 35 , 35-45 and then open

There are normally prizes awarded for top weight pulled (usually taken out by the big breeds) and also for percent of body weight pulled.

Our top for that is a sibe in the 25kg and under who pulls around 33x it's body weight.

The dogs have to pull the cart 5 metres and they have a minute to do it.

After each round the weight of the cart is increased by one unit- in our case a 20kg sandbag. Depending on your dogs weight they can come into the competiton later as the weight is higher. You dont have to start in the first round. The othe thing is that dogs can pull one round and then sit out the next two.

Say Esky pulls 100kg she can skip 120 and 140 but then has to pull 160 to remain in the comp

:)

5 metres - thanks esky!

The competition here is run as the dogs pull equal weights until they "fail" or the owner opts to stop, but the placings are determined by the dog's body weight not by the maximum weight pulled so you don't have to get top weight to win - a 10kg dog who pulls 100kg (10 x it's weight) will beat a 50kg dog who pulls anything less than 501kg. (500kg being 10 x it's weight)

There is novice and open depending on the dog's experience.

The club here doesn't give out a prize on the day for the most weight pulled, just the 1-2-3 placings based on the dog's body weight, but they may have club prizes for this at their end of year picnics, I don't know. Amstaffs & Staffords seem to be the only non-Sibe or Mal's that come to events up here, although there was a Bullmastiff type dog that turned up once last year so perhaps the word is spreading

In practice most light weight dogs (under 14-15kg) seem to be handicapped by their simple lack of weight to pull the sled off the mark at the higher weights - basic inertia wins.

Our 14.2kg bitch pulled 225kg, but she couldn't get it started so was eliminated - if the dog "fails" the attendants get the trolley rolling and will push it a little to make the dog believe it's achieved - for her once the trolley was moving she kept it going no problem at all.

Dallas was always just speciality show fit for this, we didn't do any special training - walking, flirt pole & ball chasing was his lot :D

Lisey the Siberian Husky & Alaskan Malamute Social Club do this in Brisbane - last year it was at Durack. They have a website & fb page. First comp is on the 20th. Pretty sure they have to be 18 months old to have a go at the competition.

Looking to start this with my rescue Pit Bull/Amstaff type dog when I can.. For people in Sydney the Alaskan Malamute Club are in the process of setting it up (all breeds). Join their facebook group to keep up to date:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/248281438529547/

If anyone else is really keen to get it going, Farmer Dave has been considering it out at his canine sports centre at Box Hill too but has it on the backburner at the moment as he's focusing on other sports. Jump on his page and tell him you want to attend! If he gets enough people asking for it, it'll hopefully mean he'll put it as more of a priority:

http://www.facebook.com/AustralianCanineSports?fref=ts

We had one turn up last yeat but i havent seen them out again. Id love to see any bull breeds come out in sa

Really, no bull breeds at all? Interesting.. Overseas this sport is absolutely dominated by bull breeds, especially pit bulls. Maybe we'll be the first ones then!

Currently we are mostly doing drag weights -- we're up to just under 12 kg "endurance pulls" at the moment -- and a little carting with one of those garden carts you get from Bunnings. I'd love to lay down some carpet on our driveway, it would make a great track. My aim is to get him to bring our shopping home every week or two. :)

Edited by Hockz