Choosing The Right Breed

JozMan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised by the negative comments, all the dog walkers I know walk more then one clients dogs at the same time and will sometimes have their own dogs along as well.

New clients are met with first and the dog assessed to see if it will fit in with the other dogs who are walked.

It isn't negative to point out possible pitfalls, becks. :) You don't put a learner driver in charge of a road train. JozMan needs to establish his business, get to know his clients and their wishes and dogs and, most importantly, his own capabilities.

Becks, its different here, not as dog friendly, and if things go wrong the dogs here pay the price.

Its far more laid back in the UK with dogs.

I agree DD,you need to get to know your clients and dogs first.

One thing I do plan on doing and really want to do is walk dogs for the RSPCA so obviously this would be preferred to be done whilst I'm walking someone else's dog of course I would pick the right dogs that ive already had good experience with and would ask the owner if they were fine with a dog from the RSPCA coming along.

I can't see it being a good idea.

If the pound will let you (they wouldn't here) you will be walking a clients dog with a dog with no history. You have no idea what it's vaccinations are, if it's sick or if it has any aggression issues... You could end up in a lot of trouble

One thing I do plan on doing and really want to do is walk dogs for the RSPCA so obviously this would be preferred to be done whilst I'm walking someone else's dog of course I would pick the right dogs that ive already had good experience with and would ask the owner if they were fine with a dog from the RSPCA coming along.

I doubt that would work, from the RSPCA'a point of view or the owners.

I know I definitely would not want my dog walked with a random unknown dog, and the fact that you would even think it is a good idea would strike you off my potential dog walkers list.

Edited by minimax

I can't see it being a good idea.

If the pound will let you (they wouldn't here) you will be walking a clients dog with a dog with no history. You have no idea what it's vaccinations are, if it's sick or if it has any aggression issues... You could end up in a lot of trouble

JozMan - look at what we are saying and what Teebs has said above. Are you not listening :) :) . You obviously want to spread your help, time and love for dogs around, but don't try to mix it all up.

If you want to walk dogs for the RSPCA, well do that.

If you want to start your own business, well do that.

Keep your activities separate while you are learning.

As I've said before and just about everyone has agreed with: build up your client base, don't mix up dogs until you know them (and with some not even then) and your clients and don't mix up unless clients agree. Get to know dogs and the different breeds, the different temperaments, little idiosyncrasies of the individual dogs. Look at this as a journey and start out walking carefully before you are leaping and running. :)

JozMan have you researched and spoken to people who use dog walkers and found out what they look for or what they want in a dog walker, instead of setting out about what YOU want? If you don't set out to meet a clients need, you're doomed from the start in regards to running a business.

If you want to walk dogs for the RSPCA, that's awesome, but that's not a business.

Sorry DD, I think I just said exactly what you said :laugh:

Edited by minimax

JozMan have you researched and spoken to people who use dog walkers and found out what they look for or what they want in a dog walker, instead of setting out about what YOU want? If you don't set out to meet a clients need, you're doomed from the start in regards to running a business.

If you want to walk dogs for the RSPCA, that's awesome, but that's not a business.

Sorry DD, I think I just said exactly what you said :laugh:

Yes, but it would seem to need reinforcing :) . Actually, you have said more and probably more to the point, that JozMan needs to forget about what he wants and think about his business from the prospective clients' points of view.

I think, Joz, that if you're dog walking you'd need to do all these things separately, that is, walk your dog separately, walk RSPCA dogs separately, and walk client dogs seperately.

I doubt the RSPCA would allow it because of insurance purposes. They'd not want to be sued (and neither would you!) if something went wrong. Certainly, dog walking for the RSPCA would gain you good experience and something you could list on your CV for future clients.

Off topic, but re your post, juice. My real introduction to dogs was when I became a volunteer dog walker at a small pound. I started off terrified, having never had anything to do in my entire life with big dogs and never been within spitting distance of a Rottie. They are definitely one my list of must have. In fact my fantasy is when I am a little old[er] lady and all my teeny weenies have gone to god, I will visit Grumpette and have her select two Rotties to wobble around the neighbourhood with me and be my protectors. Grumpette doesn't know that yet, but just going on the photos she posts. . . . . . :laugh: :laugh:

Dear DD

OMG what a huge compliment. I thank you for the very kind words and sentiments.

From Baylee the Chief wobbler

b62bff86-b8ce-4616-a620-f58d43adce27_zps3f249d90.jpg

Taken on Wednesday at the nursing home celebrating Zephyr's 4th birthday

Edited by grumpette

OMG :rofl::rofl: . Thank you Grumpette. Def going to be on your doorstep one day.

If Baylee is a wobbler, how old is he. He looks a youngster. :heart::heart:

I'll bet the nursing home residents just light up when that gorgeous face comes through the door .... look at that smile. I can just see his whole body wagging.

Edited by Danny's Darling

[

No way would i want my dogs walked with a dog from a pound or shelter .

You need to understand you can't gain experience until you have walked dogs in all situations & as already mentioned it isn't what you want but what people are paying you to do .

When it comes to the dog industry you enter a whole different world of the unknown & being so careful.

When walking dogs you have to be fully aware of your pros/cons & that is your own abilities .

I show dogs & have people that help me but there are plenty of people i wouldn't hand my dogs over to because they lack the experience,they lack the ability ,they under estimate what is on the end of the lead & this is so important .

I think you need to look more at what breeds of dogs you fell in control off,what size ,weight,

How you will assess each dog prior to committing to walking them because trust me lead training isn't a priority for many pet owners,How will you assess there temp & abilities in public.

Being a dog walker doesn't simp[ly mean turning up & walking it ,whilst you will be insured once you have hold of that leash you are liable for the dogs actions & as such you need to also be capable of deciding whether those clients are a safety risk or above & beyond your dog handling skills.

Have you done obedience with any of your dogs ??

On your resume what would make you stand out from the crowd??

Word of mouth in the pet industry is your biggest promotion its also the biggest way to kill your business

Baylee will be 11 years old in two weeks time (12th May) hence her walks are more wobble than whizzing these days.

The residents absolutely love our visits

24042013251_zpsa90128a8.jpg

and I get to meet some of the most amazing people, including one lady who will be 101 years old tomorrow :D

Can't think of a more likely way to spread Kennel Cough if it's about. Not a great idea from where I sit.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Can't think of a more likely way to spread Kennel Cough if its about. Not a great idea from where I sit.

Not something I would go along with either. I would not hire a dog walker who did this.

I have used walkers before and would again. But I pay for full attention on the job at hand, which is the care of my dogs.

And that's why I post my ideas on here, right now I admitly have no experience outside my own pets so I love knowing that posting here I will get quality responces from experienced dog lovers so I thank you all for your responces and replies to my ideas.

Good on you Jozman for taking it all in. :thumbsup:

Just remember, a business is just that, it maybe something you enjoy, but always keep in mind its there to make money and by that you need to keep your customers happy.

Make sure you get strict instructions from each owner, i never let any of the dogs i walked say hello to other dogs, its my responsibiblty to keep them safe and avoid incidents.

Its a great way of getting new business too, i often had people when they saw me out walking or pulling up outside, if i did dog walking and asked if i could do theirs too.

I could have picked up alot of business along the way, but just kept it to friends.

Always be in control, don't take on too much, if multiple dogs in a household are too hard to walk togther split them up. :)