Rspca's New Call For Donations

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Are they for real? Could you get any lower to ask for money "we're begging for monthly donors"

https://www.facebook.com/RSPCA.Victoria?fref=ts

Am I reading this right? Is it some trick tactic to try and get more funds?

WHAT IS THE BIG BEG?

We’re sure you know all about the great work we do at the RSPCA to care for and protect animals; but what you may not have realised is that only 3% of our operating expenses are granted to us by the State Government.

So that’s where The Big Beg comes in!

WHY ARE WE BEGGING?

We’re begging for monthly donations so we can ensure our doors are always open. Our four-legged friends rely on us, but this time around we’re relying on them to raise a paw and spread the word about The Big Beg!

WHAT DO MONTHLY DONATIONS CONTRIBUTE TO?

By becoming a Monthly Donor you can help rescue thousands of animals from cruelty and neglect, as well as rehabilitate and rehome injured, stray or abandoned animals.

- $15 a month helps fund our adoption services.

- $20 a month helps to micro-chip one animal.

- $35 a month helps the RSPCA Shelter Team rehabilitate an injured animal.

- $60 a month helps vaccinate an animal, protecting them from illness and disease.

- $100 a month helps to implement animal welfare awareness campaigns in the community.

HOW DO YOU GET INVOLVED?

After becoming a monthly donor (hint, hint), take a video of an animal begging (or trying to!) and submit it here.

Your video, shared online, will help spread The Big Beg and, in turn, ensure we’re always available for animals in need.

Edited by donatella

The 3% figure is a bit disingenuous. That's what the State Govt gives them for the investigation and prosecution activities. But they get a big income stream from local governments by providing pound services. The Vic. RDPCA has to pay for their shiny, new building at Burwood.

The 3% figure is a bit disingenuous. That's what the State Govt gives them for the investigation and prosecution activities. But they get a big income stream from local governments by providing pound services. The Vic. RDPCA has to pay for their shiny, new building at Burwood.

Exactly - 3% might come from state government, but what about their pound contracts? That's local government funding. Each is worth a few hundred thousand, depending on the area, proximity to the shelter, etc etc.

In Qld they regularly get one off monies through the gambling funds (administered by the state govt)to purchase goods/equipment/vehicles, refurb buildings and even build whole new facilities. I don't know if other states have the same grants system but I know for a fact that the RSPCA is often successful with these funding rounds to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year here in Qld.

Whilst these funds are for specific purposes it does free up other internal funds for other purposes.

Maybe they didn't make as much money from MPW this year? I was personally shocked to see how much they were charging other not-for-profit groups (inc other rescue groups) for stalls at the event. I just wasn't feeling the 'all creatures great and small' love. Peiradise still dressed up (inc the doggies) and walked to draw attention to the group. Apparently those lime green doggy tu-tus and fairy wings worked a treat!

PS If anyone wants to know how to make doggy tu-tus of neck ruffles just let me know!

- $60 a month helps vaccinate an animal, protecting them from illness and disease.

- $100 a month helps to implement animal welfare awareness campaigns in the community.

Hmmm... $20 to microchip 1 animal? Chips cost approx $5 each, implanting course $300 (one-off cost)

$60 to vaccinate 1 animal? 1 vial of C3 costs around $20-$25 - just about anyone can do a subcut injection and have it signed off by a vet.

$35 to rehab an animal for 1 month? This is a little low IMHO - but we all know that a lot of that just isn't happening after the temp tests anyways, so the figure is probably correct for them.

$100 won't buy much in the way of advertising for community awareness of welfare issues - but way more money will definitely be spent to "beg" for more money...

T.

Whilst a chip might cost $5, and a vaccination only $60, the resources required to implant that chip would increase the cost per dog. By resources I mean employee costs (wages, insurance and super) and equipment and facilities.

You cannot compare the RSPCA costs to that of your average rescue. Surely people recognise that.

Whilst a chip might cost $5, and a vaccination only $60, the resources required to implant that chip would increase the cost per dog. By resources I mean employee costs (wages, insurance and super) and equipment and facilities.

