Pet Dogs Stolen Nsw

kiesha09

Plam B, I have spoken with local police (in my area) and they would like to make it VERY clear, KEEP YOUR DOGS SAFE under current circumstance.

Why does breed even come into it? The message is loud and VERY CLEAR.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it helps encourage people to ensure their pets are more securely kept though what's so bad about that?

The fact that it's misinformation that is circulated at the expense of an already maligned breed?

There's a way to educate that doesn't do this and those methods should always be supported above the ones here.

Nic.B, keep your dogs safe.

There, I encouraged you to do so without calling Staffies and crossbreeds vicious or aggressive, or insinuating that all they're good for is dog fighting rings.

:rofl: you are over the top to say the VERY least.

Get over yourself.

Plam B, I have spoken with local police (in my area) and they would like to make it VERY clear, KEEP YOUR DOGS SAFE under current circumstance.

I agree with keeping pets safe (obviously) and reminding people to do that. I don't believe in continuously associating breeds with dog fighting rings that there are no evidence of. Seems ridiculous to me for people to not just jump to conclusions but to also share articles where MP's are quoted as saying Staffies and crossbreeds are vicious and aggressive. :shrug:

Yes you did.

You asked what you should do. I said keep your dogs safe. And that by telling you to keep your dogs safe, I didn't need to resort to implying it's because your dogs are going to get ripped limb by limb by 'vicious and aggressive' Staffies. It's a commentary on the articles.

Edited by Plan B

I agree with keeping pets safe (obviously) and reminding people to do that. I don't believe in continuously associating breeds with dog fighting rings that there are no evidence of. Seems ridiculous to me for people to not just jump to conclusions but to also share articles where MP's are quoted as saying Staffies and crossbreeds are vicious and aggressive. :shrug:

Yes you did.

You asked what you should do. I said keep your dogs safe. And that by telling you to keep your dogs safe, I didn't need to resort to implying it's because your dogs are going to get ripped limb by limb by 'vicious and aggressive' Staffies. It's a commentary on the articles.

Do you LIVE in this area? Do you HONESTY THINK you have any idea at ALL re this local area? The massive land area/ council area/what cops deal with??? I am VERY well aware of the risks and my dogs are always SAFE thank you very much.

Do you LIVE in this area? Do you HONESTY THINK you have any idea at ALL re this local area? The massive land area/ council area/what cops deal with??? I am VERY well aware of the risks and my dogs are always SAFE thank you very much.

I don't really know what's going on here.

I don't need to live in an area to know that there is very little factual evidence given in the articles widely circulated. Nor do I need to live in the area to read the MP's comments that malign specific breeds in said articles. I don't need to live in the area to see these particular approaches as a thinly disguised assault on specific breeds. I also don't need to live in the area to know about the area, nor do I need to live in the area to speak with police about these cases. And I don't need to live in the area to point out all of these things.

I don't really know what's going on here.

I don't need to live in an area to know that there is very little factual evidence given in the articles widely circulated. Nor do I need to live in the area to read the MP's comments that malign specific breeds in said articles. I don't need to live in the area to see these particular approaches as a thinly disguised assault on specific breeds. I also don't need to live in the area to know about the area, nor do I need to live in the area to speak with police about these cases. And I don't need to live in the area to point out all of these things.

Figures.

Yes you did.

You need a lesson in the use of pronouns then.

Anyway, it is clear "as there is no factual evidence" TO PROVE dogs are NOT being stolen and killed for bait in my local area.

So Everything is just fine!!!!!!

Lets all just move on :laugh:

MP's do NOT make any statements to any press unless there is very good reason.

Nor do the Police.

I thought I was pretty clear in comparing myself to the people behind the articles by encouraging people without causing hysteria?

If it helps encourage people to ensure their pets are more securely kept though what's so bad about that?

What do you suggest PB as a dog owner who may be targeted in my own home area, as posted in the OP?

There, I encouraged you to do so without calling Staffies and crossbreeds vicious or aggressive, or insinuating that all they're good for is dog fighting rings.

If that wasn't clear, then apologies for the misunderstanding.

I thought I was pretty clear in comparing myself to the people behind the articles by encouraging people without causing hysteria?

What do you suggest PB as a dog owner who may be targeted in my own home area, as posted in the OP?

If that wasn't clear, then apologies for the misunderstanding.

No worries. For the very first time in DOL I am reporting.

Well, I've just spent two days in Oakland, California with BADRAP, one of the most well respected Pit bull rescue and advocacy group in the states. Donna and Tim have had extensive experience with dogfighters themselves, the police who discover and charge the fighters, and they test the actual dogs used for fighting and determine which dogs are adoptable with retraining and which are to be euthanased (most are rehomable). They assessed the Michael Vick fight bust dogs and retrained and rehomed a number of them (many who are now therapy dogs and live with other dogs).

We discussed yesterday this 'bait dog' phenomenon and these articles that seems to constantly come up in the media about so called stolen 'bait dogs' which draw from no evidence at all.

Their opinion after fifteen years working on fight busts, dogs that have actually been faught and speaking to dogfighters themselves is that as a whole bait dogs don't exist. They have no value to the dogfighter. There is no value in the dog being trained against a dog that doesn't or can't fight back. They want the dogs to develop their skills and that doesn't happen with 'bait dogs'.

