Pup Not Interested In Lunch

BCNut

Hi all

My 13wk old BC girl has started walking off from her lunch. Routinely devours breakfast and dinner but just the last 2 days has shown no interest in lunch. Frustrating because the vet said she's about 20% underweight when she had her shots at 10wks - and I don't feel much difference between then and now when I run my hand across her ribs and back :( She's on Canin puppy.

It's a difficult situation because I want to instil good food bowl behaviour as in, eat when you're given food and finish it up. I've always understood that you should take the food away if she walks off, or stops eating or hasn't finished in 10-15 mins, and if this occurs give half the regular amount until the bowl is emptied then return to full quota.

The training treats I use are high quality - real meat, fritz and cheese and she really loves this. But she only gets this stuff for things I consider really important - toilet training, new behaviours and puppy school - other stuff such as eye contact and puppy zen/impulse control type exercises are done with her biscuits. My rule has been no training unless you finish (or very nearly finish) your biscuits - so as to not teach that she gets to eat the good stuff if she thumbs her nose at the bickies.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Maybe...! Don't think its too soon? Esp. being underweight is my concern I guess. If it's as simple as that, big relief! :) Just scared to start changing anything i'm feeding to something more tasty - as I did this with my 1st BC and he's now so picky its ridiculous! lol!!

Does she happily eat it at brekky and dinner? If so you could try doing as Minimax said. Split her lunch into halves and try dividing it between the two other meals.

Otherwise if you think she is hungry at lunch you could try giving her lunch to her in a quick training session.

Yeah she demolishes brekky and dinner and cleans the bottom of the bowl :) Didn't wan't the bickies for training today :( but she will by tonight, guarantee it...i'll try increasing the quota given for brekky and dinner and miss lunch for now I guess.

Gosh mine is now 5 months and still eating excitedly her small lunch. Im about to start weaning her off it totally over the next few weeks. She wont be happy about that laugh.gif

I don't have any advice to offer sorry, but others will im sure. Not good if he's underweight. Miah is thinnish, but within the right weight for her age and size and breed :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Sounds like she just doesn't want lunch if she eats it at breakfast and dinner!

Weight wise if you are worried try having a chat with your breeder, they may have some tips for you. Being lean isn't a bad thing for a pup, (though there is lean and too lean) I would rather have a pup a little too thin than a fatty, it's much better for their joints and growth.

If you are still worried about her weight I would suggest talking to your vet and maybe starting a thread about it on here? I know there are lots of threads on helping dogs gain weight but I'm not sure which would be suitable for a pup.

She doesn't look skinny or anything - but hard to tell as she's all fluff! And certainly not short on energy - very active, hard to stop her from screaming around everywhere at warp speed :laugh: so thats probably keeping her trim too!

Ok, thanks, i've sent an email to the breeder. Also booked in for vet on wed so we'll see how we're going then. Cheers :)

She doesn't look skinny or anything - but hard to tell as she's all fluff! And certainly not short on energy - very active, hard to stop her from screaming around everywhere at warp speed :laugh: so thats probably keeping her trim too!

Ok, thanks, i've sent an email to the breeder. Also booked in for vet on wed so we'll see how we're going then. Cheers :)

Definitely drop the lunch and try to get her to eat more at breakfast and dinner. If she is still underweight she may need food that is denser in calories and fat, like chicken necks, meaty lamb bones and especially lamb flaps. I even resorted to chunks of cheese with one I had who would not hold weight. Biolac or Divetalact sprinkled dry on the food or made up thick like cream, can also help boost the weight. What does she weigh?

Thanks for the tips dancin. I guess im trying to avoid feeding stuff like that until for fear that she will stop eating the biscuits altogether if she knows theres better stuff to be had. Thats exactly what happened with my first one, who now at 16 months ive just managed to get eating biscuits again - and who remains a tiny boy at 15kg. I'll weigh the girl when she wakes up - enjoying 5 minutes of peace and quiet! :laugh:

Thanks again

Edited by BCNut

Sleep didn't last long! - she's 8.1kg on the bathroom scales. Feels nice n solid to pick up still. What weight do you like girls to sit at when they're fully grown?

