Breeder Unhappy With My Questions

ziggyboy

Well, I think you have got the point by now about asking for discounts or doing things the cheap way!!

It seems you have missed one big research resource, have you spoken to your girlfriend about buying a puppy (as in the mechanics of it and what a pup will need growing up etc)?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that breeders keep in mind that everyone is different and that haggling is only an indication someone might not be able to afford a dog or that they might not value it appropriately. My cousin is a case in point. He had a deprived childhood and has been looking after himself since he was 16. Consequently, he both likes to have the best things and likes to get them for a good price. His approach to purchasing anything is to do a lot of research to identify the thing he wants and workout how to get it for the pice he wants. It's the way he approached the purchase of a new bicycle ( his main hobby) and arrangements for his daughter's wedding. Their dog was no different.

His current dog is a ridgeless ridgeback. She is an extemely pretty dog with a great temperament from the breeder he decided was the best, but she doesn't have a ridge so she came at a discount. He didn't consider the ridge necessary since they only wanted a pet, so he is happy. The dog has a great life; she is part of their family her only problems are the cats who bully her shamelessly.

Edited by emgem

Last time I bought a puppy, the breeder told me what the price was upfront. Perhaps to head off awkward topics like this more breeders should actually state the amount and discuss travel arrangements.

Next time I get a puppy I figure I'll be up for around $2000-2500, sans travel. I figured the price of a puppy will have at least doubled since I last got one.

I just hope that breeders keep in mind that everyone is different and that haggling is only an indication someone might not be able to afford a dog or that they might not value it appropriately. My cousin is a case in point. He had a deprived childhood and has been looking after himself since he was 16. Consequently, he both likes to have the best things and likes to get them for a good price. His approach to purchasing anything is to do a lot of research to identify the thing he wants and workout how to get it for the pice he wants. It's the way he approached the purchase of a new bicycle ( his main hobby) and arrangements for his daughter's wedding. Their dog was no different.

His current dog is a ridgeless ridgeback. She is an extemely pretty dog with a great temperament from the breeder he decided was the best, but she doesn't have a ridge so she came at a discount. He didn't consider the ridge necessary since they only wanted a pet, so he is happy. The dog has a great life; she is part of their family her only problems are the cats who bully her shamelessly.

I think my objection is that haggling for a live animal seems quite distasteful, at least, it does to me. And certainly, if you walked into a pet shop and offered less than the asking price you'd probably be told no.

I kept every receipt for dog related stuff for a year for my two dogs. Turns out I spend about $5000 per year on them, and I certainly don't buy a lot of stuff for them, and they don't have any major health issues either.

The purchase price is like pocket change compared to what you'll spend on a dog in the 15 or so years it will live.

To put those costs into perspective too ... I'm given a $10 voucher for every $500 I spend in Pet Barn. I get those vouchers nearly every 2 to 3 weeks! :eek:

What do you spend it on? I probably spend about $20 pw on dog food for 5 dogs. I might be a little bit more but not much. I'm curious as to how dogs can cost so much.

Same, my dogs don't cost much at all.

I understand Haggling is normal and part of everyday life for some countries and cultures. But buying a dog here is not the same as buying fruit or vegies in some market.

I don't agree with haggling over the price of a dog. If you don't like the price of the puppy from a particular breeder or think it is too high, nothing is stopping you from NOT buying from that breeder. I know in my breed the price can vary greatly from breeder to breeder as my breed loves to have "rare" colours and there are those who breed for colour rather than quality and of course charge unsuspecting new pet owners accordingly. I get it pays to enquire around and do your research before buying a dog from a breeder, based on inside knowledge from my own breed (as a breeder).

I have five dogs currently here and believe me, I will shop around for a good price for vet meds such as worming/tick preparations - even with the online vet stores, there are variances and I will shop for my meds from a number of places - after all the meds are all the same it is just the RRP that is different. If I can save a dollar here it is put in somewhere else. I feed premium food (Edit: Black Hawk) and one outlet sells it for more than what I can have it delivered for. Again a saving, but if I cannot get it delivered by my normal person or I was slack and did not order it in time, then I will go to the outlet.

