Working Dogs And Microchipping

I was speaking to my friend last night about her kelpie x that she's recently bought from a farm -- after discussing with her going to a registered breeder. The puppy came with it's first vaccination but not microchipped, which I informed her was illegal in NSW. She told me that working dogs in NSW are exempt from being microchipped but upon research, I've read the following:

Under the Companion Animals Act, dogs that meet the definition of a 'working dog' are exempt from microchipping and registering when:

• the working dog resides on land defined and rated as farmland under the Local Government Act 1993, or
  • the working dog is kept in the Western Division of NSW, being not within a local government area.

All other working dogs MUST be microchipped and registered. However, a nil dollar (free) registration fee applies.

As the dog has been sold as a pet to a non-farm, the law is clear that the puppy should've been microchipped. What I'd like to know is about the price. Does the last sentence mean that her puppy's 'breeder' could've had him microchipped for free?

The other thing, my friend is not planning on having him chipped until he's desexed at 6 months old because she's been told that the microchip isn't activated until the council rego gets paid. :confused:

I don't know who's giving her this information, but I told her that if her puppy gets lost between 8 weeks and 6 months, if the microchips aren't 'activated', how are the owners located? I do know that she's getting her info from a person who hates registered breeders because my friend said that she needs to take her cross breed to agility to show up all those purebred dog snobs. :mad

I'm feeling very annoyed with her because she's using her dog as a competition with Zeus -- I'm doing agility with him, so she's trying to build him agility jumps and the likes and he's only 12 weeks. I had to tell her about growth plates and waiting until at least 12 months before getting him jumping. It's sounding a lot like anything Zeus can do, my pup can do better at the moment -- not to mention that she's stolen my favourite dog name (which I as planning for my dog) for her puppy. :mad

The pup needs to be chipped and registered before six months of age, but there is no registration fee. The chip is active when it is injected. Some vets recommend doing it all at once at six months, chip, desex and rego, as the registration fee is considerably less once the desexing is done. This then encourages people to get it done.

If the dog will be working, it will be free to register with council. If it's a pet, the fee should be paid.

Oh, but the full datatbase might not be updated until rego. But most details are done at the time of chipping. In NSW anyway.

Edited by Alyosha

I'll be having my first working kelpie litter in a few months and have done a heap of research on it. It clearly states that I have to have my puppies chipped as I do not live on farmland, but due to the fact that my dogs are working dogs and do actively work I can reg for free any dogs I keep and as I'm only selling my dogs as workers whoever buys them can reg them for free as well. My friend however is living in farmland zone only 20ks away and he didn't have to have his pups chipped before sale. I like the idea of chipping working dogs, as tattoos can be impossible to read.

Edited by mixeduppup

In my council area in NSW, working dogs have to be microchipped, council will come out and check if the dog is actually a working dog before allowing free registration but the cost of the microchipping is at the owners expense.

Edit to add.

Council ranger came out to see if my dogs actually worked. We are on a small cattle property bordering our town.

Edited by smooch

I'm getting a WKC reg pup soon, breeder is on a farm and works his dogs, sells most as workers. The breeder said the pup won't be microchipped so I will have to get that done myself when I get the pup home. This was the case with Kaos's breeder as well (also WKC and on a farm, works her dogs and sells most as workers)

I was speaking to my friend last night about her kelpie x that she's recently bought from a farm -- after discussing with her going to a registered breeder. The puppy came with it's first vaccination but not microchipped, which I informed her was illegal in NSW. She told me that working dogs in NSW are exempt from being microchipped but upon research, I've read the following:

Under the Companion Animals Act, dogs that meet the definition of a 'working dog' are exempt from microchipping and registering when:

• the working dog resides on land defined and rated as farmland under the Local Government Act 1993, or
  • the working dog is kept in the Western Division of NSW, being not within a local government area.

All other working dogs MUST be microchipped and registered. However, a nil dollar (free) registration fee applies.

As the dog has been sold as a pet to a non-farm, the law is clear that the puppy should've been microchipped. What I'd like to know is about the price. Does the last sentence mean that her puppy's 'breeder' could've had him microchipped for free?

The other thing, my friend is not planning on having him chipped until he's desexed at 6 months old because she's been told that the microchip isn't activated until the council rego gets paid. :confused:

I don't know who's giving her this information, but I told her that if her puppy gets lost between 8 weeks and 6 months, if the microchips aren't 'activated', how are the owners located? I do know that she's getting her info from a person who hates registered breeders because my friend said that she needs to take her cross breed to agility to show up all those purebred dog snobs. :mad

I'm feeling very annoyed with her because she's using her dog as a competition with Zeus -- I'm doing agility with him, so she's trying to build him agility jumps and the likes and he's only 12 weeks. I had to tell her about growth plates and waiting until at least 12 months before getting him jumping. It's sounding a lot like anything Zeus can do, my pup can do better at the moment -- not to mention that she's stolen my favourite dog name (which I as planning for my dog) for her puppy. :mad

Council officer here.

She has to chip the dog NOW. She can't wait until six months. She is breaking the law and if she is caught she will get a $165 fine.

If the dog is a working dog, the chip isn't free but the lifetime registration that has to be done at six months is.

If she won't chip the dog, call your local Council and tell them and they'll go out there and make her do it.

The pup needs to be chipped and registered before six months of age, but there is no registration fee. The chip is active when it is injected. Some vets recommend doing it all at once at six months, chip, desex and rego, as the registration fee is considerably less once the desexing is done. This then encourages people to get it done.

If the dog will be working, it will be free to register with council. If it's a pet, the fee should be paid.

