Looking For Dog Food Without...

Lamb, fish, pork or chicken...

This maybe an impossibe quest, but....

Vulcan is an allergy dog with strong reactions to lamb and fish of any type and a mild reaction to pork. He is now 3 and a half and has been fed a chicken based diet for most of his life. Hes currently fed Nutro chicken and rice formula (for both breakky and dinner every day) and also gets beef and kangaroo bones. He doesnt react to beef kangaroo or chicken. I fed him Vets all Natural with chicken mince for awhile untill he started reacting - I suspect some lamb ended up in the chicken mince I was buying - so dont trust mince anymore.

Although hes in excellent condition I'd like to vary his diet so he isnt getting chicken all the time... but am not having much luck finding a commercial food without lamb fish pork or chicken in the ingredients. Theres always pork meal lamb or some sort of fish meal or oil.

So... I thought id tap into all of your expertise hoping between you may know of something suitable we could try.

Apologies for bad grammar and spellling...this is the first time ive tried to post on the tablet..its proving trickier than expected.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought of making up food yourself ..a raw diet ? That way YOU control exactly what's in it , and it can be totally roo or beef or rabbit or goat ..... with some veg , egg , etc ....

Does it sound do-able ? It may be simpler than chasing dry food ...

Is chicken fat a problem? Because that is a minor ingredient in many otherwise chicken free foods.

Canidae Pure Sky has turkey and duck as its main ingredients, but it does have chicken fat.

Just checked and chicken fat is the 6th listed ingredient, so it wouldn't be much if he doesn't have a problem with chicken and you are just avoiding it for variety's sake.

Edited by Diva

Hi Pers I llive in a coastal town and good quality affordable raw is hard to come by. I have not been able to find a butcher that debones its own meat so cant get beef bones. This would be my preferred option but it hasnt proved viable to date.

Id like to avoid any chicken product of possible to give his system a break from it. Thanks heaps for the suggestion Diva!

Natural balance seems to have a kangaroo based formula with duck. I remember previous duck trials have been inconclusive. ? Itchy but not excessivly so and not tested long enough so could have been environmental. Thanks for idea DD il try and get a sample.

RASACAL we do get prime down here but havent seen that one maybe theyll get some in for me... that woukd be a good option..Cheers!

Again sorry for crayy spellling and grammar posting from the tablet is not great

It doesn't have to be on the bone, many people seem to feed an inordinate amount of bone, more than is needed. Beef heart provides a big chunk of meat they need to work at, tongue too. I pick up whole beef rumps when I see them cheap. Rabbit if you know any shooters or ferreters would provide plenty of edible bone. I get duck frames, and turkey some times.

Ive never seen beef heart or tounge around here and dont know any rabbit hunters or ferreters. The butchers around here just dont seem to get whole beef or kangaroo carcasses in and ive asked. We do get plenty or lamb everything heart kindneys meat bones...but that is not suitable. He has thrown up turkey evreytime ive fed it to him and have never come across duck carcasses.

We do buy beef blade steak with bone in when available. We make curry from the meat and give him the bone...but its not reliable and we often go a month or more when its not on the shelves. Lamb fish and chicken are the most reliable food souces but for the resons already mentioned i am wanting to avoid them. Id really like to find a reliable non chicken food source to give his system a break from the chicken for awhile. With commercial food I can get it delivered to us even if the supplier is not local....

As mentioned before I'd love to feed raw but given where we live and with his intolerances... it just doesnt work

Thats an option Pers but its 1.5 hrs away so wont be doung that very often. He is in wonderful condition..white teeth, gleaming coat, plenty of energy.. I just worry that one day he might become intolerant to chicken because his system has been saturated with it for so long..so always on the lookout for something that I could use for a few months that woukd give his system a break. Perhaps I'm being irational and it doesnt matter if he lives his whole live with chicken as his main food source?..

I have found a kibble that has none of the foods you are avoiding, but the online supplier only seems to deliver to Melb.

Natural Balance Super Premium 'Delicate'. Australian made, includes roo, duck and sorghum. No idea what it is like,

The other one I thought of is the Ziwipeak Venison, but it is so very expensive I can't see it being viable for a big dog.

I agree Perse. I'd find a way to stock up on raw. A new energy efficient small chest freezer and a good supplier and you're away. Depending on how many dogs you have its one trip once a month to each six weeks to stock up. And you'll save a fortune in the long run.

I have a terrier mix foster here with a shocking coat and ears that are slowly getting better. And I'm keeping him essentially on bones, Chicken necks and wings, protein (Yellowgirls formula) and veg. I'm also making sure he's really well hydrated by putting some moisture in his dinner as well. I can't believe how rapidly his coat is improving and I'm sure diet has a lot to do with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. smile.gif