Same with vets.. If all I am after is a vaccination and all vaccinations are equal, if one vet is charging a fraction of a price to another vet, guess where I will go. On the other hand, if as in the case of one of my dogs needing major surgery, I will go with the best vet, not necessarily the cheapest.

As for selling to a person with a 6 figure salary.. I would rather give a dog away to someone that I know will take good care of it than sell it to someone who thinks money will buy everything and spends it on high rolling activities and neglects the dog.

Edited to correct dog food fed.

Edited by Mystiqview

Best thing to do is give them a call, you might feel awkward but your both people and there are dodgy breeders and dodgy people out there. Talk it out and discuss how to figure out the best way to deal with it, most breeders will be more than happy to chat.

Sensible.

I think my objection is that haggling for a live animal seems quite distasteful, at least, it does to me. And certainly, if you walked into a pet shop and offered less than the asking price you'd probably be told no.

That's not accurate either. I haggled for Zeus at the pet shop and got him for a hugely discounted price. Being a 'designer dog' his original tag was $1500, but he was already reduced due to the fact he was approaching 12 weeks (over the hill in the pet shop world) to $900. I got him for $750 and even had them throw in his second puppy vaccine. I didn't exactly haggle, I'd commented to my mum that if he was around the $700 mark I'd buy him and the shop assistant who was eavesdropping, jumped in and said she'd call her boss and see what she could do about the price.

A dog from a breeder is a completely different bucket of fish though. Pet shops need their 'stock' gone so they can get in new, younger puppies whereas a breeder will more than likely keep the puppy until the right home is found.

Personally though, as a puppy buyer only, I'd never ask for a discount. If I've found the right breeder, the right litter and the right puppy, there is no price I wouldn't pay. As long as I'm happy with all my choices and decisions, that's all that matters -- not something like a puppy being discounted because I have to vaccinate. Vaccinations are a part of owning a dog and if you don't want to pay for a second puppy one, how are you going to cope with medical bills for its whole life?

As for the 6 figure salary ... My brother's the same but is a complete tightwad and Scrooge. Not to mention that about 40% of that is taken in tax.

That's not accurate either. I haggled for Zeus at the pet shop and got him for a hugely discounted price. Being a 'designer dog' his original tag was $1500, but he was already reduced due to the fact he was approaching 12 weeks (over the hill in the pet shop world) to $900. I got him for $750 and even had them throw in his second puppy vaccine. I didn't exactly haggle, I'd commented to my mum that if he was around the $700 mark I'd buy him and the shop assistant who was eavesdropping, jumped in and said she'd call her boss and see what she could do about the price.

A dog from a breeder is a completely different bucket of fish though. Pet shops need their 'stock' gone so they can get in new, younger puppies whereas a breeder will more than likely keep the puppy until the right home is found.

Personally though, as a puppy buyer only, I'd never ask for a discount. If I've found the right breeder, the right litter and the right puppy, there is no price I wouldn't pay. As long as I'm happy with all my choices and decisions, that's all that matters -- not something like a puppy being discounted because I have to vaccinate. Vaccinations are a part of owning a dog and if you don't want to pay for a second puppy one, how are you going to cope with medical bills for its whole life?

As for the 6 figure salary ... My brother's the same but is a complete tightwad and Scrooge. Not to mention that about 40% of that is taken in tax.

Hence the word 'probably'. Hedging my bets a little on account of how pet shops and I don't get along. ;)

I agree, the price of the puppy I don't worry about at all. I've been offered dogs for free (that's how I got Grumpy, though Mini I did 'PICK ME!' at Merijigs and luckily she said yes). It's the home a good breeder is concerned about.

Last time I bought a puppy, the breeder told me what the price was upfront. Perhaps to head off awkward topics like this more breeders should actually state the amount and discuss travel arrangements.

Next time I get a puppy I figure I'll be up for around $2000-2500, sans travel. I figured the price of a puppy will have at least doubled since I last got one.

This topic isn;t about the breeder not telling the puppy buyer the price of a pup, it is about the buyer wanting money off for something the breeder was doing without charging them extra for!

