How Old Do Studs Stay Fertile For?

I am curious to know How old do Studs stay fertile for?

I am sure it would be different between breeds but would love to know different people's experiences with regard to this. At what age do you think a studs' fertility would begin to drop off (assuming he can do a natural mating). I have known of Labs that have been successful sires at 10 years but is this unusual?

Two of my stud dogs were producing good litters at 10 and 11, now both deceased, I have another boy here who is turning ten in Sept. and currently has a two week old litter.

Have to be careful what you say these days as they want to make it illegal to breed a male dog over six but I have had a beautiful litter or two of puppies out of a 13 year old boy and probably had some older than that over the last 30 plus years.

My toy poodle sired a litter at 10. All good, nice litter. He has turned 11 now but not tried him at this age. He certainly reacted strongly to my 2 girls on heat a few weeks ago & would have mated had I let him.

Not so much a breed thing but an individual dog thing. Oldest I have used was almost 13, and I have bought a dog out of a litter sired by a 13.5 year old - his last litter. Wanted to use a 13 year old many many years ago but unfortunately his owners wanted to use him too and both bitches came in season at the same time so I missed out. 6 months down the track he really was past it :laugh:

My brother bought a pup who he learned his dad was 16 when he sired him. A friend had hers to 16 and 18.but then her friends chihuahua lived to 21.

Is it true its going to become law you cant use a male over 6?

But then looks like the dog world is going the way of the camel. Run by a committee, and look where that got the camel. :rofl:

Forget where I read it, but it said the new laws intend to make it illegal to breed from a cat that tests posative to was it feline aids? yet also make it law they must be vaccinated as kittens and thus will test posative so, end of human owned cats and welcome to the world of ferals in one generation.

yep. nothing like politicions to get our world straightend out for us.

Edited by inez

Have to be careful what you say these days as they want to make it illegal to breed a male dog over six but I have had a beautiful litter or two of puppies out of a 13 year old boy and probably had some older than that over the last 30 plus years.

Makes a bit of a mockery out of things when a friend said the other day, yes, they are by my 20 year old semen :)

Why on earth would they put a stop to males over 6 years mating? In some breeds certain health problems can take a few years to show themselves (and there is no dna test for).

Why on earth would they put a stop to males over 6 years mating? In some breeds certain health problems can take a few years to show themselves (and there is no dna test for).

Actually to be honest when I saw this in the proposal I went looking for why on earth would they do that and I wasnt able to find even a tiny hint as to why - .The proposal wants then to only mate one bitch at a time - though Ive never known a dog with an extra penis so not sure how that could happen anyway .Puppy farmers may know more than us and why they have all of those dogs with doodle in their name rofl1.gif They also said it was O.K. to mate them every day for 60 days straight if you gave them 2 days rest after the 60 days. That would be something to see wouldn't it ? rofl1.gif Might make the Guinness book of records!