Multiple Dog Permits With Coucils

Kirislin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you apply for a multiple dog permit do you have to renew it every year or two?

With our council it is called an excess animal permit and it is an annual fee just like the dog registrations.

When you apply for a multiple dog permit do you have to renew it every year or two?

With our council it is called an excess animal permit and it is an annual fee just like the dog registrations.

How much is it?

I applied for it a while back but we didn't have to pay anything with Miah until when next lot of rego's are due for our other 2 Cavs, which is coming up soon. I believe puppies under 12 months are free until first year regos. (well here in our council it is) Its yearly here in SA. She will be desexed by then, and shes already been microchipped, so it will be a bit cheaper when we have to pay for her and the other 2 :)

If at any stage we go down to 2 dogs, the permit has to be applied for again if we should get another dog.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I am applying for my third dog permit in a couple of weeks. Its $164 for the application which is a one off fee and then $94 to register the dog. The registration fee is then payable annually. They don't offer concession for desexing on the third or fourth dog. It's 4 maximum.

Oh really lollypup ! We didn't have to pay for an application for ours !

Depends on the council area I think. I am wondering whether to apply for 4 straight up,save applying again later, ya know, just in case ;)

ETA the only thing is you need to know all the details about the dog straight up. Breed, colour, sex, name, chip number. Its meant to be for people to apply after they have the dog. They even told me to wait until the new pup is 12 weeks old but I feel like its safer to have it all approved before I get the pup.

Edited by Lollipup

Here you apply yearly & the permit can be refused because it requires neighbours approving unless in an area with different rules again.

Note sure of the fees

Yes, same here. I think it's a rip off. I think the permit should be for the life of the dogs at least, with a disclaimer that if there's valid complaints it can be withdrawn.

Depends on the council area I think. I am wondering whether to apply for 4 straight up,save applying again later, ya know, just in case ;)

When a friend of mine applied for her 5 dog license the officer just said "how about I just give you a 6 dog license, save me coming back in 6 months?" (she had just got a 4 dog license a few months prior!) :laugh:

Here you apply yearly & the permit can be refused because it requires neighbours approving unless in an area with different rules again.

Note sure of the fees

Yes, same here. I think it's a rip off. I think the permit should be for the life of the dogs at least, with a disclaimer that if there's valid complaints it can be withdrawn.

I think if there are complaints they can be withdrawn here too, but its not very clear. Will have to double check.

the form we got did have clauses on it if they grant you a permit.. but no pre approval from neigbours needed unless you have had complaints made about your dogs in the past (which we haven't):)

Mind you there are heaps of dogs around here always on the loose that aren't even registered at all ..

Be wary of any idiotic procedural requirements of your council too.

There are some where you can't apply for the extra dog permit before you have the dog. No explanation of what to do with said dog if you get knocked back of course.

Yes, that's how it is here. I was always worried about that too but it has to be a valid complaint, such as noise, smell or inadequate fencing allowing the dogs to roam I think.

I have a 3 dog permit, it cost nothing and carries over each year. Individual dogs are not noted on it.

That's how I think they should be. Fair enough to be charged the initial application fee because they do an inspection, but then I think it should just be continuous, not paid annually as is the case here.

I have a 3 dog permit, it cost nothing and carries over each year. Individual dogs are not noted on it.

That's how I think they should be. Fair enough to be charged the initial application fee because they do an inspection, but then I think it should just be continuous, not paid annually as is the case here.

I didn't even have an inspection unless they came one day when I wasn't home and peered over the fence.

Permits were new in last year, they had them years and years ago and let it lapse so were getting them going again. Will be interesting to see what will happen when I want to change dog details, as in one died and I got another.