This topic isn;t about the breeder not telling the puppy buyer the price of a pup, it is about the buyer wanting money off for something the breeder was doing without charging them extra for!

Thank you for informing me of the topic. However, my post is quite relevant given a number of people have already discussed this point (you may also wish to tell them off). You may also wish to note my posts discussing the haggling aspect of the topic.

It's easy enough to find out an average cost of any breed, even the rarer ones. When I was looking for Kirah, I noted that the average price of Aussie Terriers is between $700 to $850 so if I saw a litter being advertised for over $1000, I'd be wondering why.

In regards to the OP asking for money off the pup for being vaccinated, it just seems weird. By having the pup vaccinated at no extra charge, the breeder is doing the buyer a favour. It almost reads as though the OP is of the opinion that puppies start at say $2000 and their prices decrease for everything they have done (eg microchip minus $50, 1st vaccine minus $100).

In short, I think the best answer to this topic is that you shouldn't care what you pay for the puppy, as long as you're happy with the breeder and the choices you make.

I understand that there are people who want to know down to the last cent what they are spending and why. This can be a good thing, but it can also be taken to the extreme when the price comes before value and the desire to "get the better of the seller" overtakes natural commercial dealings. Not everyone is out to diddle you, Ziggy, and it might be an idea to examine why you feel it is necessary to take research to the, what does seem, extreme. :)

I think by now, if he has read carefully every post, the OP would have the message. :)

There are 5 pages of people mostly agreeing about the 'haggling' thing, so.. moving on.

What I always find weird is the 'what would a breeder think of this' etc. Breeders are just people - approach them as you would approach a person you don't know. The way they respond to anything you ask is going to vary in the same way that you ask anything of ANY PERSON. Some people are terrible at reading and conveying emotion or humour in writing, some come across as rude and abrasive in email, some people hate the phone, some like to chat and keep in contact a lot, others want to keep communication to a bare minimum.

So whatever discussions anyone has with a breeder will be partly to do with the fact that they're talking about dogs, but underscoring that is the fact that they're a person you don't know. Some people will think a particular line of questioning is fine, others will think it's rude/unnecessary/unnerving - that's not because they're a breeder, it's because they're a person.

I have only once bought from a breeder and I just went out to view the pup when she was 4 weeks old, bought her on the spot and waited another 4 weeks to bring her home - so none of the questions that seem to worry people so much even occurred to me LOL.

However, I think it arises here (and let's face it thousands more people are buying dogs than those who appear and ask questions on DOL :laugh: ) because people have a platform to talk about what they are experiencing and also because they may have had difficulty finding and buying the breed of their choice and what advice, wondering where they may have "gone wrong" and "what are breeders looking for".

But you are absolutely right: breeders are just people and there will be good and bad, smart and silly, caring and non-caring in the group as in the usual community.

If the general tone of successive emails was cost focussed and specifically cost reduction focussed, I'd probably be concerned too. I'd be wondering what other corners you were going to cut financially with the puppy once it got to you.

I had the same impression from reading the OP's first post. Wanting to find out the cost of the pup and researching average prices asked for pups of that breed is one thing, but it sounded like the majority of contact with the breeder seemed to do with $$$$$ - "who does the best price for transport" (the OP said themselves they'd asked "a lot" of questions about transport costs), "could you drive the pup to the airport to save costs", "can I have a discount now that I can take the pup earlier than I originally planned and I'll have to pay for the 2nd vaccination" and so on. It's not really surprising the breeder expressed some concern about the situation and wanted to clarify some things with the OP.

Edited by spikey

You are interested in knowing about costs. So the breeder sends you an email outlining how much a puppy costs to maintain. I don't see what your gripe is. Be thankful you've chosen a breeder that cares this much about what happens to her dogs. Id be more worried about a breeder that didnt question you on anything. If theyre all about "customer service" and the financial side of thingdand barely any discussion on the quality of life you can provide for their puppy, i'd have alarm bells ringing in my head.

Just wondering if you've contacted the breeder and sorted things out yet? I hope you can come to an understanding and smooth over any ruffled feathers that might have arisen. Please let us know how you go and good luck in finding your perfect puppy.