Dogs Who Visit Hospitals And Nursing Homes

Chelsea and I have just started with Delta. I love hearing all the stories from the residents about their dogs. The facility I visit has pet birds, rabbits and even chooks!! Something of a surprise for me in the middle of Sydney.

I had both my girls assessed, but only one passed. Now having completed a couple of visits, I can see why the assessment is so important, and particularly the things they assess. The ability to navigate around walking frames calmly is clearly key :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dezzy and I have been Delta Pet Therapy for 4 years now and still look forward to our days we visit....we started in a nursing home and was there for about 2 years but had to leave to allow someone else to go on the days they could visit.....we had a couple of nursing homes we went to but was asked to leave after a couple of visits due not to the residents but the staff who had read in the papers about Dezzys breed and didn't want him there and at first I was a bit down but realised soon that they are the ones who are missing out :thumbsup:

For the last year or so we have been visiting a disability day centre where we have had many many breakthroughs with residents who normally will do nothing will smile, laugh and pat Dezzy as soon as he walks in the door also many residents so happy to see Dezzy, we also visit a dementia nursing home and believe me when Dezzy walks in the door they are all smiles and remember his name but forget mine....I also posted a pic just before xmas with a photo I was giving a resident who has no family in Australia

It is such a rewarding thing to do with a lot of good and bad stories but I feel as long as we can make a difference in somebodys lives with just a visit then it is all worthwhile and such a terrific thing we can do just to make someone happy for a day :)

Oh that is so crappy and very short sighted. I am so sorry that you experienced such breed prejudice.

One of the reasons we were accepted was because being a larger breed, the dogs are able to cope with the not so gentle patting from older people with tremors and the unsteady movements of disabled people.

I agree with you it is rewarding and hearbreaking. Three days after our coat presentation visit one of Zeph's favourite residents passed away. However, he made friends with two new residents on the next visit. Some residents or their visiting relatives can be scared, others are delighted. Some like a visit one day but not the next. You never take it personally as this is the nature of old age.

The unconditional love and acceptance from a dog is priceless to residents.

thanks Grumpette....yes it is a bit disappointing that they discriminate against his breed but we have been to many other places that welcome Dezzy with open arms and do not judge him especially when they see how the residents interact with him....we are starting at a new place soon as well so that will be interesting as it is another disability centre but the residents are more active at this one.....luckly Dezzy doesn't mind his tail, ears and lips being pulled :laugh: .... yes there are many especially in the nursing homes that pass on and there is always a new resident to take their place....one lady who just arrived at the nursing home told Dezzy she is losing her mind and she goes off on a tantrum but she is always pleased to see him :D

Chelsea and I have just started with Delta. I love hearing all the stories from the residents about their dogs. The facility I visit has pet birds, rabbits and even chooks!! Something of a surprise for me in the middle of Sydney.

I had both my girls assessed, but only one passed. Now having completed a couple of visits, I can see why the assessment is so important, and particularly the things they assess. The ability to navigate around walking frames calmly is clearly key :D

that's great Dougal....hope you and Chelsea are really enjoying your visits.....yes the assessment is a major thing and does really get the dogs used to what they will come across when visiting.....if you go to a disability centre there is also very loud noises that the dogs come across but they do get used to the noises although Dezzy wasn't phased by them at all :)

This is something I am very interested in doing sometime in the future. Not with my current dogs though. I am interested more in acute settings like hospitals or maybe hospice. If you are with delta, can you choose where you go?

Do you have any advice for someone like me? :)

Harley, there are lots of options available, including high care facilities, prisons, hospitals, palliative care. Additional health screening is needed for hospital visits, and dogs are also rated with regard to working with children. The local coordinator is a great source of info and does a great job in guiding the right choice for the handler and dog. I went for something low key, as a newby with no experience with aged care, I chose a low care hostel, but it's really up to you.

There is a good video and information on the delta website detailing assessment criteria etc. Delta also provide a comprehensive training day.

Another one here for Caring Canine Companions in SA. Charlie and I volunteered at an aged care home through CCC. One resident in particular was extremely hard to control and very aggressive except when I took the dog in she'd light up and beam and repeat "its a lovely world" all the time he was there. We used to get the residents to pat his fur as part of their exercise to get their fingers working. I really really hope there's a dog visiting when/if I go into aged care!

• 1 month later...

Had two of my dogs assessed and passed thru Delta but then discovered that the facility has to pay an annual fee to Delta for visits. I was a bit confused because I thought the whole things was a volunteer thing.

But often nursing homes etc are still happy to have dogs visit private.

post-23842-0-12545200-1391860850_thumb.jpg

Edited by alpha bet

I'd really like to get Scottie into something like this as he's so laid back. I think he's too old for Delta (we don't know his actual age but the shelter listed him as 10). Should I call delta and enquire or are there other places which might be more open to a senior? I watched the delta assessment video - he'd pass it easily.

Oh, Were in the inner west of Sydney if that helps.

that's great Dougal....hope you and Chelsea are really enjoying your visits.....yes the assessment is a major thing and does really get the dogs used to what they will come across when visiting.....if you go to a disability centre there is also very loud noises that the dogs come across but they do get used to the noises although Dezzy wasn't phased by them at all :)

dezzyno.1 Nominated for Excellence in Service and or Leadership in Canine Affairs for the work she does in this area ! Well done!

dezzyno.1 Nominated for Excellence in Service and or Leadership in Canine Affairs for the work she does in this area ! Well done!

Alright. That is brilliant news. Congratulations :happydance2::thumbsup: