Need Help Please

Cougar

Gosh I'm surprised Rebanne. I honestly thought they would feel the cold too much as they have a such little natural coat to be outside of a night. Especially in a colder climate.

They are obviously a hardier breed than I thought :)

If they had little bedding and coats, yes they would feel it but plenty of soft fluffy bedding and rebanne said a couple of coats and they should be fine. My house gets cold enough once I have gone to bed that the dogs would be freezing with no coats so wouldn't be any different to a good draght free house outside with blankets and coats.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old terrier would bark in the night, too - usually wanted to go out (despite there being a dog flap). I plugged a night light (from Safeway) into the power point in the laundry and then she was happy to go in and out of the dog flap to relieve herself during the night. It could be an easy solution and worth a try ?

One of my Border Collies used to bark at night on occassion & sometimes in the day at what seemed like nothing in his later years & he never, ever was a barker previously.

He was diagnosed with Dementia. I am no Vet but this is sounding a bit like Dementia symptoms to me. One of the first signs was this random barking & I also noticed a distinct

change in his eye's. His once very loving, shiny eye's had sought of lost some of their soul for want of a better explanation. That was one of the saddest things to see.

Edited by BC Crazy

The bunny is back here after being missing for months so that may also be why my old guy was barking. The light coloured wild bunny has hopped around the back fenced off part of my block for years on & off. Sometimes you don't know what is out & about in the night.

Ok so this isn't a dog, but my Siamese cat started getting more and more vocal at night a couple of months back but seemed fine otherwise. After a couple of weeks of this we were taking it more seriously, had a bit of a read online and ended up getting a night light and a feliway diffuser (the DAP diffuser equivalent for cats).

She was quiet from the first night we turned these on, however we also took her to the vets as she started to seem not herself and long story short, she ended up being diagnosed with pancreatitis and IBD. In hindsight the increased vocalization was really the first indication that she was uncomfortable and things weren't quiet right.

Hope things settle down, but agree a vet check is probably sensible :)

Thought I'd pop back with an update. So we went to the vet on Monday to have a check up. He is as healthy as could be - eyes fine, hearing fine, urine test normal, blood test normal. So for a 9 1/2 year old dog he's in excellent shape!

I've got some reading to do of the stuff the vet gave me re: cognitive dysfunction (or sunset syndrome as he called it). I'm still exploring that as he's not showing any of the other signs, just the barking at night. We've changed the bedding in the laundry so that blankets can't get scrunched up and we're going to try a radio overnight - hopefully this might stop him hearing possums and other things outside, as we think this might be a contributing factor. So we will see....

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.