Choosing The Right Breed

JozMan

So I'm starting up a dog walking and pet sitting business, I'd love to have a companion to come on all the walks and follow me around all day on the walks and sit with me in the van. So it obviously has to be a dog than can go for long walks, gets on well with other dogs . So obviously I've got to pick the right breed, I would love a Rough Collie, they're know for fitting in well with other dogs and is a very good long walking dog. Problem is in the warmer months its thick coat may cause it some issues because of the heat which of course would be a big issue.

I'm just curious to know what breeds you guys would would be the right breed for me?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to put a downer on your idea, but if you are walking dogs for clients or pet sitting, you need to be concentrating on those dogs and not having one of your own along.

Apart from the fact that some of the clients you work for probably won't appreciate your dog coming along with you, and/or they may have dogs/cats/other animals who don't take kindly to strange dogs coming into their homes.

You need to think of your clients' wishes first. In the course of getting to know clients and their animals, you may meet some dogs who would love to have a play or walk with yours, but until that relationship is established, it is not a good idea.

Sorry to put a downer on your idea, but if you are walking dogs for clients or pet sitting, you need to be concentrating on those dogs and not having one of your own along.

Apart from the fact that some of the clients you work for probably won't appreciate your dog coming along with you, and/or they may have dogs/cats/other animals who don't take kindly to strange dogs coming into their homes.

You need to think of your clients' wishes first. In the course of getting to know clients and their animals, you may meet some dogs who would love to have a play or walk with yours, but until that relationship is established, it is not a good idea.

+1

I have a dog walker, and I wouldn't be to comfortable if she had her own dog along for the ride instead of having all her attention on my dogs. Especially if it was a puppy, as you're talking about getting a new dog so I'm assuming it would be a young dog.

I'd get the business established first, then see how you go. Hopefully you'll have your hands full with other peoples dogs anyway.

+ 2

I think you would need to only walk client dogs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get a breed of your own, just that you should concentrate on walking client dogs on each walk. If I was a client, I would ask what experience you have with dogs as I would look for someone who is really aware of everything around them.

Is this the initial business that you want to lead to owning a kennel?

+3

The issue for many clients wouldn't be how your dog got on with theirs but how well their dogs got on with yours. Many dogs don't welcome others into their sphere.

Did you know that Collies also come in a Smooth (short coated) version?

+3

The issue for many clients wouldn't be how your dog got on with theirs but how well their dogs got on with yours. Many dogs don't welcome others into their sphere.

Did you know that Collies also come in a Smooth (short coated) version?

I did know that but as growing up as a kid watching Lassie you can't help but love that longer hair.

I agree with others I would be worried you would be more concerned about your own dog than mine.

i have 2 rough collies they cope fine in summer, I do keep them indoors a lot, mine love water so they are often found swimming in their water bowls and clam pool. Grooming is not that bad I brush them each week for about 40 mins and send them to a dog groomer every 6-8 weeks which helps. They fit in we'll with my lifestyle and they are such sweet hearts

Smooth loses more fur than roughshod do

Our local dog walker is often at the off leash park with a few dogs, whose owners everyone knows as well. She never brings her own dogs with her when she's got her clients' animals with her and they are the soul focus of her attention. She's a lovely woman who I'd not hesitate to leave my dogs with if the need ever arose. All the dogs love her and bound up to her when they see her in the park!! :thumbsup:

Like others have said your pet dog & then your business are to different issues.

As a dog walker you are employed to offer a service very particular to each clients needs,wants & local laws .

You may have times where you can walk your dog at the same time but there are times when you cant & leaving your dog in a car whilst doing this task isn't wise & not a practical thing .

Although no way would i want my dog walker to let my dogs offleash :eek: she would want amazing insurance to cover her & hoe like hell those dogs come back & not cause issues

I would wait - the beauty of starting a dog walking and minding business is that once it is all set up and you have all your insurances in place, you will be able to meet a wide variety of breeds and get to spend quality time with them. I can't think of a better way to really see which breeds "suit" you best in terms of temperament, looks, activity levels, grooming requirements etc.

I agree with everyone else that I would want you to concentrate on walking my dogs, and my dogs only if I was paying for your service. I hope it goes well for you we could do with a professional service like this near us. A couple I have called don't get back to me when I start asking about insurances or business registration.

I would wait - the beauty of starting a dog walking and minding business is that once it is all set up and you have all your insurances in place, you will be able to meet a wide variety of breeds and get to spend quality time with them. I can't think of a better way to really see which breeds "suit" you best in terms of temperament, looks, activity levels, grooming requirements etc.

I agree with everyone else that I would want you to concentrate on walking my dogs, and my dogs only if I was paying for your service. I hope it goes well for you we could do with a professional service like this near us. A couple I have called don't get back to me when I start asking about insurances or business registration.

I'll be fully insured, have a police check and have a certificate in Pet first aide. :)

Edited by JozMan

That's fantastic, all the best with it Jozman. Would love to hear updates on the business and also on whether walking lots of different breeds changes your breed of choice. :)

Thanks man, will keep you all updated. I look forward to experiencing a lot of different breeds and seeing what they are all like.

Joz is one determined young man and good on him for it.

Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

At one time i was walking about 3 families dogs.

All had 3 dogs each, so taking one of mine was not a good idea, bear in mind not everyone's dogs walk well onlead and its not easy :laugh:

I really enjoyed it, in fact it made me fall for Rottie's, as i had always been a bit wary of them till i started to walk a friends 2 while he had surgery, they are now on my list of breeds i would like to own, so its a good way of sussing out a breed for you.

Give yourself plenty of time at each job, it takes a while to get in, get slobbered on and get them sorted when you get back, and travelling inbetween too.

The other thing is in summer you may not get much done during the really hot part of the day ,depending on the breeds, and may end up working at either end of the day more.

Off topic, but re your post, juice. My real introduction to dogs was when I became a volunteer dog walker at a small pound. I started off terrified, having never had anything to do in my entire life with big dogs and never been within spitting distance of a Rottie. They are definitely one my list of must have. In fact my fantasy is when I am a little old[er] lady and all my teeny weenies have gone to god, I will visit Grumpette and have her select two Rotties to wobble around the neighbourhood with me and be my protectors. Grumpette doesn't know that yet, but just going on the photos she posts. . . . . . :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, regarding the heat of the day. Sometimes, at the pound, the walkers would just get all the dogs out, go down to the park and sit around under a big tree. The dogs were more than happy.

We used to also carry towels and wet them to keep the dogs cool.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Surprised by the negative comments, all the dog walkers I know walk more then one clients dogs at the same time and will sometimes have their own dogs along as well.

New clients are met with first and the dog assessed to see if it will fit in with the other dogs who are walked.