Birth Announcement! Imp 375 From Gras Last Week

This is Elly, who we rescued last Tuesday. She whelped yesterday (Friday) and she is a very attentive little mum:

post-33033-0-78249400-1369428378_thumb.jpg

Our information via the Wagga grapevine is that Elly is six years old and this is her sixth litter eek1.gif Now it will be her last!

Janey

Guest Wildthing

Fantastic outcome for mum and bubs. Glad this will be her last litter - poor girl has had far too many pups in such a short space of time. Can't help but wonder how many of the pups are not desexed and breeding!!!

Well done JaneyA and BFPR

I know I'm ignorant about the ways of country pounds but if you had not rescued this dog what would have happened to her? Would she have given birth in the pound? What would have happened to her then and to her pups? Or would she have been euthanised when she was so close to giving birth? The pound notes just say that she may be pregnant.

She's a gorgeous looking dog. Thankyou for rescuing her and her babies :thumbsup: I hope they all find wonderful homes.

Pretty much any pound in NSW would have had to euthanaise her (and any pups she may have given birth to whilst there) if not for rescue. They can't sell a pregnant or nursing bitch to the public straight from the pound.

And that's why rescue are so fastidious about desexing everything before rehoming... we see so many of these mummas and/or bubs in pounds... *sigh*

T.

Pretty much any pound in NSW would have had to euthanaise her (and any pups she may have given birth to whilst there) if not for rescue. They can't sell a pregnant or nursing bitch to the public straight from the pound.

And that's why rescue are so fastidious about desexing everything before rehoming... we see so many of these mummas and/or bubs in pounds... *sigh*

T.

Thankyou for this info. I am quite horrified. :thumbsup: for rescue. How can anyone leave their dog which is about to give birth at a pound? Some people disgust me. It's hardly the dog's fault she is pregnant.

Pregnant dogs and or bitches with pups do get sold from pounds, or given away. Not all are inclined to kill when there is no rescue. Depends on the staff involved.

But this family is extremely fortunate.

Edited by Fairy tails

Here is the one-day-old photo. All are doing very well and gaining heaps of weight every day. Elly races outside to do her business, then races back into the bathroom to them - heaven help the cat if he gets in her way, LOL!

post-33033-0-10418100-1369945853_thumb.jpg

I'll take more photos today now that they're a week old.

I'm pretty sure the regulations in NSW are that pregnant bitches and neonates aren't supposed to be sold from the pound...

T.

Really? Not that I'm saying this isn't true but I've not heard of it before. I can understand why it would be so but I can't recall reading it in any legislation. Can you point me to where this is stated.

Years ago, before rescue became as common as it is now and before pounds developed relationships with rescue services, bitches were sold pregnant, gave birth in the pound and were euthanased.

Here is the one-day-old photo. All are doing very well and gaining heaps of weight every day. Elly races outside to do her business, then races back into the bathroom to them - heaven help the cat if he gets in her way, LOL!

post-33033-0-10418100-1369945853_thumb.jpg

I'll take more photos today now that they're a week old.

She looks like a nice little dog. Much smaller than I thought from the first pics.