Oh, but the full datatbase might not be updated until rego. But most details are done at the time of chipping. In NSW anyway.

Every pup in NSW has to be chipped at time of sale or at 12 weeks which ever comes sooner.

Working dogs need to be chipped but not registered.Working breed dogs dont get automatic exemption from being registered

they have to actually be working.

In this case the pup is a pet should have been chip by the person who bred it before it changed hands - assuming there were more in the litter which were not chipped this is a fairly hefty fine .

Her pup has to be chipped and registered now or she is in breach of the law and if caught will be fined for owning a dog which is not chipped and not registered once its past 12 weeks old.

This whole thing really ticks me off as there are hundreds of working breed dogs dumped in pounds with no chips and it makes every body think that bringing in harder tougher laws for us [registered breeders who do it all according to the law] will solve the problem these breeders create when they chip and then no one bothers to police the laws we have.

I'll be having my first working kelpie litter in a few months and have done a heap of research on it. It clearly states that I have to have my puppies chipped as I do not live on farmland, but due to the fact that my dogs are working dogs and do actively work I can reg for free any dogs I keep and as I'm only selling my dogs as workers whoever buys them can reg them for free as well. My friend however is living in farmland zone only 20ks away and he didn't have to have his pups chipped before sale. I like the idea of chipping working dogs, as tattoos can be impossible to read.

You cant register them for free the chip details are on the registry and you dont register the dogs .Its not that you register them for free you just dont register them.

Living on farmland doesnt give you an exemption from chipping your pups - no matter where you live no matter what you do with them every single dog in NSW has to be chipped - every single puppy anyone breeds has to be chipped at point of sale or at 12 weeks.

Working breed dogs which are working dont need to be registered.

I'm getting a WKC reg pup soon, breeder is on a farm and works his dogs, sells most as workers. The breeder said the pup won't be microchipped so I will have to get that done myself when I get the pup home. This was the case with Kaos's breeder as well (also WKC and on a farm, works her dogs and sells most as workers)

And again they break the law and its why they are now bringing in laws which will make it harder for all of us.

If that is the case, it appears the laws are confusing or not well understood by those with and those who breed working dogs, as I know others who have gotten working breed pups who were not microchipped. I will just get my pup done at the next vaccination.

You cant register them for free the chip details are on the registry and you dont register the dogs .Its not that you register them for free you just dont register them.

Living on farmland doesnt give you an exemption from chipping your pups - no matter where you live no matter what you do with them every single dog in NSW has to be chipped - every single puppy anyone breeds has to be chipped at point of sale or at 12 weeks.

I was told by the council that if the dogs live on zoned farmland or out on stations the pups don't have to be chipped. As I don't fall into that catergory I had to chip my pups. Also I register any dogs I keep but it costs me nothing to do so as they work.

Edited by mixeduppup

Delta came off a working sheep station and wasn't chipped. The breeder gave me the option of chipping her myself or him chipping her and adding $100 to the price. Needless to say I got her chipped myself LOL

Many working dog people are under the impression that the microchip is not necessary, however, many of them chip regardless to avoid potentially losing a great dog.

Perhaps better education is needed to clear up the confusion? An information flyer at working trials might be the place to start? Then word may pass around from there.

I was told by the council that if the dogs live on zoned farmland or out on stations the pups don't have to be chipped. As I don't fall into that catergory I had to chip my pups. Also I register any dogs I keep but it costs me nothing to do so as they work.

Sorry MUP you're right - thank you .I learned today that MY council dont know the laws either.

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/Documents/information/Dogs_in_Rural_Communities_-_Brochure.pdf

Sorry MUP you're right - thank you .I learned today that MY council dont know the laws either.

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/DLG/Documents/information/Dogs_in_Rural_Communities_-_Brochure.pdf

Don't worry, I was checking my council's website to make sure I was told the right thing as well. :laugh:

Not very acceptable really is it?

I don't agree with it. I see way too many working dogs in the pound unidentified. I personally wouldn't want dogs that i bred sitting in a pound. I guess many of the farmers I know don't really care where their dogs end up, once they leave their land that's it for them. I also think chipping is a good idea as working dogs are worth a lot and anyone can take your dog and say it's theirs or if it's in the pound and no chip and you don't see it, there it goes. Chipping is fantastic.

Thanks for all your responses guys -- seems like there's general confusion all around this topic. :o

My friend will be getting her pup chipped once the Easter holidays are over -- I managed to convince her of this. I just wish she'd listened to me about finding a reputable breeder instead of bringing home a puppy who was covered in fleas and red dirt. :(

Another question regarding chipping: if it's mandatory in NSW, why isn't there some legality regarding vets and making sure the pups are chipped? Why don't they have the power to chip all puppies who come in for their first vaccination regardless of what the owners say? Surely that would help decrease the amount of un-chipped dogs.

Thanks for all your responses guys -- seems like there's general confusion all around this topic. :o

My friend will be getting her pup chipped once the Easter holidays are over -- I managed to convince her of this. I just wish she'd listened to me about finding a reputable breeder instead of bringing home a puppy who was covered in fleas and red dirt. :(

Another question regarding chipping: if it's mandatory in NSW, why isn't there some legality regarding vets and making sure the pups are chipped? Why don't they have the power to chip all puppies who come in for their first vaccination regardless of what the owners say? Surely that would help decrease the amount of un-chipped dogs.

Some owners can't afford it at time of first vax, the vets highly recommend it but they can't force someone to do it.

Why should Vets police laws? They are not Law makers or enforcers, Many people don't bother to vaccinate who are you going to get to police the MC then? Groomers? Boarding Kennels? Local and state Laws need to be policed by those set up to do so but they don't so the system is a fail.