You cannot compare the RSPCA costs to that of your average rescue. Surely people recognise that.

Then divide that cost by how many dogs can be vacced and chipped in a day...

T.

Then divide that cost by how many dogs can be vacced and chipped in a day...

T.

More doesn't equate to less out.

Lets say it takes 2 staff to chip. One to bring the dog up from the kennels or to do the paperwork, and one to actually physically insert the chip. Each person takes 15 minutes to perform their task. One is a vet on $40/hr, the other a clerk on $18/hr. Just in time alone you have approx $14 per chipped dog. Then you have super, insurance and wage taxes, facilities, utilities and everything else that is required to chip that dog.

Comparing rescue organisations, regardless of how effectively they are run, with a major organisation such as the RSPCA is wrong.

the RSPCA is a business. It is a major welfare organisation with operations across Australia. They employ professionals to manage and operate them. They're not run by your local animal lover who wants to save dogs from euthanasia and who volunteer their time to do so.

Maybe they could chip in from their profits and put some of those towards the care for the animals?

You don't think they care for the animals they have in their care well enough?

Are they for real? Could you get any lower to ask for money "we're begging for monthly donors"

https://www.facebook.com/RSPCA.Victoria?fref=ts

Am I reading this right? Is it some trick tactic to try and get more funds?

WHAT IS THE BIG BEG?

We’re sure you know all about the great work we do at the RSPCA to care for and protect animals; but what you may not have realised is that only 3% of our operating expenses are granted to us by the State Government.

So that’s where The Big Beg comes in!

WHY ARE WE BEGGING?

We’re begging for monthly donations so we can ensure our doors are always open. Our four-legged friends rely on us, but this time around we’re relying on them to raise a paw and spread the word about The Big Beg!

WHAT DO MONTHLY DONATIONS CONTRIBUTE TO?

By becoming a Monthly Donor you can help rescue thousands of animals from cruelty and neglect, as well as rehabilitate and rehome injured, stray or abandoned animals.

HOW DO YOU GET INVOLVED?

After becoming a monthly donor (hint, hint), take a video of an animal begging (or trying to!) and submit it here.

Your video, shared online, will help spread The Big Beg and, in turn, ensure we’re always available for animals in need.

Has anyone actually seen any animal welfare awareness campaigns in the media - I haven't.

Obviously someone thought the "begging" approach was a cute play on words.

I choose to donate to AWL actually because they don't get any government funding at all.

Maybe they could chip in from their profits and put some of those towards the care for the animals?

You don't think they care for the animals they have in their care well enough?

I'm just saying if they are lacking in funds, which they seem to be if they are begging for donations, perhaps they could look closer to home for some cash...

The RSPCA are doing what is necessary for a charitable organisation. You don't like that marketing message? Im not sure I think it's a good one either however, they're being proactive to ensure they maintain their income streams. And you know what, a good number of rescues could learn from their tactics instead of claiming how poor they are and how they run off the small of an oily rag like its a badge of honour.

Guest donatella

One of the Pom breeders posted this story yesterday in our group (her daughter breeds Min Pin so she has a keen interest in them):

OK I am really angry, the RSPCA seized some dogs in southern NSW some of them were Min Pins two of which were 5 months old I had spoken to the supervisor of the Yagoona Shelter where these babies are, I spoke to her today and advised them I had a home for at least one, a couple who have two min pins both desexed happy to pay what ever the costs would be, they know and love the breed this person said she didnt know about them but would let me know. Found out a few hours later the 5 month old Min Pins had already been PTS :(

Who would support these jerks?

Edited by donatella

I can't see how you get a 50% euth rate in QLD. It says that more than 18,000 animals were taken in with 5242 euthanised.

Overall, it seems that cat euth rates are the highest, which is what you would expect and the national euth rate for dogs is around 25%.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest donatella

I have poor graph reading skills...

NSW doesn't look to crash hot, 11,989 total dogs, 4862 of them euth'd.

Given that the RSPCA is responsible for the seizure of abused animals I think this would skew euth rates to be higher than average.

To clarify, I am not a support or detractor of the RSPCA.