Desexing Puppies At 6-8 Weeks Of Age

ChewieTAG

Hi all,

Just wondering what are the cons of having smaller breeds to be desexed at such young age?

I saw a lot of articles online mentioning about their "puppy like" mentality and / or taller body structure and so on. Health problems and so on. confused.gif

Hope to get some ideas.

Cheers

Im not a breeder so cant advise you sorry on all the technical side of this, but there have been posts about this subject in the general section of Dol.

I think very early desexing can lead to growth and developmental problems? and I think especially in the larger breeds, not so much the toy breeds, altho its still not recommended.

In my contract ( well paperwork sounds nicer) the breeder has requested Miah be desexed from around 6 months if I remember right. Which is will be end of this month. Shes already booked in :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I guess I am more concern about the maturing part in terms of mentality.

It may be very puppy-like forever?

I've never heard of that. I personally don't agree with desexing tiny babies. Is there a particular reason you want to? :)

I've never heard of that. (...)

I have heard owners of working gun dogs cite this reason, particularly in Germany, where many dogs still fulfil this role. They say the dogs seem to stay more playful than others of the same age and can be more prone to toying with game rather than performing fast straight-forward retrieves. Of course this is all anecdotal but many of the people I have spoken to about this seem to agree. In general, entire animals seem to be preferred over neutered ones.

Not some thing I agree with at all. I know people do desex at 8 to 10 weeks, especially the rspca. I tend to think the pup needs all it's bits inside to make sure it matures well. My daughter got an underpriviladeged pup from the rspca a few years ago and it has had continance problems, and ligament problems all it's life. Cost her a fortune in vet fee's.

The PMA I gave her has cost her very very little in it's life. That may change but I will leave my pups until they are at least 8 months,

I've never heard of that. I personally don't agree with desexing tiny babies. Is there a particular reason you want to? :)

it was due to a hernia that needed to be fix at 6 - 8 weeks old and vet has recommended to desexed at the same time to avoid for putting him under few months later

Not some thing I agree with at all. I know people do desex at 8 to 10 weeks, especially the rspca. I tend to think the pup needs all it's bits inside to make sure it matures well. My daughter got an underpriviladeged pup from the rspca a few years ago and it has had continance problems, and ligament problems all it's life. Cost her a fortune in vet fee's.

The PMA I gave her has cost her very very little in it's life. That may change but I will leave my pups until they are at least 8 months,

I saw few articles citing the health as you've mentioned. this would be a male. that would mean a potential ligament problem.. small breeds

I saw few articles citing the health as you've mentioned. this would be a male. that would mean a potential ligament problem.. small breeds

no it's a small xbred female. some sort of kelpie mix by the look of her.

I have been desexing my toy poodles at about week 10 for 8 years now.

Great feedback, no problems whatsoever & many have kept in contact.

They may grow a bit taller but is an inch a big difference ? That's about all it may be in toy breeds. Mentally they are absolutely fine. No incontinence reported & its a nothing operation at this young age, 1 or 2 stitches at most & they come home as though nothing has been done. They are only knocked out for about 20 minutes, if that.

The risk of my breed ending up puppy farmed is far bigger than my worries about doing early desexing so I guess that is what you have to weigh up.

it was due to a hernia that needed to be fix at 6 - 8 weeks old and vet has recommended to desexed at the same time to avoid for putting him under few months later

I see. Personally I'd put my pup under again, rather than desex early. And I don't take the decision to put a dog under lightly at all.

I see. Personally I'd put my pup under again, rather than desex early. And I don't take the decision to put a dog under lightly at all.

wouldn't that be too much to put the dog under again in such short time? confused.gif Usually the vet wouldn't recommend it.

My Snowy get his hernia and desexed done when he was 8 months. Vet prefer to get it done one time.

as for the other male pup I am referring, his hernia was too big and risky.

wouldn't that be too much to put the dog under again in such short time? confused.gif Usually the vet wouldn't recommend it.

My Snowy get his hernia and desexed done when he was 8 months. Vet prefer to get it done one time.

You could easily wait until a dog was 12-14 months old before desexing.

You could easily wait until a dog was 12-14 months old before desexing.

Yes, this is what I meant :)

Not sure why more people don't opt for tubal litigation instead of castration? Seems this would resolve all issues by stopping puppy from being bred against breeder's wishes but allows normal hormones to be produced for puppy to mature naturally?

Edited by BlackJaq

Not sure why more people don't opt for tubal litigation instead of castration? Seems this would resolve all issues by stopping puppy from being bred against breeder's wishes but allows normal hormones to be produced for puppy to mature naturally?

I had my last litter done via this option and results were great! Now at nearly 1 yr of age, all bar two of the males have now been fully desexed and everyone is happy :)

I don't know about hormones and the like, but I do know toy breeds can crash very easily when they're that young. I can't imagine how well they'd cope with an operation which is not really needed at that age. I'd wait till they're AT LEAST 12 weeks. At least!