They have no doubt that it happens on rare occasions but that is NOT the true dogfighters doing it. It's idiot kids and street dogs that wouldn't even know what the concept of a 'bait dog' was if it wasn't for these idiotic articles constantly being run in the papers. True Dogfighters aren't doing this, and if we stop sensationalizing this crap on no evidence the very very few idiots who copycat after reading these articles just might stop too.

Edited by melzawelza

The idea that you have to blood a dog so it'll get the taste for prey has been around long before articles about bait dogs started.

You can't blame the media solely for an old chestnut that's been passed by word of mouth for years. If it's been warped to suit the current times, picked up and regurgitated then that's something else. But it's been folklore for a lot longer.

Tryhard dogfight idiots who read the newspaper? :shrug:

eta

OK, here's a story I don't really want to repeat

Hand on heart, many years ago I personally met a man who had been reduced to buying guinea pigs to blood his dingoes with. He started off with cheap or free pups (in those days you could buy a large crossbreed pup for $75 - $95 retail if you were desperate).

His name and face became known, he was watched and moved on to easier obtained and concealed FTHG kittens or rabbits.

He couldn't explain why his dingoes needed live animals. Some crap about keeping them antsy and alert and it being the best thing for them. In truth he was just a disgusting pig and a sadist.

So yes there are other reasons animals are stolen. Not all involve bull breeds or fighting but few are pleasant. People can be sick. If you can't absolutely rule out dog fighting except by anecdotal statements and a few stats then you have to look at it as one of many possible scenarios.

Edited by Powerlegs

The idea that you have to blood a dog so it'll get the taste for prey has been around long before articles about bait dogs started.

You can't blame the media solely for an old chestnut that's been passed by word of mouth for years. If it's been warped to suit the current times, picked up and regurgitated then that's something else. But it's been folklore for a lot longer.

The story that pools put a chemical in them so that the water turns purple if you pee has been around for ever and told around the world too, doesn't make it true.

I'm not saying they don't have the dogs fight other animals, I'm saying that these people with more experience with dog fighters and actual fight bust dogs have not seen any evidence that this 'bait dog' idea actually happens on any sort of notable scale. The dogs are faught against other fighting dogs to train them - they want them to have the challenge and the resistance to better their skills. They don't want a dog that will just take it because try can't or won't fight back. It is of no use to them.

It certainty does happen occasionally on a very very small scale, but this is generally by idiot street thugs who have heard about this 'bait dog' idea from stories or the media and decide they want to give it a go.

Maybe if we stop perpetuating the myth over and over and over again it will stop hurting ALL dogs - non pit bull and pit bull type dogs alike.

So does anyone have a theory on where the stolen dogs of the Hawkesbury have gone? Why would they have been stolen - 6 from the same street - and one found dead in a horrific state?

You don't need to be a dog fighting nut to indulge in animal cruelty.

Other possible reasons? Someone stocking up their puppy farm, taking noise issues into their own hands, a disturbed individual stealing dogs to torture them (had one in Canberra not so long ago).... need I go on?

A cluster of thefts like that? I'd be starting with the noise option.

All the more reasons to lock gates, keep your dogs behind your house line (away from front fences), ensure your fences are strong, and desex.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

the body of one small dog was found last week in the Hawkesbury area, after being one of a few dogs stolen from a particular area.

An autopsy is being done by the RSPCA but the dog had been mutilated and also showed signs of being attacked by more than one animal.

Attacked by more than one animal or more than one dog?

Tryhard dogfight idiots who read the newspaper? :shrug:

eta

OK, here's a story I don't really want to repeat

Hand on heart, many years ago I personally met a man who had been reduced to buying guinea pigs to blood his dingoes with. He started off with cheap or free pups (in those days you could buy a large crossbreed pup for $75 - $95 retail if you were desperate).

His name and face became known, he was watched and moved on to easier obtained and concealed FTHG kittens or rabbits.

He couldn't explain why his dingoes needed live animals. Some crap about keeping them antsy and alert and it being the best thing for them. In truth he was just a disgusting pig and a sadist.

So yes there are other reasons animals are stolen. Not all involve bull breeds or fighting but few are pleasant. People can be sick. If you can't absolutely rule out dog fighting except by anecdotal statements and a few stats then you have to look at it as one of many possible scenarios.

Yes according to anecdotal statements and a few stats martians from mars may have kidnapped the dogs for an intergalactic fight dog ring.

Yes there are other reasons why dogs are stolen. Cruel morons as in your example are more plausible than dog fight rings; bait dogs are not in keeping with the psych of a fighting dog.

I do not understand why these threads get so off track.

Is it the comments by the MP in the OP that have everyone jumping up and down?

Regardless, I have spoken with Hawkesbury Police and they have made it very clear this is not a disgruntled dog hater at work on this street/area, nor is it to do with noise complaints or any other possible reason.

I fully agree that at times a nasty person living on a street with an axe to grind who resorts to stealing dogs and or baiting/poisoning them is possible and something very much to consider.

Hawkesbury Police have made it abundently clear to me as a dog owner in the area, that these dogs have been stolen by dog fighters to use as bait.

If you do not belive me then ring Hawkesbury Police yourself.

I have no doubt Police are not able to give off too much info, nor would I.

The advice is keep your dogs with you, if not make sure they are inside the house.

I hope they catch the low life scumbags.