Grain Free Dry Food

Hi Dollers

I was wondering if some members would be able to tell me the grain free dry dog foods available here in Oz and if they are any good. Have a few grooming clients with really itchy skin and some with cronic ear problems and would like them to try a grain free diet to see if all the stories on the net are true.

Thanx in advance

We've been using Earthborn Hollistic, which is a Petstock exclusive.

I don't normally like using kibbles but this one is very good.

She doesn't smell like she did on grainy food, and I find it very economical.

Only two of their range is grain free.

Also on the cheaper end of the scale available in woolies is the VIP grain free.

Haven't tried it myself as it's not the right nutrient profile for my sports dog.

Heard good things about it.

Then there's taste of the wild, I know of a few in SA that feed it but I don't think it can be bought in shops.

I think it has to be ordered in. We miss out on a few brands here in SA :(

We are huge fans of EBH here. My guys love it & do very well on it . We use the grain free one. One of my guys had a food intolerance issue & within 24 hours of changing over to the spoken food the difference in my dog's appearence was amazing.

No more stale smell. 48 hours, coat had started to improve. 6 months on we are so much improved. Dogs look great. Very happy :)

Edited by BC Crazy

There are several grain free available - if you do a search here you will find lots of information. Taste of the Wild also has a grain free but is not available in shops - only online. It is very good.

VIP have bought out a grain free that is available at the supermarket and it is getting good feedback.

Hi Dollers

I was wondering if some members would be able to tell me the grain free dry dog foods available here in Oz and if they are any good. Have a few grooming clients with really itchy skin and some with cronic ear problems and would like them to try a grain free diet to see if all the stories on the net are true.

Thanx in advance

There's heaps in Australia but wouldn't they be better seeing a vet and then a Dermatologist rather than mucking around with something that may not even have anything to do why the dog is itchy.

Thank you for all for your comments. Greatly appreciated. I am a dog groomer and my clients have gone to the vet greatdaneaustralia. We have used so many differant shampoos,pills and ointments, this will be just another chapter in trying out something . It just may work.

Edited by kirada1

We've been using Earthborn Hollistic, which is a Petstock exclusive.

I don't normally like using kibbles but this one is very good.

She doesn't smell like she did on grainy food, and I find it very economical.

Only two of their range is grain free.

Also on the cheaper end of the scale available in woolies is the VIP grain free.

Haven't tried it myself as it's not the right nutrient profile for my sports dog.

Heard good things about it.

Then there's taste of the wild, I know of a few in SA that feed it but I don't think it can be bought in shops.

I think it has to be ordered in. We miss out on a few brands here in SA :(

Earthborn Holistic isn't exclusive to Petstock. Is distributed in Australia by same company as Pro Pac.

I must admit the results going from an Holistic grain dry food to a premium grain free blew me away. If someone had of told me the speed & the enormity of the improvement that my guys showed, I would

never of believed them.

Only word of caution I would add is to watch the protein levels in the grain free for older dogs.

Some of the levels are very high.

It may be that even gluten free would assist with ear/skin issues - that widens the foods available.

Yes Haredown Wippets very good point. I did notice that some brands of grain free with protein levels up around 40+ % :eek: which is very high. First thing I always look for

when reading the ingredient listing as I certainly don't need my 2 Border Collies full to the eye balls with protein. I like to stick around the low 20's if I can.

I also suggest looking trying a variety of protein sources as well as grain free.

I love both the Holistic Select Sardine and Anchovy variety and the grain-free Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. My old groomer said that he has noticed significant improvements in many of his client's dogs switching to a fish based food (with or without grains) over a beef/lamb/chicken formula.My little Aussie certainly seems to scratch less on a fish based formulation, but grains don't appear to make a big difference.

Might not work for all, but if you are looking for things to try it may be worth a go. :-)

Thank you for all for your comments. Greatly appreciated. I am a dog groomer and my clients have gone to the vet greatdaneaustralia. We have used so many differant shampoos,pills and ointments, this will be just another chapter in trying out something . It just may work.

If the dog is food allergic then a proper food elimination trial needs to be done. Mucking around with changing brands of food can actually end up being detrimental and may limit what food can be given should they eventually need to do a food trial.

Personally I would rather go with a raw diet, which can still be grain free.

Hi Dollers

Thanx in advance

Happy to send you out some samples of the new Artemis Osopure Grain Free and the SOS single source protein for your clients to try, both have moderate levels of protein and fat, pm me for more details.