When bear was a pup she went through the same stage, we found that the only way she would eat was if she earned it, so did lots of training and she got her meals that way.

I am confident to say as an adult she is the complete opposite and scarfs down anything....if she sees food her pupils dilate so much her eyes look black :rofl:

Yeah I may have created a monster by giving her the good stuff for training. When she gets offered kibble for good behaviour now I just get disdain. Think i'm the only one being trained here :laugh:

One of mine weaned himself off lunches at about the same age. I remember thinking it was a bit young as my other dogs didn't do it till later, but I increased his breakfast and dinner and he was happy as Larry.

Sleep didn't last long! - she's 8.1kg on the bathroom scales. Feels nice n solid to pick up still. What weight do you like girls to sit at when they're fully grown?

If she feels solid then she is probably just small for her age. Puppies and adults vary a lot in size and weight and puppy weight gain depends on how big they were at birth. A puppy who is 200gms at birth will be a lot smaller at 13 weeks than one who started at 500gms. Mine are usually around 6kgs at 8 weeks but I have had some at 8kgs at 8 weeks. I have also seen 3kg at 8 weeks puppies grow to normal size. So 8kgs at 13 weeks is on the smaller side of normal and certainly not unusual. Show bred bitches can have mature weights of anything from about 13kgs to 20kgs depending on height and body length. Around 15kgs - 18kgs is probably average. Mature weight is often not reached until after a litter or being spayed. One of mine grew early being 8kgs at 8 weeks, 14.5kgs at 8 months, still 14.5kgs at 22 months when she was mated. She matured out at 17kgs when she filled out after the litter and stayed that weight.

BCNut, my girl was only 7.5 kg at almost 14 week's & was pretty lean. But she never stopped & she still hasn't :laugh: She has been spayed & now at 2.5 years of age weighs 19kg & she currently is on a diet

as she needs to be 18kg. So I wouldn't worry if she doesn't want her lunch as Stella didn't either, too busy.. I would definitely follow Dancinbc's advice, she's a wealth of info on anything BC's :D Make

breakfast & dinner bigger & add a tasty non weight bearing bones/f lamb flaps. Chic neck/wings. A little grated cheese. A small amount of diced raw chic/beef/lamb. Just a few ideas :)

Otherwise if you really want to continue the lunch time meal, just give any one of the above suggestions on their own at her usual lunch time.

Edited by BC Crazy

Our litter of puppies are currently 7 weeks old and are between 3 and 3.5kgs. They are an ideal weight, ribs are easily felt but not spine, visible tucked in waist even with the fluff. Puppies should not be carrying any weight at all, they have growing joints and there is no point stressing those joints by making them carry extra weight.

If she isn't eating lunch but happy to eat other times my feeling would be that she just isn't hungry then. What is she eating for the other meals? If it is the same for every meal then I would assume she just doesn't want lunch.

Got my amstaff boy at 11 weeks and was 6.5 kilos. Now he is a 32kg of solid muscle!

Remember a dogs stomach is the size of a fist. My dogs are a little heavier so in your case less than a fist.

Edited by saithroth

Our litter of puppies are currently 7 weeks old and are between 3 and 3.5kgs. They are an ideal weight, ribs are easily felt but not spine, visible tucked in waist even with the fluff. Puppies should not be carrying any weight at all, they have growing joints and there is no point stressing those joints by making them carry extra weight.

If she isn't eating lunch but happy to eat other times my feeling would be that she just isn't hungry then. What is she eating for the other meals? If it is the same for every meal then I would assume she just doesn't want lunch.

After all, she decided she wanted lunch yesterday :shrug: and a nice frozen meaty chuck bone :)

All her meals are royal canin junior.