5 Months Old Puppy Dies During Simple Surgery

Pockets

This makes me cry. Sending a pup, of any age, in for surgery is scary enough without this happening. And the vet seems so blasé about it :eek:

Not that it's the same, but maybe go through Buddy's thread, who died through groomers negligence and see if you can get any tips on what and who to persue. As this was negligence too, and they admitted it (were they are least apologetic, or upset??)

:cry:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm surprised the nurse admitted doing that. I wonder if she'd repeat it, she might deny it next time. Very sad, we're always warned operations carry risks, and they are expensive, but I would have thought one of the reasons they're so costly is because of the skill ane care required to carry them out, that's one of the things you pay for and if nurse left the dog unattended then it would seem the pup wasn't getting the care and attention the owners were being charged for. I wonder why the vet let that happen.

I'm surprised the nurse admitted doing that. I wonder if she'd repeat it, she might deny it next time. Very sad, we're always warned operations carry risks, and they are expensive, but I would have thought one of the reasons they're so costly is because of the skill ane care required to carry them out, that's one of the things you pay for and if nurse left the dog unattended then it would seem the pup wasn't getting the care and attention the owners were being charged for. I wonder why the vet let that happen.

Just out of interest, since the vet quoted for a necropsy ... please tell me they didn't dare make the owners pay any bill for the surgery etc?

Hi Minimax, no the original cost of the surgery was reimbursed and credited back to the owner.

We will be gathering facts and going through the relevant board.

Like is said, we are not after any financial gain, but hopefully by pursuing this, it really drives it home that this was negligent and should never have happened, it won't bring Harley back, but it could save the life of anothet

The window for autopsy has closed, as he was stored in the freezer, the surgery happened yesterday early arvo, so the window of opportunity for autopsy was not long. I was even considering having his body moved and having a different vet clinic perform the autopsy, an impartial party, as I wouldn't trust this vet clinic

Would I be right in saying they have breached Standards of Veterinary Practices, Section 1.2 (L) GENERAL PRACTICE "Have a trained assistant present during sterile procedures for the purposes of anaesthetic monitoring and to assist in maintaining sterality"

The autopsy I believe is irrelevant, as the fact I am persuing, is that the puppy was left unmonitored for at least a few minutes whilst under a GA

Would I be right in saying they have breached Standards of Veterinary Practices, Section 1.2 (L) GENERAL PRACTICE "Have a trained assistant present during sterile procedures for the purposes of anaesthetic monitoring and to assist in maintaining sterality"

The autopsy I believe is irrelevant, as the fact I am persuing, is that the puppy was left unmonitored for at least a few minutes whilst under a GA

That would be it, I assume. However, I will also assume a certain amount of arse covering will be going on. I think they will deny saying such a thing.

Thanks Sheridan, I have sent them an email this morning, just asking if the nurse leaving and an animal dieing under anaesthetic, if this is normal and does it happen often...just a nice sort of email, I obviously want that they stuffed up in writing...

But the nurse admitted to the owner over the phone what happened, and in a Stat Dec by the owner, this would certainly be something

I would suggest complaining to the practice owner/manager, and advising that you will be complaining to the Veterinary Registration Board in your state. NOT the AVA. Or, go and speak to the practice manager.

I once had something similar happen, complained to the owner of the surgery, and the vet was dismissed. Good outcome, but didn't bring the dog back. I was also credited the cost

Edited by Jed

I will be pursuing this further, as I personally feel it was negligence.

We asked about an autopsy, but the vet said it would cost $550, after discussing it with the owners, we agreed it wouldn't bring "Harley" back, and he was a healthy and fit dog, regardless of what caused him to go downhill, it was the negligence of the vet nurse who left the puppy during surgery, leaving no one to monitor the dog.

I have offered the owners Harley's brother, who I kept back to show etc, I have offered him at no cost to them at all, in hope that it will ease some of the pain they feel :( We are visiting with Tig this Thursday, which they are looking forward to.

I agree they are entitled to compensation, they paid $1800 for Harley, plus the cost to raise him etc. I personally wouldn't expect any financial gain for raising the litter etc. even if it didn't eventuate, I feel the vet clinic needs to know that this is not ok, they can't get away with this and they need be vigilant and provide a high standard of care when looking after people's pets.

Whether its surgery for a hip replacement, open heart surgery or teeth cleaning, an anaesthetic is an anaesthetic and every dog needs monitoring! They always say how risky it is with Anaesthetic, yet they allow this to happen :(

That is very kind of you.

Although it wouldn't bring Harley back, I'd suggest getting an autopsy anyway and most certainly would not get the vet who performed the surgery to do it as it is a conflict of interest.

Totally agree - if you autopsy collect him and take him to another vet!

Although it wouldn't bring Harley back, I'd suggest getting an autopsy anyway and most certainly would not get the vet who performed the surgery to do it as it is a conflict of interest.

Totally agree - if you autopsy collect him and take him to another vet!

The vet said last night the window of opportunity for completing an autopsy was closing as he was being stored in the freezer etc..

I just wanted to say how sorry i am ,and what a kind breeder you are offering another pup.

I wouldn't let it go either.

Tig is Harley's full litter brother and looks like Harley I have always thought, if I can help to take away some of the pain and grief that they are feeling right now by offering for them to take Tig, its the least I can do. Its a wonderful home and they are truly lovely people.

Unfortunately this couple a few months before getting Harley, suffered the loss of a baby..so Harleys loss has been especially hard as he was like their baby :(